Mod+ NDE books removed from Christian Book Stores

K9!

New
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865624968/Heaven-can-wait-Christian-bookstore-chain-says.html

The Baptist Press news service quotes company spokesman Marty King as saying, "Last summer, as we began developing LifeWay's new structure and direction — what we've now identified as One LifeWay — the role of heaven visitation resources was included in our considerations. We decided these experiential testimonies about heaven would not be a part of our new direction, so we stopped re-ordering them for our stores last summer."

The bookstore move comes after the Southern Baptist Convention, the denomination's governing body, last year passed a resolution declaring the books suspect. Among other complaints, the resolution noted, "Many devout and well-meaning people allow these to become their source and basis for an understanding of the afterlife rather than scriptural truth."

I guess this isn't surprising.

I think this is a small example of something that I think has happened over and over within Christianity (and presumably other major religions) - ignore anything that deviates from the doctrine, while the doctrine itself is allowed to evolve on its own - where for example, will you find anything about the infallibility of the Pope within the bible!

This has gradually destroyed Christianity, but science seems equally vulnerable to this malaise.

David

Maybe not surprising. Though I consider it a backward step.
I'm not so sure it is such a bad thing. While it does hurt the marketability of NDE books, I'm not so sure that's a bad thing.

For instance, IANDS conferences used to be a place where people could talk about their NDEs with other experiencers. A few researchers were there too, so it was also a place for researchers to present their work and connect with NDErs. But it did not used to be a place for "NDE groupies" to see the latest big name author of an NDE book. And sadly, that's what the conference has become.

Unfortunately, there are good NDEs (marketable ones), and bad NDEs (ones that won't pack in an audience) now. IANDS has a tendency to showcase the marketable ones in order to raise money for the organization, but by doing so it's really skewing everyone's idea as to what these experiences are like. If someone had a bad experience, no one wants to hear about it. There even seems to be an effort to ignore the troubling issues that many NDErs face, such as high rates of divorce. So instead of being a support group, IANDS is becoming a place to advertise marketable NDEs.

I think this is a small example of something that I think has happened over and over within Christianity (and presumably other major religions) - ignore anything that deviates from the doctrine, while the doctrine itself is allowed to evolve on its own - where for example, will you find anything about the infallibility of the Pope within the bible!

This has gradually destroyed Christianity, but science seems equally vulnerable to this malaise.

David
Christianity was destroyed? Really? It's still the most popular religion in the world. As for the Pope stuff - that's Catholicism not Christianity.

I'm not so sure it is such a bad thing. While it does hurt the marketability of NDE books, I'm not so sure that's a bad thing.
Yeah. I think the focus on NDEs has given many people tunnel vision. (Oh I didn't did I? lol)

Back