Infinite births?

Brian_the_bard

Lost Pilgrim
I was once contemplating birth and how the experience is said to be traumatic for the child and I wondered, does the child believe itself to be dying when in fact it is being born? Does this tell us anything about our own future "deaths"? Are all lives of limited duration with a further death/rebirth to come? I am not referring to reincarnation here but perhaps being born into different dimensions or something completely different. I don't know what evidence we can possibly find to answer these questions but I am happy just to have a philosophical discussion, a kind of "what if?...".:)

I was once contemplating birth and how the experience is said to be traumatic for the child

Coincidentally yesterday I was watching an old James Stewart movie, "Harvey" - about the six-foot three-and-a-half inch rabbit. There's a scene where Dr Sanderson is attempting to explain about various types of trauma, he starts with the birth trauma, the shock of being born, at which point Elwood interrupts, saying, "That's the one we never get over" at which all present enjoy the joke.

I must say after that I do find it difficult to treat that specific topic with seriousness myself as well which may be an injustice on my part.

But to attempt a little seriousness. At some earlier point in my life when I was attempting to come to terms with my own life and how it all fitted together, I did delve into all sorts of psychological theories, both on and off the beaten track. Having done so, birth itself wasn't an event which seemed to stand out for me personally, things which took place later seemed much more substantial. But even that wasn't enough, none of the traumas I could consider seemed sufficient to account for my state of being. Thus I was led to consider previous lifetimes and possible events in those other lives as being the root cause of the greater traumas, at least for me. In this of course everyone is different.

Sorry if this is somewhat of a diversion from the intended topic of this thread. By all means let's try to steer it back on track.

I don't know... but there's got to be some important piece of information in the fact that life starts with passage through a dark tunnel into a bright light where loved ones (hopefully) welcome you home, and life also reportedly ends with a similar experience.

I was once contemplating birth and how the experience is said to be traumatic for the child and I wondered, does the child believe itself to be dying when in fact it is being born? Does this tell us anything about our own future "deaths"? .:)
Some children do some children don't. Some adults do, some adults don't.

There are some schools of psychotherapy that pay considerable attention to birth trauma and re-birthing.

There are some schools of mysticism that practice dying before final physical death. "Die before you die".

Often with challenging experiences it is helpful to have some information to be prepared to better appreciate the experience.

Sorry if this is somewhat of a diversion from the intended topic of this thread. By all means let's try to steer it back on track.
Not at all. Anything interesting that comes up in the thread is most welcome and the anecdote about Harvey was hilarious!:)

I don't know... but there's got to be some important piece of information in the fact that life starts with passage through a dark tunnel into a bright light where loved ones (hopefully) welcome you home, and life also reportedly ends with a similar experience.
I once thought that maybe the NDE tunnel was a memory of this but then discovered that people born by cesarian (sorry if I have spelt that wrong) have also experienced the tunnel.

Back