Mod+ Mainstream Media: A Multi-Headed Special Interest Group

http://weilerpsiblog.wordpress.com/...-media-a-multi-headed-special-interest-group/

A new article I just posted. Here's an excerpt:

There is a moment in everyone’s life when they have an Ah Ha! about something. A revelation that changes their outlook in a fundamental way about a persistently difficult situation and allows them to deal with it in novel ways because they now understand the problem correctly for the first time. I recently had one of those ah Ha! moments. It occurred while I was following the story of the CDC whistleblower in the pro-safe vaccine movement. After the safe-vaccine crowd made a concerted effort to inform the mainstream media only to have the story twisted and corrupted by them, I practically slapped my head and yelled D’oh! It was a revelation that I probably should have had long ago.

It was that example that finally pushed my perception of the mainstream media completely over the edge. This wasn’t the stubbornness of skeptics, reporting incompetence or laziness. The mainstream media wash’t swayed by a particular point of view either. They flat out refused to cover the story in an impartial way because they are a special interest group pushing a particular point of view. It doesn’t have a lot to do with being liberal or conservative; it’s not terribly political, but when you look at the mainstream as protecting the interests of big business then you start to see where the line is drawn. On the political front we’ve seen this in the coverage of 99 percenter’s protests and the way labor leaders have systematically been shut out of debates that they were central to. This was outlined in Herman and Chomsky’s “The Propaganda Model

Hi Craig,

I have read your blog in the past and appreciate the topics you write about. As for this particular post, I would urge you to check out Jacques Ellul's Propaganda. It fills in what is missing from Chomsky's model.... in my opinion, of course.

Don't forget to question the news stories that you think they get right. The easiest way to fool someone is to confirm their bias.
Generally, mainstream news doesn't do a good job linking to their sources, so they are hard to evaluate. I follow links a lot to see where they lead. It tells me how good their research was.

It makes the world a darker, more sinister place.
I don't see it that way. At all.

Although mainstream media being as objective as possible would be cool, the fact is that they became mainstream for a reason. It's big business and apart from the times when governments dictate what will be reported, it's about the profit margins. Beyond that, as we all now humans have strong biases, viewpoints that influence their perceptions. Usually they see their viewpoints as "good" and tend to want others to share them. Given that - to expect most reporters and those who hire them to be free of, or even aware of, those viewpoints is asking a lot.

So, except in rare cases, I don't think there's anything nefarious about it.

I don't see it that way. At all.

Although mainstream media being as objective as possible would be cool, the fact is that they became mainstream for a reason. It's big business and apart from the times when governments dictate what will be reported, it's about the profit margins. Beyond that, as we all now humans have strong biases, viewpoints that influence their perceptions. Usually they see their viewpoints as "good" and tend to want others to share them. Given that - to expect most reporters and those who hire them to be free of, or even aware of, those viewpoints is asking a lot.

So, except in rare cases, I don't think there's anything nefarious about it.
They lie, they cheat, they obfuscate, they change the course of history by what they report and what they don't. And they do this intentionally. That seems sinister to me.

When I've been in Germany I've always been struck by the exceptional quality of their news. It's what happens when corporations don't rule everything.

Nice article.

It's not all "one way" though. The AWARE study generally got a very positive write up in the mainstream press, despite an extremely disappointing outcome.

I think the problem is that mainstream reporting is (mostly) just lazy. It lacks detail and nuance. Thus it gives its intended audience exactly what it wants.

Last edited:
They lie, they cheat, they obfuscate, they change the course of history by what they report and what they don't. And they do this intentionally. That seems sinister to me.
Given that you have completely ignored what I pointed out, I'd say that you have a strong investment in seeing things a certain way. And the situation is not that different in Germany or any other major country.