It's Bullet Time

I was thinking (as I tend to do) about arguments made against NDEs happening outside the brain. It occurs to me that if one in particular turns out to be right-- that the experience really transpires in the moments after successful resuscitation when the brain comes back online-- isn't there a significant scientific implication there we're all somehow missing? If I have an NDE, and to me the experience takes place over 10,000 years, but in the hospital room only unfolds over a few minutes, does that not say something about the nature of time, or our perception of time? Couldn't scientists try to reproduce that effect so that whenever we want, a few minutes can feel like a few years? That great date you're on lasts longer; you have more time to read and study; you get to notice the music of a symphony concert in more detail; love-making-- anyway, you know what I mean. What do y'all think?

that the experience really transpires in the moments after successful resuscitation when the brain comes back online
I don't quite get why you focussed on this concept. To me, your ideas about the nature of time don't seem dependent upon any specific explanation of the NDE. No matter when the NDE occurs, before, during or after resuscitation, the elapsed time will surely not have been 10,000 years.

I my experience, time can flow at a different rate under certain conditions. I described a couple of my experiences previously here.

Having said that, I'm not necessarily suggesting any direct connection between my half-waking state and NDEs.

id assume that he means that somehow time "extends" when we experience a nde. since we all know that time is relative it could be possible, but i dont see any reason to believe that we can manipulate time in those situations. its more like that our perception of time changes. which is also rather odd, but it seems to happen all the time for everyone.

Wasn't there a guy who claimed to dream a whole lifetime in one night?

Will try to see if I can dig up the name.

What do y'all think?
I think that for things like this looking to current scientists is like asking a fish to invent air conditioning. Linear time is is not fundamental. It is however a core part of physical. So yes it is possible for someone to experience years in what is a minute to standard state. There are more than a few people who have experienced in that fashion.

Sounds like the "eternal dreaming" thing on Bryon Ehlmann's blog. He did say something about and NDEr being dead for days and that it was not his soul moving around, but he was dreaming the whole time.

id assume that he means that somehow time "extends" when we experience a nde. since we all know that time is relative it could be possible, but i dont see any reason to believe that we can manipulate time in those situations. its more like that our perception of time changes. which is also rather odd, but it seems to happen all the time for everyone.

Yes, if the materialists' argument is that every aspect of the NDE can be reduced to a physical explanation, then that should mean that there are parts of the brain which are responsible for comprehending time, and extending it. If so, aren't there some commercial, scientific, and even military applications which can be taken from it?

Wasn't there a guy who claimed to dream a whole lifetime in one night?

Will try to see if I can dig up the name.

Im sure there was an Arabian tale about that too.

I don't quite get why you focussed on this concept. To me, your ideas about the nature of time don't seem dependent upon any specific explanation of the NDE. No matter when the NDE occurs, before, during or after resuscitation, the elapsed time will surely not have been 10,000 years.

Well, I hadn't posted anything in a while, and didn't want to get rusty... :-)

Well, you're welcome to it, then :P I tend to have more nightmares than good dreams, I certainly wouldn't care to experience one that felt like eternity, only to be ended with oblivion.

But it wouldnt end in oblivion. It would never end. Your chances for that being a continual nightmare are low though. A dream can change at any time. And it wouldnt matter anyways - it would go on forever, you wouldnt percieve it as a nightmare after a while, im sure of that. It would be your new reality.
At first when i read that a while back i thought about all the logical problems with that - you know, if we are staying in a materialistic mindset there, how could that even happen? There is no dream without a brain in materialism. But well...the whole thing could be just that time extends, just like you did propose in this very thread. It would extend to infinity. And if i speculate even further there...hell, i deem it to be possible that this theory states that time extends to a infinite value when your brain dies for everyone else. That would mean that time goes on just like now for everyone else - your time at that very moment of your dead though would be infinite. There wouldnt be any oblivion waiting; the moment of your dead (and propably that nde that you experience at that very moment) would be a infinite thing. It would never end. Could also be possible that time stops to exist at that very moment. No time, no problem. But that isnt something we can imagine.
Well and then the whole thing sounds like the "normal" afterlife from many other theories. You know, if this theory states that it is totally possible for time to extends itself so that a dream could go on forever, hell, i deem it just as possible that we could move on from that theory to something where the consciousness that percieves that dream could go to another place somewhere in another dimension that propably isnt even imaginable. But of course, thats all just speculation. But the whole natural afterlife theory is a bunch of speculations anyways. Had its fair share of criticism from all sides because of that too.

Last edited:
But it wouldnt end in oblivion. It would never end. Your chances for that being a continual nightmare are low though. A dream can change at any time. And it wouldnt matter anyways - it would go on forever, you wouldnt percieve it as a nightmare after a while, im sure of that. It would be your new reality.
At first when i read that a while back i thought about all the logical problems with that - you know, if we are staying in a materialistic mindset there, how could that even happen? There is no dream without a brain in materialism. But well...the whole thing could be just that time extends, just like you did propose in this very thread. It would extend to infinity. And if i speculate even further there...hell, i deem it to be possible that this theory states that time extends to a infinite value when your brain dies for everyone else. That would mean that time goes on just like now for everyone else - your time at that very moment of your dead though would be infinite. There wouldnt be any oblivion waiting; the moment of your dead (and propably that nde that you experience at that very moment) would be a infinite thing. It would never end. Could also be possible that time stops to exist at that very moment. No time, no problem. But that isnt something we can imagine.
Well and then the whole thing sounds like the "normal" afterlife from many other theories. You know, if this theory states that it is totally possible for time to extends itself so that a dream could go on forever, hell, i deem it just as possible that we could move on from that theory to something where the consciousness that percieves that dream could go to another place somewhere in another dimension that propably isnt even imaginable. But of course, thats all just speculation. But the whole natural afterlife theory is a bunch of speculations anyways. Had its fair share of criticism from all sides because of that too.

I think I understand what you're saying. Didn't someone start a thread about that on here? I couldn't find mention of it through the search box.

Well, you're welcome to it, then :P I tend to have more nightmares than good dreams, I certainly wouldn't care to experience one that felt like eternity, only to be ended with oblivion.
whisper.gif
There is no end and there is no oblivion.

Back