How can so many scientists have been so wrong?

Ugh. What is going on. Linda! Help!

http://www.slate.com/articles/healt...n_psychology_may_have_just_been_debunked.html

Oh Boy.

This isn’t the first time that an idea in psychology has been challenged—not by a long shot. A “reproducibility crisis” in psychology, and in many other fields, has now been well-established. A study out last summer tried to replicate 100 psychology experiments one-for-one and found that just 40 percent of those replications were successful. A critique of that study just appeared last week, claiming that the original authors made statistical errors—but that critique has itself been attacked for misconstruing facts, ignoring evidence, and indulging in some wishful thinking.

S

Sciborg_S_Patel

It'll be interesting to see where mainstream science compares with parapsychology is terms of quality of experiments.

Also interesting the skeptics defending us from "pseudoscience", whatever that is, missed all these issues....

S

Sciborg_S_Patel

Replication project investigates self-control as limited resource

A new research replication project, involving 24 labs and over 2100 participants, failed to reproduce findings from a previous study that suggested that self-control is a depletable resource. The findings are published as part of a Registered Replication Report in Perspectives on Psychological Science, a journal of the Association for Psychological Science.

Over the last twenty years, numerous studies have provided evidence supporting the idea that our capacity for self-control is finite - using self-control on one task reduces an individual's ability to exert self-control on a subsequent task. But recent analyses have challenged the strength of this so-called ego depletion effect.

Gaining a clearer understanding of the ego depletion effect is important given that our ability to override impulses is critical to everyday functioning and has been implicated in long-term outcomes related to health, achievement, and well-being.

Psychology = Pseudoscience that operates under the assumption that the laws of the universe don't apply to us. This is what you get...

S

Sciborg_S_Patel

Psychology = Pseudoscience that operates under the assumption that the laws of the universe don't apply to us. This is what you get...
I don't follow. Can you elaborate?

If anything, I think the mechanistic/behaviorist failures of the past still cast their shadow on psychology and this might in fact account for the failure of the field.

The industry is a complete joke. Most psychologists around here have crappy offices or work out of their home. To be fair, it's partially due to how insurance restricts how/where they can practice and apply modern methods. Results may vary, but I was very lucky to find a solid psychologist and I still had to work with her for months and give her repeated book advice in order to get to that point.

There is a massive technology void in psychology which is my career focus now. It's a love/hate kind of relationship.

Last edited:
S

Sciborg_S_Patel

The industry is a complete joke. Most psychologists around here have crappy offices or work out of their home. To be fair, it's partially due to how insurance restricts how/where they can practice and apply modern methods. Results may vary, but I was very lucky to find a solid psychologist and I still had to work with her for months and give her repeated book advice in order to get to that point.

There is a massive technology void in psychology which is my career focus now. It's a love/hate kind of relationship.
Where is "around here"?

I also am not sure if you mean psychologist or psychiatrist?