MBT Forum. Becoming love??? Haha

Steve

I have been a fan of Tom Campbell MBT for some years now, but I am very disappointed by his forum, which I joined five or six years ago. The 'going ons' there are strange. I have rarely posted there for some years. The moderators are 'Ted' and 'Sainsbury' I think, there may be others.

I have watched this pattern over and over. A member (new or established) says something slightly negative about Tom's ideas, and almost immediately Ted jumps on board, leading eventually to the member leaving or, like me, not wanting to be part of it. In spite of this, I am quite fond of Ted, we have communicated by pm occasionally, but I wouldn't like to get on his bad side!!! :(

Tom himself rarely participates any longer, but I think he's aware of what goes on there, on his forum. I have linked two typical threads which display this behaviour. I just don't see the love. :eek: The whole thing is strange to me.

http://www.my-big-toe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=10453&start=570

http://www.my-big-toe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10747

Last edited:
I just read a few of the posts, saw facts dismissed and opinion put in their place by one of the mods. Not entirely a role model to emulate.

I have been a fan of Tom Campbell MBT for some years now, but I am very disappointed by his forum, which I joined five or six years ago. The 'going ons' there are strange.

[...]

I just don't see the love.

It seems that these admins are guard (attack) dogs, defenders of the (Tom Campbell's) orthodoxy. When you're a defender in a war, it's hard to show love to the attackers. Just goes to show that we're imperfect beings.

It seems that these admins are guard (attack) dogs, defenders of the (Tom Campbell's) orthodoxy. When you're a defender in a war, it's hard to show love to the attackers. Just goes to show that we're imperfect beings.

What is strange to me, is that I think Tom realised this is the way his forum is seen, but doesn't change it. I really don't think he's that way, dogmatic or aggressive, but he's content to let his forum be that way. It is what it is?

What is strange to me, is that I think Tom realised this is the way his forum is seen, but doesn't change it. I really don't think he's that way, dogmatic or aggressive, but he's content to let his forum be that way. It is what it is?

Hmm. I can think of two possibilities, no doubt there are many more:
  1. He is flattered/gratified/impressed by the loyalty shown by his admins, and feels that to try to set them straight would offend them, and he doesn't want to offend them (due to the loyalty they've shown him).
  2. He has higher priorities than dealing with his forum. He knows that there are problems, but doesn't have the time/energy/stamina to try to point out in a loving way what's wrong, and how to fix it.

Hmm. I can think of two possibilities, no doubt there are many more:
  1. He is flattered/gratified/impressed by the loyalty shown by his admins, and feels that to try to set them straight would offend them, and he doesn't want to offend them (due to the loyalty they've shown him).
  2. He has higher priorities than dealing with his forum. He knows that there are problems, but doesn't have the time/energy/stamina to try to point out in a loving way what's wrong, and how to fix it.

I think he's 'above' the first, more like the first sentence in the second. Out of interest , people have commented on his impressive energy levels, I think the opening post on the second link actually does so. He's in his early seventies I think.

I think you're right though, it's not among his priorities. Also, although both the moderators appear to be 'wrong for the job' in my opinion, their intent may be good. That's what my intuition tells me, Ted's heart is pure, although it's sometimes difficult to see it. That's why I still am fond of him. Sainsbury less so, although people may generally think opposite to me.

I get the 'It's all good' vibe overall. Watch his videos.

Also, although both the moderators appear to be 'wrong for the job' in my opinion, their intent may be good.

Fair call, and I'll just add that moderation is hard. You can't please everybody. Tom may not have so many options available (since he has to pick from those who know their (his) stuff).

I get the 'It's all good' vibe overall. Watch his videos.

Also mentioned in the same first post in the second link, is the possibility that Tom's ego might be enjoying the attention a little too much. It's possible of course, but I think he's able to keep it well under control. What is much more likely, is that many of his followers have fallen into the ego trap. It's a slippery sucker!!! :D

hahah... I have the same exact experience with that forum. I also was curious about MBT and started to participate in the forum and then... Ted started getting into discussions and acting like a mentor, but in fact dogmatically opposing any ideas deviating from MBT. I felt like being a part of a religious cult.

The love thing is a different matter... I in fact think that there's something to that idea (not sure if entropy is somehow related to it, but Tom has a way with words explaining worldly phenomena with scientific terms).

Bernardo's forum is more or less the same in terms of his participation, with the sole exception being that the level of the discussion is significantly higher and much more civil than what is seen in those links. My take on it is that these people are too damn busy to tackle what must be a veritable avalanche of incredulous users, and instead focus on their work. That inevitably lets admins take over, which may or may not work depending on the competence of the admin. I don't think that Tom is dogmatic at all, especially since one of his expressed concerns is that rediscovering "God" trough his experiments may lead to religious shenanigans.

Last edited:
I had a similar unpleasant experience on that forum with the moderator, Ted. Previously though, I had exchanged a few posts with Tom himself and found him to be polite and not at all dismissive.

Back