Mod+ Mario Beauregard rejected for tenure for not being a materialist

Discussion in 'Consciousness & Science' started by K9!, Mar 31, 2015.

1. K9!

K9! New

In this interview, Mario Beauregard explains why he left the University of Montreal due to prejudice against non-materialist ideas in research.

2. Ian Gordon

Ian Gordon Ninshub Member

That's the first I've heard of this. Depressing.

3. Saiko

Saiko Member

I didn't listen but that doesn't surprise me at all. To a large extent materialism is seen as the only "legitimate science."

Bertha Huse likes this.
  4. And peer-review is a form of censorship.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
    Vault313 and Bertha Huse like this.
  5. Saiko

Saiko Member

It often is.

6. Bertha Huse

Bertha Huse New

Yes - materialism has become the new church of our time. The bishops of the church are doing whatever they can now to censor and shut-down those who question their faith. Of course, they believe in their righteous actions, since they are certain of their biblical materialistic truths.

My Best,
    Bertha

7. Saiko

Saiko Member

Bertha, I'm so very, very, very disappointed in you. Materialism isn't a church. It's a religion. :)

Nassim, Boo boo and Bertha Huse like this.
  8. Boo boo

Boo boo New

*sighs* oh, materialists. Censoring, rejecting, and blocking things because they don't fit your worldview. Dismissing evidence when you asked for it, like a child asking for a toy and then ruining it 25 seconds later out of boredom.

Nassim likes this.
  9. Nassim

Nassim New

What's the difference? lol
    Materialism and most other philosophies , not to mention religious and other secular fundamentalism , are in fact just the products of suppressed or repressed feelings or emotions , just products of the ...ego.
    Just the result of taking the lowest level of reality through the lowest level of consciousness via the ego/mind (the sensory perceptual one ) for granted as the ultimate nature of reality.Cheers.

10. Nassim

Nassim New

Materialism and secularism have replaced christianity , the nation-state the church and the materialist mainstream 'scientific " priesthood has replaced the inquisition of the medieval church.
    Don't challenge the absolute 'scientific authority " of the modern secular atheist materialist inquisition then lol, otherwise you will be "excocommuni..." lol

Larry likes this.
  11. erickh

erickh New

Hearing about this and also the latest interview with Krauss it truly struck me that mainstream science has become the medieval Catholic church. The medieval Catholic church created a box around people's mind that limited where one could look for truth. This is also true with mainstream science.

The medieval Catholic church had many taboo subjects or sacred cows that could not or should not be questioned, so too today's mainstream science.

The medieval Catholic church used physical violence against those who questioned them. Today's scientific establishment uses mental violence.

The church's teachings were absolute truth so for instance when the church said the earth was the center of the universe and if observations didn't agree then the observations were wrong. Krauss's ridiculous rant about reincarnation was just a rant against true scientific observations. His point was since everyone knows reincarnation is ridiculous all observations that would support it must be wrong. Science as practiced today by the scientific establishment is not the altruistic endeavor solely dedicated to finding truth as so many would claim. It is a belief system and since it deals with God one could easily say it is a religion.

Bucky, Steve, Ian Gordon and 5 others like this.
  12. Bertha Huse

Bertha Huse New

Mental violence is a good description of their activity. Notice how on almost ever biography of psi researchers on Wikipedia - a kind of mental violence has been conducted. Primarily, the guerilla Skeptics there are doing their best to destroy the credibility of the scientists who have done psi research. There is next to no respect shown for the scientists or their work (which is usually given short shrift), or indeed, other contributors of Wikipedia who attempt to establish a more balanced view of the science that has been done in psi.

There is this mental violence of tracking people on the internet and harrassing them by publishing web pages on them, or collecting information on the person that paints a one-sided picture of that person, attempting to discredit their intelligence or reliability etc. Then there is simply dishonesty. Dishonest representation of actual research (Shermer on van Lommel) or the many dishonest pronouncements made by Skeptics like James Randi.

I guess we can be thankful that this new materialism church that presides over our culture right now - cannot do the kind of physical violence that the catholic church did . But mental violence is a good characterization of what is done in the place of physical violence. And control of people's careers and reputations via media outlets like Wikipedia, or Ted Talks, or the purse strings of academia - or publishing stuff on their own websites - is still pretty harmful to the advance of knowledge and to the many honest individuals who take a serious interest in psi.

Psicop (or whatever they call themselves now) is not a scientific organization. Shermer who runs it, not even a scientist. They do no scientific research themselves. They are for the most part, a propaganda front to disseminate their religion of reductive materialism and many of their members (including the leadership) are card carrying atheists.

My Best,
    Bertha

Nassim likes this.
  13. Nassim

Nassim New

Intellectual terrorism , a 'scientific " one .
    Well, history repeats itself : the mainstream materialist 'scientific " inquisition will go down the drain , exactly like that of the medieval church did .

Bertha Huse likes this.
  14. Bertha Huse

Bertha Huse New

Yes - but meanwhile (maybe even for centuries), many people will be victimized it, and the progress of real knowledge will remain repressed.

My Best,
    Bertha

Typoz and Nassim like this.
  15. Nassim

Nassim New

"Humanism is a degenerate form of christianity" Nietzsche
    The same goes for materialism = a degenerate and a lower form of religion.
    The church pretends to derive all its absolute authority from God and in the name of God , materialism does pretend to derive all its absolute and exclusive authority from ...science by equating itself with the latter even.

Ian Thompson and Bertha Huse like this.
  16. Nassim

Nassim New

I don't think it will have to take centuries to get rid of materialism for good .I am optimistic in that regard , especially when we see how the level of consciousness /awareness of many people on the subject has been on the rise and counting...
    The world would be better off without the false , dogmatic , outdated and superseded materialist philosophy or ideology that has been dominating in all human activities, not just in all sciences .
    Humanity as a whole and science would benefit from getting rid of materialism exponentially : their progress or 'evolution " depend enormously on that.
    The question is thus not when is that gonna happen , but what will replace materialism as an alternative.
    Atheist philosopher Thomas Nagel in his famous book concluded , for example, that reductionist naturalist materialism will maybe be replaced by a non-reductionist naturalist non-materialist world view that might turn out to be false , in its turn too ,at the end of the line : " The human will to believe is inexhaustible ".
    I say that the proposed non-materialist naturalist non -reductionist alternative is also false , since the naturalist philosophy, in all its forms and shapes, is also false.
    That means that one should try to figure out for oneself what particular world view is "true " , and that cannot happen through science since science is not about the "truth" , but only from ...within, since science does deal only with the lowest level of reality through the lowest level of consciousness : the sensory perceptual one ..Cheers.

17. TravisMontgomery

TravisMontgomery New

After listening to this Mario Beauregard interview, owning his two books - Brain Wars and The Spiritual Brain - and being open to many of his interviews over the years on his views of mind and consciousness it is, in my opinion, that he is quite bitter about how things turned out for him.

It sounds like being denied tenure, and then crying about it, is often a reason for an individual to lash back and blame others for their lack of accomplishment. Perhaps the case is that he was targeted for his beliefs and his outspoken attitude about the paradigm he believes the world is living in or maybe he was denied it based on him wasting funding on research that went nowhere, caused a negative outlook on his research division at UoM, embarrassed himself and his colleagues at the school and wasted other's time... you know.. real reasons to be denied tenure and become a laughing stock.

18. Bertha Huse

Bertha Huse New

I'm sure Bruno was pretty bitter when the church burned him at the stake. Doesn't mean their dogma held up in the end.

My Best,
    Bertha

Nassim, Ian Gordon and K9! like this.
  19. Steve

Steve Member

How unusual is it for scientists to be denied tenure ?

20. K9!

K9! New

It's becoming harder to get as universities try to do away with the profs who get 6-figure incomes while not teaching any classes or contributing to the university in any way. But in Beauregard's case, he was in a tenure track position and was doing a lot of high profile work. He's also well published. It was reasonable for him to expect to attain tenure at some point. 15 years is a long time to be an associate professor. I would think if it was just a case of being turned down this year, with the possibility of getting it later on, he would have stayed the course. But clearly he felt that the environment he was in was hostile.

Ian Gordon likes this.