missing forums...

@Alex,

I have been in contact with Sci, and he says he is off anyway, so he doesn't want me to stick by my original decision to go if he does. I still think it would be a nice gesture if you let him back - even if he never uses the opportunity! He has contributed so much, I'd hate to see him finish his time here by being banned.

David

one of the great things about doing this for a while is that I've seen a lot of stuff over the yrs. I've seen many, many forum members come and go. some I really regretted losing contact with, others I did not. but I learned that everyone is kinda doing there own thing... taking what they need at the time.

so, I have a different perspective on people leaving... and I'm almost ALWAYS OPEN TO PEOPLE COMING BACK.

as for Sciborg_S_Patel, his griping and complaining got to be a little too much... I think I gave him quite a bit of leeway. so, he earned a few days in the penalty box. If he makes amends he can come back next week.
None of the people in question are "leaving;" you've pushed them out the door.

@Alex,

I have been in contact with Sci, and he says he is off anyway, so he doesn't want me to stick by my original decision to go if he does. I still think it would be a nice gesture if you let him back - even if he never uses the opportunity! He has contributed so much, I'd hate to see him finish his time here by being banned.

David
I have honored his request to have his account deleted.

I have honored his request to have his account deleted.
That worried me for a moment in the night because I thought that action might actually remove all his posts - or even all the threads he started - but I see that they are still there under his name as a guest :)

David

A little note to inform those folks who don't know already that a bunch of us have gotten together and set up a forum to which everyone here is welcome: Psience Quest. As with Chuck's forum, it is simply an alternative - there's no need to choose exclusively one of the three; you can feel free to join and post to all three forums.

We had been planning this forum before Chuck made his announcement of his own forum, and decided to follow through even though there is now already an alternative in Chuck's liberaparolado.

We took some time to evaluate the various free forum software packages out there, and ended up going with MyBB. We think you guys will like it - it has WYSIWYG editing, video embedding, and we have even managed to successfully install plugins to support "likes" and alerts. Its PM system supports multi-participant conversations as on Skeptiko (although you have to remember to click "Reply All" as with emails).

As of right now, we don't have much in the way of rules, guidelines, moderation principles, etc, and we hope that new members will help us figure all of that stuff out collaboratively.

@Alex, we would very much appreciate it if you were willing to export the forums which you have soft-deleted, as you seemed to indicate you were earlier in this thread - MyBB has an import tool, so we could potentially use that to import those forums and threads which you no longer care to host here on Skeptiko. Please let us know if you are still amenable to this possibility, and, if so, let's make it happen!

OK, thanks everybody, we hope to see you on Psience Quest!

Last edited:
A little note to inform those folks who don't know already that a bunch of us have gotten together and set up a forum to which everyone here is welcome: Psience Quest. As with Chuck's forum, it is simply an alternative - there's no need to choose exclusively one of the three; you can feel free to join and post to all three forums.

We had been planning this forum before Chuck made his announcement of his own forum, and decided to follow through even though there is now already an alternative in Chuck's liberaparolado.

We took some time to evaluate the various free forum software packages out there, and ended up going with MyBB. We think you guys will like it - it has WYSIWYG editing, video embedding, and we have even managed to successfully install plugins to support "likes" and alerts. Its PM system supports multi-participant conversations as on Skeptiko (although you have to remember to click "Reply All" as with emails).

As of right now, we don't have much in the way of rules, guidelines, moderation principles, etc, and we hope that new members will help us figure all of that stuff out collaboratively.

@Alex, we would very much appreciate it if you were willing to export the forums which you have soft-deleted, as you seemed to indicate you were earlier in this thread - MyBB has an import tool, so we could potentially use that to import those forums and threads which you no longer care to host here on Skeptiko. Please let us know if you are still amenable to this possibility, and, if so, let's make it happen!

Already there. :) As well as on Liberaparolado.

That is great news. I would encourage everyone looking for an alternative to join this new forum. I think you will find these guys more dedicated to providing a like experience to the better days here at skeptiko. I'm not convinced I am really suitable to lead a forum given my dislike for any kind of moderation. Very exciting news.

That is great news. I would encourage everyone looking for an alternative to join this new forum. I think you will find these guys more dedicated to providing a like experience to the better days here at skeptiko. I'm not convinced I am really suitable to lead a forum given my dislike for any kind of moderation. Very exciting news.

But you do not give up on Liberaparolado project, don't you? It has already started, and a lot of people are there posting. Liberaparolado must live, as well as Psience Quest. Everyone can contribute to both.

I only learned about this today and I am surprised and disappointed by Alex's unilateral and unannounced actions
I completely understand the forum members who were active in the deleted forums being upset
For me this brings up the whole issue of private and public and how the two interact
Although a forum may be a private enterprise belonging to a person; as an enterprise dependent on participating members of the public, to what extent (if at all) does it become a public enterprise and a public space and what rights (if any) do public contributors have
??

Last edited:
I only learned about this today and I am surprised and disappointed by Alex's unilateral and unannounced actions
I completely understand the forum members who were active in the deleted forums being upset
For me this brings up the whole issue of private and public and how the two interact
Although a forum may be a private enterprise belonging to a person, as an enterprise dependent on participating members of the public to what extent (if at all) does it become a public enterprise and a public space and what rights (if any) do public contributors have
??

David, you're welcome on two new forums - Liberaparolado and Psience Quest, both made by Skeptiko community members.

congrats. glad to see that you've got this off the ground. I'm happy announce this on skeptiko, and/or thru the forum.

I'm also happy to export, but don't see how to do from https://xenforo.com/. if anyone wants to take this on I'm happy to allow it.

congrats. glad to see that you've got this off the ground. I'm happy announce this on skeptiko, and/or thru the forum.

An announcement would be great, thanks!

I'm also happy to export, but don't see how to do from https://xenforo.com/. if anyone wants to take this on I'm happy to allow it.

I'd expect the export would have to be at the database level. Let me dig in to the documentation on the import tool we'd be using to see if I can figure out exactly which tables we'd need to export.

Alex, I think, this announcement should meet three conditions.

1) In announcement, both new forums - Liberaparolado and Psience Quest - should be mentioned, so everyone visiting the Skeptiko forum will learn about both.

2) It should also be mentioned that everyone is welcome to participate in all three forums (Skeptiko included) simultaneously.

3) And it should be mentioned both here on forum (as a separate "sticky" thread, maybe even a special one-thread announcement subsection) and on a podcast.

I think you will agree that these three conditions is necessary to for announcement to be full and proper!

But you do not give up on Liberaparolado project, don't you? It has already started, and a lot of people are there posting. Liberaparolado must live, as well as Psience Quest. Everyone can contribute to both.
I'm not giving up, but I just don't know that the world needs two new psi based forums. And LP is only days old. We won't lose by switching to the PQ forum. I would rather us all put 100% into PQ than to split efforts between the two and they are both only half as active.

I don't plan on deleting LP. But I am endorsing PQ.

I'm not giving up, but I just don't know that the world needs two new psi based forums. And LP is only days old. We won't lose by switching to the PQ forum. I would rather us all put 100% into PQ than to split efforts between the two and they are both only half as active.

I don't plan on deleting LP. But I am endorsing PQ.
Ooh tactical voting. Love it.

Very, very sorry about all this.
It's like having good friends go through an ugly divorce - I find it impossibile to take sides. So I won't. But certainly this has saddened me. I'm glad to hear that some kind of solution has been found but it's still very sad.
I will use all platforms (although I'm usually too busy to post much...) and hope some kind of reconciliation between those more directly involved will take place, even if this may not be possible in the near future.

I don't think it need be seen as a divorce, ugly or otherwise. Think of it as a flourishing, an expansion. When a tree releases its seeds and they spread far and wide, it just leads to more trees.

Back