JSE articles about Felicia Parise

Volume 29, number 1 (2015) of the Journal of Scientific Exploration has recently become available to nonmembers of the SSE. In it are two valuable articles about Felicia Parise, the little-known Maimonides lab technician who, after taking part in some ESP experiments conducted by Charles Honorton, discovered she had powerful psychic abilities, including macro-PK.

http://www.scientificexploration.org/journal/volume-29-number-1-2015

Alternate link:
http://scientificexploration.s3.amazonaws.com/files/jse-29-1.pdf?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJXJ6FAXJI7UFHDLQ&Expires=1463719505&Signature=Gs5iBcvUBEQFMCNPQS85cJR0+4w=

The articles are preceded by a brief introduction (p. 61) from Steve Braude, the JSE's editor in chief.

The first article, titled, A Moving Experience (p. 62), was written by Charles Honorton, and was originally published in the September 1993 volume of the Journal of the ASPR. It contains Honorton's account of what he witnessed while studying Parise. About her PK experiments, he wrote,
The sessions were always a strain for her. She would become very intense, perspire freely, and have great difficulty responding coherently to speech for several minutes after a successful session. She often developed a runny nose, runny eyes, and trembling, which frequently accompanied these other physical effects.
and,
She focuses her attention on the object until, “that’s the only
thing there.” She picks a spot on the object and fixates on it until everything else seems to disappear. She speaks of “pitching,” that is, working up excitement to a point where “I want to make it move more than anything else.”

Included in the article is an account from an amateur magician who filmed Parise in action with objects on the kitchen counter of her apartment. In addition to describing the experiments, he noted some pretty strange behavior on the part of her dog:
Another interesting note, was the effect of these experiments on Felicia’s dog. Alpha, a miniature poodle, is a very friendly, playful little dog. Whenever Felicia was conducting the experiments, however, the dog would begin to whine, and would not stop until the experiment was over. Whenever Felicia succeeded in moving an object the dog would become quite agitated, and commence furious digging movements on the kitchen linoleum. From his vantage point on the floor, it was impossible for the dog to have seen any of the objects moving.

The second article (p. 75) is the transcript of an interview conducted by Rosemarie Pilkington in 2013. It runs for more than 30 pages, and contains many interesting details of Parise's experiences, out of the lab as well as inside.

Doug

Last edited:
Thanks Typoz. I fixed the problem using your link.

Update: Hmm, your link doesn't work for me. I added my original link back as an alternative.

Doug

Last edited:
Apparently Martin Gardner determined that she had "bamboozled" Honorton after discussing it with him over the phone. He was able to debunk it without even witnessing it. Remote debunking, lol.

Cheers,
Bill
Do you have a source for this? The only references I can find have Gardner referring to his analysis of Honorton's film.

Do you have a source for this? The only references I can find have Gardner referring to his analysis of Honorton's film.
I initially saw it as the token "debunked" clause on the PK Wikipedia page. It referenced 2 sources, both Prometheus publications. I could be wrong but I am guessing they themselves reference Gardner's book "Are Universes Thicker than Blackberries" where there is one paragraph where he says she bamboozed Honorton using an invisible string, and was telling him this on the phone. If he conducted his own investigation this was not obvious to me, it sounded like he was talking about Honorton's published account?

Cheers,
Bill

I initially saw it as the token "debunked" clause on the PK Wikipedia page. It referenced 2 sources, both Prometheus publications. I could be wrong but I am guessing they themselves reference Gardner's book "Are Universes Thicker than Blackberries" where there is one paragraph where he says she bamboozed Honorton using an invisible string, and was telling him this on the phone. If he conducted his own investigation this was not obvious to me, it sounded like he was talking about Honorton's published account?

Cheers,
Bill
Perhaps Arouet should tell us which are his references?

Cheers,
Bill

The passage I found was from another one of Gardner's books: On the Wild Side, and suggests he reviewed the video:

When parapsychologist Charles Honorton saw his friend Felicia Parise seemingly use psychokinesis to move a plastic pill bottle across a kitchen counter, the film of this great event showed her hands creeping slowly forward on each side of the bottle. The simplest explanation is that an "invisible" thread, stretched horizontally above the table from one hand to the other, propelled the bottle. The bottle even moved in little jumps, just as it would if friction resisted the pressure of an extremely fine, slightly elastic nylon thread. This conjecture gains support from the facts that Honorton did not know that invisible thread could be used in this manner to move light objects away from a person, that he did not examine Felicia's hands before the experiment, and that Felicia has never repeated the miracle.
Can you post the passage from Universes that you are referring to?

The passage I found was from another one of Gardner's books: On the Wild Side, and suggests he reviewed the video
Regarding the film I can only assume he is referring to the film made by the amateur magician, Norman Moses as described in the initial links above. The string between the hands does not seem to hold for the cases where they covered the objects with heavy glass jars.

Cheers,
Bill

That doesn't include excerpts that I could see. I'm not going to buy the book. I thought you had it, otherwise where are you getting the line about the phone call?
Not sure why you can't see it. I googled "felicia Parise martin gardner", and clicked on the google books link (using Chrome on Mac, also tried that link in a separate session using Safari and it worked). Unfortunately, it is displayed like an image, not PDF or HTML, so I can't copy/paste the text.

EDIT: I also opened that link using IE Edge / Windows 10 in a virtual machine on my Mac and it worked fine. Opening the link displays the content very close to the single paragraph where Gardner describes his theory and says he was on a phone call with Honorton.

Cheers,
Bill

Not sure why you can't see it. I googled "felicia Parise martin gardner", and clicked on the google books link (using Chrome on Mac, also tried that link in a separate session using Safari and it worked). Unfortunately, it is displayed like an image, not PDF or HTML, so I can't copy/paste the text.

EDIT: I also opened that link using IE Edge / Windows 10 in a virtual machine on my Mac and it worked fine. Opening the link displays the content very close to the single paragraph where Gardner describes his theory and says he was on a phone call with Honorton.

Cheers,
Bill
I'm usually good at this! when I click the link I get this page:
upload_2016-5-22_11-16-18.png
But nothing I click on there seems to pull up the text. And I think somewhere it said no preview. I'm using chrome as well. Maybe you can snip it and paste it in?

I'm usually good at this! when I click the link I get this page:
View attachment 745
But nothing I click on there seems to pull up the text. And I think somewhere it said no preview. I'm using chrome as well. Maybe you can snip it and paste it in?
That's strange, anyway, I did not realize that a direct image paste was supported, I thought I needed to provide an image link.

upload_2016-5-22_11-27-4.png

Above is a screen shot of the whole paragraph.

Cheers,
Bill

S

Sciborg_S_Patel

Cheers,
Bill
Do you think Braude would know how Gardner debunked the case?

I can ask him though no guarantee of a reply.

That's strange, anyway, I did not realize that a direct image paste was supported, I thought I needed to provide an image link.

View attachment 749

Above is a screen shot of the whole paragraph.

Cheers,
Bill
Thanks bill!

It seems to me that he's relating a conversation he had with Dr. Honorton after he reviewed the footage. Looks like he called him up to tell him his conclusions personally, let him know about his invisible string hypothesis which dr. Honorton had apparently not been aware of or considered (at least that seems to have been the impression he got during the discussion).

Do you see it differently?

Regarding the film I can only assume he is referring to the film made by the amateur magician, Norman Moses as described in the initial links above. The string between the hands does not seem to hold for the cases where they covered the objects with heavy glass jars.

Cheers,
Bill
Was that part of the tests with Felicia or is this a different incident? I haven't had time to read the articles in detail yet. Do you know if the videos are online?