Mod+ Interview with Paul Revis, Organizer of The TED Protest Coming April 2nd

Paul Revis is organizing a protest April 2nd at TED’s New York office to ask that TED reinstate Rupert Sheldrake’s talk and release the names of their anonymous science board. He has also started a petition for PhD’s and MD’s to show that Sheldrake’s ideas have scientific support. The website for the protest can be found here: http://setsciencefree.org

While the petition is solely for PhD’s and MD’s the physical protest in New York has now been opened up to everyone.

Before I get into the interview, I want to point out that this purely scientific protest is a unique event in the history of mankind. There is no religion involved, no philosophical axes to grind. It is solely about accepting evidence and allowing theories that contradicts prevailing attitudes and beliefs and following it wherever it leads.

Paul, tell us a little bit about yourself:

Hi Craig, thank you for taking an interest in this protest and interviewing me. I’ve been a long time fan of TED and I’ve always had an interest in science and in freedom of speech. I’ve been interested in people that push the boundaries of our present knowledge and ask the hard questions. Even when I disagree with someone’s theories, I will still fight for them to be heard. My day job is as Product Development Manager of Integral E-Stores.

What motivated you to organize this protest?

I felt TED was disrespectful to the scientific community and the spirit of science itself. I have also become weary of having to defend my own personal views against irrational arguments. Many times, I have noticed people, including scientists and academics dismissing research without even having looked at it. This is troublesome and needs to be confronted.

What made you want to do a one year anniversary protest?

Simply because it is one year since everything has happened and we have yet to see a substantial answer. Rather instead we have nebulous comments by an unknown board and a load of comments, articles, statements, and speculations. The door is has still yet to be opened and now we all know that it is very much there.

How did this protest come about?
Read the rest on my blog:
http://weilerpsiblog.wordpress.com/...rganizer-of-the-ted-protest-coming-april-2nd/

Yeah, someone else sent me a link to another article about this. I'm going to address it after the protest is over. That kind of attitude isn't going to fly for much longer.
So apparently the problem with Wikipedia is Wikipedia itself. Firm bias by the owner/founder. Rather than censor, they could simply mandate tags that spell out when something is not currently accepted by the establishment.

I'm glad you like it. I tried very hard to make the book readable despite being stuffed to the gills with information.
Well, it's concise and I don't think it could have been said any better. And I've been at this stuff for 17 years so I know the challenge you faced. And like I said, I even learned some things :)

Cheers,
Bill

Waiting for the protest to start, with a mixture of hope (we proponents seem to grow stronger - steadily, but persistently) and anxiety (how many people who support psi in the Web would do the same in the actual reality?).

Well, we'll learn it tomorrow - now it's April Fool Day shady evening (in European part of Russia). Whether there would be many people or not, the precedent itself is remarkable. It seems to be the very first massive pro-psi public protest. I can't remember anything like that before!

We are going from the Internet (the primary game-changer in psi debate) to the streets. At last. After 150 years of supresssion of research (and centuries of supression of phenomena themselves - first by religious, than by ideological authorities).

However, we should not cry too much for the "terrible past". Women were supressed for millenia, yet some of them found the courage to stand for their liberation in public and succeeded. We can, too. We live in the times of change, after all. And things are getting pretty hot again. Short period of reaction in end of XXth century was just a delay of 1960s-1970s change. We can and should proceed the Consciousness Revolution after its temporary slowdown since 1980s.

I'm just 27, and I hope to live long enough to witness a lot of exciting events. Coming out of psychics and psychic researchers. Empowerment of children and adolescents. End of censorship and coercive psychiatry.

Maybe I'm too hopeful... But, with the shocking speed of sociocultural change during XXth century, one can predict even higher rate of transformation in the XXIst one. :D

Last edited:
Waiting for the protest to start, with a mixture of hope (we proponents seem to grow stronger - steadily, but persistently) and anxiety (how many people who support psi in the Web would do the same in the actual reality?).

Well, we'll learn it tomorrow - now it's April Fool Day shady evening (in European part of Russia). Whether there would be many people or not, the precedent itself is remarkable. It seems to be the very first massive pro-psi public protest. I can't remember anything like that before!

We are going from the Internet (the primary game-changer in psi debate) to the streets. At last. After 150 years of supresssion of research (and centuries of supression of phenomena themselves - first by religious, than by ideological authorities).

However, we should not cry too much for the "terrible past". Women were supressed for millenia, yet some of them found the courage to stand for their liberation in public and succeeded. We can, too. We live in the times of change, after all. And things are getting pretty hot again. Short period of reaction in end of XXth century was just a delay of 1960s-1970s change. We can and should proceed the Consciousness Revolution after its temporary slowdown since 1980s.

I'm just 27, and I hope to live long enough to witness a lot of exciting events. Coming out of psychics and psychic researchers. Empowerment of children and adolescents. End of censorship and coercive psychiatry.

Maybe I'm too hopeful... But, with the shocking speed of sociocultural change during XXth century, one can predict even higher rate of transformation in the XXIst one. :D
I pretty much agree here. The protest appears to be a unique event in history. I cannot think of another purely scientific protest, ever.

I pretty much agree here. The protest appears to be a unique event in history. I cannot think of another purely scientific protest, ever.
Well, if the existence of psi phenomena is a purely scientific question, it is already solved - such phenomena exist beyond reasonable doubt. The problem is, scientific psi research is held as a hostage in a large cultural war.

And the hardest part of the problem is, psi proponents may be described as "third side" and "third force" in this war; the one that I may describe as "spiritual humanism". The first two may be loosely called "secular humanism" (the combination of anti-theistic/psysicalistic/scientistic philosophy with libertarian politics) and "clerical traditionalism" (a combination of traditional organized religion with authoritarian politics).

The first two sides are considered to be "mainstream" and therefore are taken seroisly by official authorities and known to everyone. The third side - our side - is considered to be "fringe", largely ignored by official authorities and known only to the people who spent some time inquiring into the topic.

Yet the third side is the one which can grant us a meaningful peace treaty between the first two, as well as genuine new possibilities - not just new sociosemiotic forms, but actual psychophysical transformation of us as species.

Until the recent times, people were largely thinking in the terms of black-and-white choice between two "mainstream" alternatives. Libertarians were mostly entering the "secular humanism" movement, choosing Psychophysical Chaos of individual liberty against the Sociosemiotic Cosmos of religious authority, even if such choice required denying the reality of the Psychic for the absoluteness of the Physical dogma of scientistic philosophy: religious opression was too scary. Authoritarians were mostly entering the "clerical traditionalism" movement, choosing Sociosemiotic Cosmos of religious authority against the Psychophysical Chaos of individual liberty, even if such choice required denying the revelance of the Social for the absoluteness of the Semiotic dogma of classic theology: soul-less emptiness was too scary.

Both sides missed the potential of Noetic Chaosmos, of mutually empowering integration of Psychophysical Chaos and Sociosemiotic Cosmos. This unusal path was known only to the few, who can pursue their wholeness without throwing away the parts of themselves and the word; one who can stand for individual liberty without giving up for soul-less emptiness. The way for libertarians who don't think that one should proclaim oneself and others "biological robots" to argue for personal freedom and non-discrimination (people like me), and for authoritarians who are clever enough not to force people into following this or that authority, giving them the right to refuse (people like Michael Prescott). People who argue for natural, not God-given, free will, but remember of the dangers of indoctrination, which imprison many people's wills for now.

But today, with the aid of Internet, this "third way" is becoming widely known. Our time has come - at least, I hope so!

TED is about to ban another talk, this one based on a peer reviewed paper by an MD.

Here is the paper:
http://www.letmagichappen.com/image...reastCancerWarningDreams.Burk.Explore2015.pdf

This is what it says in the video description:
Published on Jun 9, 2016
Note from TED: We've flagged this talk, which was filmed at an independent TEDx event, because it appears to fall outside TEDx's curatorial guidelines. A number of claims made in this talk about cancer revealing itself in dreams are not considered legitimate by most medical doctors and researchers. There is no viable research or evidence presented in the talk to support these claims. The guidelines we give our TEDx organizers are described in more detail here: http://storage.ted.com/tedx/manuals/t...

A vivid, more real-than-real dream that wakes you up and later comes true is one of the most awe-inspiring experiences a human being can have. It can be a life-changing event, especially when the dream is a compelling early warning sign of cancer that leads to life-saving medical intervention. The results of recent breast cancer dream research may create sufficient wonder at the mysterious workings of the universe to shake up the worldview of even the most conservative healthcare professional. This scientific information will inspire you to reclaim the time-honored habit of keeping a dream diary with the modern option of doing it on a smart phone.

Larry Burk, MD, CEHP, is an academic holistic radiologist whose unusual career path from MRI researcher to dream researcher has prepared him in a very unique way to give this talk on warning dreams. He is a consulting associate professor of radiology at Duke University Medical Center and a member of the International Society for the Study of Dreams. His research experience in the early days of MRI of the knee and shoulder allowed him to respond to his friends’ amazing breast cancer dream stories in a scientific way and lay a foundation for future studies of warning dreams in all different types of cancers. The dreams that changed the lives of the women in his pilot study are shared here in hopes of inspiring everyone to reclaim the time-honored practice of keeping a dream diary. It may save your life.

This talk was given at a TEDx event using the TED conference format but independently organized by a local community. Learn more at http://ted.com/tedx