Miraculous medium-healers of Brazil

Steve001, great find. I had read the article as well, much of the information in his research paper was covered in his book as well. Because these people were being healed, we have to take into account physiology as well as the other fields you mentioned (especially in terms of the patient success cases). Belief plays a vital role in the outcome of the patient! However, how the healers were able to perform complex surgeries in a fraction of the time of standard surgical procedures, write down complicated prescriptions, without injury or harm to their patients remain unknown. Remember these healers had no training, no experience, and were sometimes close to illiterate.

Check out this clip from another healer Ze Arigo (also a claimed channeler of Dr Fritz). Watch from 4:27 as he performs his "eye check up", jamming a pearing knife in a patient's eye. This individual only made it past the 3rd grade.

As I said belief plays a major role in terms of the patient enduring the procedure and physically healing. But no amount of patient belief will prevent a pearing knife from severing their optic nerve.

And no amount of patient belief will prevent a healer from sawing through a patient's spine or nerves...
https://books.google.com/books?id=taMYDQAAQBAJ&pg=PT45&lpg=PT45&dq=dr+stams+brazil+electric+saw&source=bl&ots=ca3_7h-k67&sig=RlG3CWifss7NWk0NpE74BA92VHo&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiD8a_7zoDQAhUqi1QKHR8KDJ0Q6AEIHTAA#v=onepage&q=dr stams brazil electric saw&f=false

Last edited:
When you watch a man, with a 3rd grade level education, shove a pearing knife into the back of a patients eye without severing the optic nerve or at the very least causing any damage it makes it very difficult to explain with conventional understanding.

Sorry, I missed that. When did that happen in the video?

Malf, it was an example from another healer. Check the last video I posted.
Some sort of spatula knife inserted under the upper eyelid. What condition was that treating?

Edit: the video quality isn't great.

Last edited:
Edson Queoroz was a medical doctor, but I expect his low cost/high risk approach kept some of his local colleagues busy, clearing up infections etc. However without a detailed review of his patients it is impossible to know for sure.

I notice that he was stabbed to death in 1991. Perhaps not all of his clients were 100% satisfied :)

Incidentally, I have read that Dr Adolph Fritz never actually existed (or rather there is no evidence that he did). Not sure if that's important...

Yes sir, the video was filmed in the 60's. According to the literature both Arigo and Quieroz predicted their deaths.

I think it's pretty cool that none of these guys accepted no payments and would often work long hours. There's another book called "Arigo the surgeon with the rusty scalpel", it's not as well documented but interesting nonetheless. And it's much cheaper than the Greenfield book.

These types of things are still going on, even today. It's just that these examples were pretty well documented. And I don't think that just because these were documented a few decades ago that these cases should be dismissed.

Last edited:
Yes, apparently once you acquire this power your life span is dramatically reduced. Both Quieroz and Arigo (both claimants of possession by Dr Fritz) supposedly had predicted their untimely deaths.

These types of things are still going on, even today. It's just that these examples were pretty well documented. And I don't think that just because these were documented a few decades ago that these cases should be dismissed.
I'm not dismissive of them. I'm saying it's much harder now to verify what had taken place. Are you planning a trip to Brazil to interview patients, witness for yourself present day medium-healers? If not, then you can see the difficulties involved in verification of something taking place long ago.

Yes, apparently once you acquire this power your life span is dramatically reduced. Both Quieroz and Arigo (both claimants of possession by Dr Fritz) supposedly had predicted their untimely deaths.
As Malf pointed out, there's no record of a doctor named Fritz.

Controversial Brazilian medium healer/psychic surgeon 'John of God' was diagnosed with stomach cancer last year. His choice of treatment was interesting. :D

Steve001, so what are your thoughts on this?
Obviously something was going on.

Malf, what treatment did he use? He is controversial, it seems he was focused on fame rather than helping people.

Last edited:
Steve001, so what are your thoughts on this?

Malf, what treatment did he use? He is controversial, it seems he was focused on fame rather than helping people.

In an ironic twist, in 2015 John of God complained of a pain in the stomach to his cardiologist. Yes, the medium who claims wondrous healing powers has a cardiologist who without fanfare years earlier had implanted three stents in John’s narrowed arteries. Now he sent his patient for an endoscopy that revealed a tumour. A 10-hour surgery, not the spiritual variety, was followed by extensive chemotherapy. A year later, John appears to be well, cured not by mumbo jumbo, but by modern surgery and drugs. No problem affording the treatment. John is wealthy from donations and sales of blessed water and magic triangles.

When asked why he did not heal himself the way he is able to heal others, he replied with the stunning rhetorical question, “what barber cuts his own hair?”

http://montrealgazette.com/technolo...john-of-god-leads-cancer-patients-by-the-nose

Queiroz was a medical doctor. He was not without skill but is performing (IMO) low cost, high speed, high risk procedures in a faux German accent. I'm guessing follow up/aftercare was poor and he left some unfortunate mess in his wake.

I've no idea what is going on in that second video tbh.

Medical doctor, yes. Surgeon, no. What would motivate a man to do this? Why would a man, that could make money through conventional medicine, serve hundreds of people for free? Although follow up was poor, we still have to understand why he was referred to by so many people. Businesses and doctors gain new patients through referrals. Do you think that if he was not having success with these patients that he would continue serving hundreds of them daily? New customers are gained through success and word of mouth.

I wish you had access to the Greenfield book. That google link I posted above where a man used an electric saw on a patient's back, was done by a man with a grade school level education and who was a brick layer by trade.

Back