Mark 11:12-14 and the rice experiment

Roms

New
The other day I was reading Killing Jesus by O'Reilly (not really impressed by the way though it did refresh some memories) and I stumbled upon that little episde in the life of Jesus

Mark 11:12-14
12 The next day as they were leaving Bethany, Jesus was hungry. 13 Seeing in the distance a fig tree in leaf, he went to find out if it had any fruit. When he reached it, he found nothing but leaves, because it was not the season for figs. 14 Then he said to the tree, “May no one ever eat fruit from you again.”And his disciples heard him say it.

Right after this episode, Jesus and his disciples leave the place. When they come back the next day, the fig tree is completely dry and cannot bear fruit anymore...
Yesterday something dawned on me and I remembered the rice experiment. The spectrum of opinions is wide and there are very few people in the middle as you would imagine: on one hand the "skeptics" claiming it's balloney and on the other hand the proponents who got the same results over and over.
For those who don't know the rice experiment is meant to highlight the power of thought/intention. The experimenter puts rice in three identical jars. Every day for a certain amount of time, he flatters/talks gently to one jar, curses the other one and at last he doesn't do anything to the last one.
the result is that: mold appears quicker in the "cursed" jar than in the control jar. In the one that gets spoken gently, rice appears to be preserved.

Now I haven't done the experiment myself BUT I do like the idea. Now, for argument sake, let's assume that the results are positive, this would actually back up the aforementioned Bible extract.

For people who don't know the rice experiment see video below

is there someone here who already tried that? seems like a reasonable experiment to do at home.id be interested in the results of that.

Did he do the experiment once?
If not, how many times did he repeat the experiment? Where the results consistent?

Once I made pyramid out of cardboard and I put a piece of banana in it. The banana mummified without getting moldy. I didn't talk to it. I considered including a control banana, but I ate it.
There's an infamous experiment recommended to those practicing "pranic energy". Take a piece of non cooked meat and every day for 10 minutes apply the energy to it. The meat should not be kept in the fridge and it should "mummify" thanks to this practice.

In reality the non refrigerated meat simply desiccates on its own and never rots. Regardless of the alleged energy. :D

I tried a variation of this experiment about a year ago. Unfortunately I could not complete it due to the awful aroma that filled my house. During the short period that I did run the experiment I noticed a slight positive result.

I watched several Youtube videos of other people trying this experiment with cooked rice in sealed containers. Their controls seemed to be less than scientific. Since I had questions about whether one container was sealed as well as the other container or whether the rice in one container was drier than the rice in another container, I decided to use equally measured amounts of uncooked rice placed in identical clear unsealed glasses with equally measured amounts of water standing above the rice an inch or so. I had 3 glasses: one labeled "hate" on the left, one labeled "eh..." in the middle, and one labeled "love" on the right. The glasses were very close together on the counter and out of direct sunlight so that their environmental conditions were identical. Several times a day I would set a 1 minute timer and both internally and out-loud say hateful things to the hate rice and then reset the minute timer and say loving thing things to the love rice and ignore the rice in the middle. I inspected the rice multiple times a day. After a period of time (I think it was about 2 days), I noticed bubbles starting to form in the "hate" rice as it began to ferment. Within 4 hours, these bubbles grew very large and began to float to the surface. Approximately 6 hours after onset of bubbling in the hate rice, I began to notice bubbles forming in the ignored rice. Approximately 14 hours after onset of bubbling in the hate rice, I noticed bubbles begin to form in the love rice. After another 8 hours these bubbles grew to the size of the bubbles in the hate rice and began floating to the surface. From then on there was no discernible difference between the three glasses of rice. I let this continue for another two or three days before the dirty feet smell was so bad I couldn't stand it and threw all the rice out. I photographed the rice multiple times a day intending to post a blog about it, but since I aborted the experiment early, I never did anything with the pictures and later deleted all the photos in attempt to free up memory on my phone.

Conclusion: Compared with the ignored rice, my thoughts seemed to have sped the fermentation of the hate rice by about 6 hours and slowed the fermentation of the love rice by 8 hours.

I intend to revise this experiment so that it doesn't make my house smell and so that it doesn't leave any questions about how well the containers are sealed or how dry the rice is.

I think that I might try the experiment again and put the rice all in one clear container with no physical partitions. I will then seal the container so that the smell won't cause me to abort the experiment early. I will draw two vertical lines on the outside of the container and use those as the partitions instead of 3 separate containers. If intentions operate through semantics, then the symbol of a partition should be all that is needed. This way the environment of the 3 groups of rice is undoubtedly identical and even if the container's seal is imperfect, all 3 groups will get the same amount of oxygen.

I think that I might try the experiment again and put the rice all in one clear container with no physical partitions. I will then seal the container so that the smell won't cause me to abort the experiment early. I will draw two vertical lines on the outside of the container and use those as the partitions instead of 3 separate containers. If intentions operate through semantics, then the symbol of a partition should be all that is needed. This way the environment of the 3 groups of rice is undoubtedly identical and even if the container's seal is imperfect, all 3 groups will get the same amount of oxygen.
I'm not so sure this is a good idea. If decomposition begins in any part, what's to stop it spreading to the other areas? To me it seems that physical separation is a requirement, unless you are already satisfied that the first experiment was a success, and are trying to build upon that foundation.

I'm not so sure this is a good idea. If decomposition begins in any part, what's to stop it spreading to the other areas? To me it seems that physical separation is a requirement, unless you are already satisfied that the first experiment was a success, and are trying to build upon that foundation.

I expect all the rice will decompose... just that the rate will be affected by intention. A "hit" or positive result would be to see kind of a gradient with the hate rice looking bad sooner than the love rice.

And congratulations on 1000 Posts!

Back