My new book on precognitive dreams

Hi everyone—I used to be a regular contributor here, and I've stopped by to show you what this Skeptiko graduate has been up to. Here's a description of some of the book's surprising features:

http://brucesiegel.net/2017/08/31/dreams-that-come-true-a-phenomenon-reconsidered/

Looking forward to your questions and comments!

By the way—the very first "version" of this book was a thread I started here on Skeptiko many years ago (probably now deleted). Its name was something like "How to prove to yourself that psychic ability is real." Had some interesting back-and-forth at the time, with some great dreams reported by commenters.

Thanks,
Bruce Siegel

Last edited:
Bruce,

You should be able to go to your profile page, and click on 'postings' to find it.

Most of the useful stuff in the two dead forums was moved to the consciousness forum.

David

Are there some secrets in your boook that you would like to give away here that people don't know already?

I mean most of us are familiar with the idea that some dreams do seem to relate to future events.

I find it hard to remember mine long enough to write them down, but those I did write down are utterly weird. One in particular, that invoked no terror at the time, went as follows.

I was with a group of people sitting down to a meal, and someone said that this meal was going to be cannibalistic.
The rump roast arrived, still in a pair of jeans, and we were contemplating how to carve it up when I woke up!

I hope that one will not turn out to be precognitive!

David

Are there some secrets in your boook that you would like to give away here that people don't know already? I mean most of us are familiar with the idea that some dreams do seem to relate to future events.
Thanks for the great question, David!

When I began my experiment in precognitive dreaming, I too was familiar with the general concept. And for a variety of reasons, I suspected the phenomenon might be genuine.

But I was just emerging from several decades as a near-militant skeptic. And while I was increasingly intrigued by such things as NDE's, I felt that if I were going to continue moving forward in what I was beginning to think of as a spiritual direction, I needed proof—proof that science was mistaken on fundamental matters. Proof that I wasn't crazy for beginning to doubt that "matter is all that matters."

Clear, unmistakable, first-hand proof.

So that's where my experiment comes in. I no longer have the slightest doubt that psi is real. And that makes a huge difference in my ability to trust other experiences I've had—transcendent ones—not to mention the inspiring experiences of so many other people.

As to your dream:

"I was with a group of people sitting down to a meal, and someone said that this meal was going to be cannibalistic.
The rump roast arrived, still in a pair of jeans, and we were contemplating how to carve it up when I woke up!"

Now suppose that 5 minutes after waking up from that dream, you received an email from your sister saying:

"David, I just had dinner with a bunch of really arrogant snobs. The questions they were asking me! It's like they were taking out their knives, ready to eat my butt alive!"

And since you stress that the rump roast was "in jeans," suppose your sister's name were Jean!

Get the point? This is what I call a "garden variety" precognitive dream. It's not the sort Andrew Paquette discusses in his great book. His dreams usually seem more like literal previews of later events.

But suppose your (hypothetical) synchronicity were extremely common in your experience? Suppose it's the sort of thing that happens one out of four times you document a dream? Mightn't that serve as the sort of absolute proof I said I was looking for?

Well, that's what my book is about. Because after documenting 250 dreams, I've discovered that one out four provide the sort of evidence I just described, though often with considerably more detail. And 39% of those "came true" within an hour, making them particularly hard to dismiss. (I don't claim to know what these percentages might be for other people.)

Some of the features of the hypothetical case I just concocted are important features of the book, and rarely discussed:

• Dreams that come true instantly or nearly so. (I call them lead-up dreams.)
• Unmistakable "puns," verbal or otherwise. For example: a man dreams of being guillotined and is awakened by a canopy rod striking the back of his neck.
• Dreams that we may be tempted to dismiss as coincidence. That is, until we investigate the phenomenon systematically, and begin to see how astonishingly often these sorts of things happen.

So David, my book will be especially useful for those who have a need to prove these things to themselves, and are looking for guidance in conducting their own experiment. And the "secret" I want to share, is that the same clear proof that is available to dreamers like Andy Paquette, is likely available to the majority of us, if we know what to look for, and how to go about looking for it.

Last edited:
You can see a detailed account of one of my precognitive dreams on the Amazon site. Use the "Look Inside" feature for the Kindle (not the paperback) version of my book. It's on the last few pages displayed, and is called "The Man Beneath The Spinning Blades." Remember: this is the sort of thing that happens one out of four times I document a dream.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072WFHHVW?ref_=pe_2427780_160035660#reader_B072WFHHVW

Now suppose that 5 minutes after waking up from that dream, you received an email from your sister saying:

"David, I just had dinner with a bunch of really arrogant snobs. The questions they were asking me! It's like they were taking out their knives, ready to eat my butt alive!"
That would have been really amazing because I don't have a sister! Nothing matched the dreams I could remember!

More to the point, it is obviously VERY important to somehow limit the amount of interpretation that you permit yourself. Obviously sceptics wouldn't allow any, and if you dreamed of a 9-car pile-up outside your house, and an 8-car pile-up happened 100 yards away, they would count that as a miss!

I have been wondering if there would be any way to do something rigorous with this information. It isn't easy, because the dreamer (you) will also report the events that match.

However, Dean Radin describes a guy who decided to get rich on the stock markets using remote viewing. Trying to remote view the rates directly didn't work, so he used an indirect scheme. A colleague ran a computer program that produced a set of about three random images that were to be associated with a particular stock rising in the next week, and another three images associated with that stock falling. When that time arrived, he made a point of viewing the images that corresponded to the stock market.

OK - so a week before, he would try to remote view the scene in which he was shown the images and the stock market results. Then after a while he started to act on his remote viewings a week before they would come true. He managed to make a lot of money. I think it was in Supernormal, if you want the exact details.

I can't quite see how something similar might be possible with dreaming, but it illustrates how an indirect method of ψ can be rather effective. Of course, you needn't put real money on the stock market, just so long as you carefully recorded the money that you would have made if you were doing it for real. Don't try this method if you think it might get you hooked on gambling on the stock market!

I think the facts that make me fairly confident we are non-materialist at heart are:

1) The Hard Problem.

2) The zillions of people who experience NDE's. Never mind AWARE, the whole NDE scenario doesn't make sense according to conventional science.

3) The corruptibility of modern science. Remember, that a lot of scientists supported the concept of ψ 100 years ago, and nothing has changed since then, indeed computer based experiments have made the evidence much stronger.

David

"More to the point, it is obviously VERY important to somehow limit the amount of interpretation that you permit yourself."

Good point, David. Essentially, I don't allow myself any interpretation. In evaluating the strength of these cases, I make a list of the correlations between dream and waking event, and word them in such a way that they are indisputably and literally true.

For example, for your hypothetical case:

"if you dreamed of a 9-car pile-up outside your house, and an 8-car pile-up happened 100 yards away, they would count that as a miss!"

Based on that, I would include only these items in my list:

• Within a hundred yards of my house
• Eight or nine cars are involved in a pile-up.

That expresses the hits accurately, and eliminates the interpretation quandary.

In "The Man Beneath The Spinning Blades" case, linked to above, the correlations are:

• A man is seated beneath spinning helicopter blades,
• completely exposed to the elements,
• flying down a street-like corridor,
• precariously threading the narrow passage between power lines that surround him on both sides.

If you look at the photos on that page, and compare them to the quoted text from my dream, you'll see that skeptics can't argue with any of those hits. Nothing's being interpreted.

I can't comment much on Radin's stock market scheme. For a variety of reasons, it's beyond my understanding.

I like your list of reasons to doubt materialism, David. NDE's have been particular persuasive for me, too.

I personally would add to that list, among other things, my own experiences in altered states, and my precognitive dreams.

By the way, with respect to this:

"Nothing matched the dreams I could remember!"

I used to feel the same way. It wasn't until I started recording all my dreams in detail, that I began to notice the compelling correlations.

Last edited: