Martinus Thomsen - A Scandinavian Mystic

lhl

Martinus Thomsen (1890-1981) was born in Denmark and had a humble upbringing. He only received a very basic education, but at the age of 31 he underwent a profound mystical experience. According to Thomsen this experience left him with a permanently expanded consciousnes which enabled him to directly perceive the spiritual nature and laws of the cosmos. Martinus Thomsen saw it as his life mission to use his abilities to formulate this knowledge in clear rational thought in order to facilitate a spiritual worldview for scientifically oriented people. He spent the rest of his life writing and teaching this worldview.

There are not a lot of English resources about or by Martinus Thomsen (he wrote in Danish) but I found this talk by Ole Therkelsen:

Martinus Thomsen (1890-1981) was born in Denmark and had a humble upbringing. He only received a very basic education, but at the age of 31 he underwent a profound mystical experience. According to Thomsen this experience left him with a permanently expanded consciousnes which enabled him to directly perceive the spiritual nature and laws of the cosmos. Martinus Thomsen saw it as his life mission to use his abilities to formulate this knowledge in clear rational thought in order to facilitate a spiritual worldview for scientifically oriented people. He spent the rest of his life writing and teaching this worldview.

There are not a lot of English resources about or by Martinus Thomsen (he wrote in Danish) but I found this talk by Ole Therkelsen:

Sounds interesting and I look forward to the video.

Thanks for the info about this man. I did a search and it turns out that the Martinus Institute provides an in-depth English resource on him and his writings

http://www.martinus.dk/en/frontpage/

It's very strange that his ideas very much resemble Ancient Vedic teachings of re-incarnation and other religious beliefs, For instance the word Godhead is used and that to me is a common Vedic term. with other similarities, I could conclude that he derives a lot of his knowledge from Vedic philosophy, or if not it, the similarities are very strange.

Last edited:
It's very strange that his ideas very much resemble Ancient Vedic teachings of re-incarnation and other religious beliefs, For instance the word Godhead is used and that to me shows a Vedic learning.
Why is that strange to you? I have yet to find any spiritual tradition that doesn't have some things in connection with all the others. Oh, and multiple incarnations isn't a "religious belief". Also, the word Godhead is common to many translations, spiritual paths and religions. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godhead

Why is that strange to you? I have yet to find any spiritual tradition that doesn't have some things in connection with all the others. Oh, and multiple incarnations isn't a "religious belief". Also, the word Godhead is common to many translations, spiritual paths and religions. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godhead

I've edited my post,

And although the word Godhead is used by different religions, or mainly just Christianity or Judaism, None of those offer the other similarities of

that all living beings form part of a living universe and evolve continuously towards higher forms of life.

Or

Martinus also shows how our consciousness, psyche and morality evolve through reincarnation and karma according to natural laws

These ideas are exclusively Vedic.

I'

These ideas are exclusively Vedic.
So not only are you religous, you're into the whole "only my religion" delusion. No none of those ideas are exclusively Vedic. And I'll offer to you that you dishonor your own path by making it into some sort of contest.

So not only are you religous, you're into the whole "only my religion" delusion. No none of those ideas are exclusively Vedic. And I'll offer to you that you dishonor your own path by making it into some sort of contest.

No,

All I did was point out the similarities,

Can you point out why the content of my message above is not exclusively A Vedic philosophy?

And for your information I employ a variety of religious views.

I should stress that I only have a passing knowledge of Vedic teachings. Still, don't you think that some of the same ideas are expressed in this poem by Rumi, a Persian Sufi mystic?

I should stress that I only have a passing knowledge of Vedic teachings. Still, don't you think that some of the same ideas are expressed in this poem by Rumi, a Persian Sufi mystic?

Hi lhl

Certainly, I don't deny that many mystic teachings draw similarities with Vedic ideas, I am saying that of all religions, The Vedas have arguably the worlds oldest living particed religion, and that the idea of the soul having to evolve upwards through a chain of material bodies from simple life forms to more complex, has its origins in the Vedas, and is the worlds most oldest and complete compiled philosophy on the subject, therefore the origin of the idea is exclusively Vedic.

I know of no other older practiced religion or philosophy that employs this idea.

And nice poem by the way, Rumi was definitely an enlightened soul.

Hi lhl

Certainly, I don't deny that many mystic teachings draw similarities with Vedic ideas, I am saying that of all religions, The Vedas have arguably the worlds oldest living particed religion, and that the idea of the soul having to evolve upwards through a chain of material bodies from simple life forms to more complex, has its origins in the Vedas, and is the worlds most oldest and complete compiled philosophy on the subject, therefore the origin of the idea is exclusively Vedic.

I know of no other older practiced religion or philosophy that employs this idea.

And nice poem by the way, Rumi was definitely an enlightened soul.
I think you're right that, although similar philosophical ideas appears in many different traditions, the Vedas constitute the earliest known record. So I suppose that means it wouldn't be that strange for Martinus Thomsen to come up with similar ideas without knowing the Vedas: he could have come to know about them or something similar through any number of other religious traditions.

Of course Thomsen himself emphasized that he had never studied other religions and that all his spiritual teachings came to him through a "direct inner knowing". I suppose this means (if we are to take Thomsen at his word) that the same could be true for other religious traditions containing similiar ideas.
In this case one could say that the ideas didn't originate with the Vedas in the sense that the various religious traditions instead have obtained them independently through their founder's inner knowing.

I think you're right that, although similar philosophical ideas appears in many different traditions, the Vedas constitute the earliest known record. So I suppose that means it wouldn't be that strange for Martinus Thomsen to come up with similar ideas without knowing the Vedas: he could have come to know about them or something similar through any number of other religious traditions.

Of course Thomsen himself emphasized that he had never studied other religions and that all his spiritual teachings came to him through a "direct inner knowing". I suppose this means (if we are to take Thomsen at his word) that the same could be true for other religious traditions containing similiar ideas.
In this case one could say that the ideas didn't originate with the Vedas in the sense that the various religious traditions instead have obtained them independently through their founder's inner knowing.

My point is that other mystical teachings adopt the idea because the origin stems from the Vedas, which is an inductive knowledge, passed down from God himself to Brhaman, the first created being, who was instructed through the heart. Although its possible for other beings to also become Bhuddas or enlightened ones, by instruction through the heart, the origin of this idea itself is a Vedic principle, such as Bhuddism also has its origin in Vedic philosophy.

Basically what I am saying, there are many branches of the same tree, but it's roots stem and draw significant similarities or if not identical ideas to Vedic philosophy.

I found this interesting and so have bought the Kindle version of Therkelson's book here. I may report back when I've read it all: I've just started it.

All I did was point out the similarities,

Can you point out why the content of my message above is not exclusively A Vedic philosophy?.
This reminds me I'd concluded that my discoursing with you was pointless as there are too many basic things that you either ignore/don't get. Whenever you see a similarity you automatically think that it was "based on the Vedic."

This reminds me I'd concluded that my discoursing with you was pointless as there are too many basic things that you either ignore/don't get. Whenever you see a similarity you automatically think that it was "based on the Vedic."

I'm saying, that many mystical and spiritual teachings draw similarities or have their origin in Vedic philosophy, which is arguably the oldest living practiced philosophy in the world, if you have a problem that I find people's stories correlate to an ancient spiritual philosophy. then suit yourself.

Calling me ignorant without pointing out any flaw with my statement, is ignorance on your part. You claim to find fault, without showing any justification.

As a mind the Universe would be a conscious being. To people who think, only the conscious beingness of the Universe could be God. Only that belief makes sense of the first verse of St John. Only that thesis reconciles science and spirituality. Only that idea brings together the mysticism of East and West and secures common ground between the Bible and quantum
physics.

As thoughts, particles of energy would exist not as acts of material substance but as acts of consciousness. The idea that conscious awareness brings everything into existence fits with the Copenhagen interpretation of quantum reality that things exist only to the extent that they are observed.

Many quantum theorists today believe that consciousness is the bedrock of reality; that particles of energy exist only because they are observed by an underlying universal conscious awareness.

Back