Invisibilia

I just started listening to a new NPR program titled "Invisibilia". A series about human behavior.

http://www.npr.org/programs/invisibilia/

I have listened to a few so far and it's quite interesting. I thought it would be appropriate here.

How To Become Batman
Alix and Lulu examine the surprising effect our expectations can have on the people around us. Plus, the story of a blind man who says expectations have helped him see. Yes, see.
How much of what we believe about the world and who we are is more about the limitations of societal and cultural norms as opposed to what is reality. Especially in the west, our expectations of what humans and animals are and are not capable of have a profoundly limiting effect to our potential. It's always interesting to see how one can develop when they didn't know there were supposed to be any limitations at all.

I think it also exposes the seemingly not so innocuous idea that the powers that be, whoever they are, have a vested interest in perpetuating the idea that we are meat puppets. What better way to control the masses, limit their abilities and convince them of false limitations than to perpetuate the idea using the authority if scientific elites and celebrity spokespeople. When we believe we are nothing more than bags of meat that have no control, so don't even try, we accept the sense of hopelessness and fultility in trying to change our circumstances, and instead look to our masters to change our lives for us.

I believe the untapped potential within all humans is unbelievable. It's these falsely imposed limitations, and to those awake and aware of those limitations but not knowing how to break through, that's keeps most of us us living on the sidelines of our own lives.

So, thoughts anyone?

Even assuming this is true, how do you go about getting to your full potential? You can't just get up one morning, decide today's the day you're going to become Superman, and then jump off a building and expect to fly.

Even assuming this is true, how do you go about getting to your full potential?
That's the million dollar question, certainly not one I have an answer to.

. You can't just get up one morning, decide today's the day you're going to become Superman, and then jump off a building and expect to fly.
I never said I thought this potential was necessarily only physical, though that certainly comes into play to a certain extent (just take a look at athletes or other who perform seemingly impossible things). The blind man featured in the podcast certainly has overcome a very physical ailment by not even being aware he was supposed to not be able to do many thinks he learned to do on his own. So while certainly actual physical limitations come into play in regards to potential, I still believe almost everyone limits themselves only by what they believe to be possible/impossible. Except for the rare few that refuse to be limited, or believe that certain limitations even exist at all.

Last edited:

What would have to consider is where the demarcation is between imposed (extrinsic) limitations and objective (intrinsic) limitations.
Right. How often do we limit ourselves by negative self talk? Though, how often do these negative things we tell ourselves have an origin outside of ourselves?

It's about learning to sort through the gunk. Things we've been told about ourselves, others, society, even the world around us. What happens when we shift our perspective? Oftentimes we see things that were there all along, but somehow because we didn't believe in its possibility, we never saw it? How many times have you been talking to someone, and they point something out, something that had previously been outside your awareness, and you suddenly understand and say "I never thought of that before" or "how did I not see that?!".

Even for skeptics (or really here I mean pseudoskeptics and those who subscribe to scientism) most of the paradigm changing discoveries in science were brought about by those who thought and worked outside the norm. By those who refused to believe in limitations and the concept of impossible? Funny how we as individuals and society, can box ourselves into such narrow ways of thinking.