NDE's during dialysis

Max_B

Interesting paper from the Far East, suggesting that Dialysis patients might be a useful group to use for studying Near Death Experiences across the world.

Apparently NDE's are relatively common during Dialysis. Patients already have a lot of monitoring equipment in place. Regular Dialysis sessions allow patients to build a friendly relationship with medical staff, and therefore patients tend to be more forthcoming about their experiences, and have more time available to take part in research.

It may not be quite as good as studying NDE's during cardiac arrest, but the authors suggest there are many more potential events, within a much more controlled setting, allowing easier research on the differences between these experiences.... not just locally, but internationally, and many patients have more than one NDE during their dialysis... which offers particularly interesting comparisons.

Sounds very reasonable to me...

http://newdualism.org/nde-papers/Lai/Lai-American Journal of Kidney Diseases_2007-50-124-132.pdf

IIRC... there was one woman from the study who had two separate NDE's at different times, and she had the same imagery/experience on both occasions.

Seems like a good idea. I think there are two interesting aspects of NDEs from a parapsychology perspective -

1) The commonality between experiences.
2) The acquiring of unknown information that has a low to zero probability of being obtained by mundane means.

If either of those, but especially the second, can be shown through this research it will prove interesting and possibly (in the case of the second) groundbreaking.

p.s. I suppose some telekinesis would also be interesting but AFAIK this isn't something that happens w/ NDEs?

Reactions: tim
Seems like a good idea. I think there are two interesting aspects of NDEs from a parapsychology perspective -

1) The commonality between experiences.
2) The acquiring of unknown information that has a low to zero probability of being obtained by mundane means.

If either of those, but especially the second, can be shown through this research it will prove interesting and possibly (in the case of the second) groundbreaking.

p.s. I suppose some telekinesis would also be interesting but AFAIK this isn't something that happens w/ NDEs?

Yeah, I agree. I think you could come up with some creative placement of real time targets in this sort of setting, and for some reason I feel this would be more acceptable.

I wish one of these rich foundations who fund these sorts of studies would put money into the development of a simple real-time target device that could be used for studying OBE's. Mass produced in China. Then also sold to the public as a device to investigate OBE's at home. All profits ploughed back into further development. I reckon it would be a money spinner. Everyone has one on their bedside table. The latest Fad? Might be possible to create a simpler version as an App for a phone too.

Michael Sabom's research partner, Sarah Kreutziger (psychiatrist) found her first NDE report from a dialysis patient. Apparently a percentage really do/did get very ill and close to copping it.

Last edited:
Michael Sabom's research partner, Sarah Kreutzigar (psychiatrist) found her first NDE report from a dialysis patient. Apparently a percentage really do/did get very ill and close to copping it.

Somehow it looks like it got dropped then... but has been rediscovered in the Far East. I've never come across dialysis NDE's before... or at least I wasn't aware of them if I did.

Somehow it looks like it got dropped then... but has been rediscovered in the Far East. I've never come across dialysis NDE's before... or at least I wasn't aware of them if I did.
Do you have any of the NDE's from that paper above ? For some reason the link doesn't work for me but don't worry.

Wonder if your PDF viewer is upto date, nowadays they stop working automatically when they are not upto date.
Maybe.

Though there are a lot of different PDF viewers available, I stopped using the Adobe version as the newer versions were bloated with features I didn't want or need, while essential features were apparently scrapped.

Yeah, I moved off onto a lightweight PDF viewer/editor too, it's lightning fast and I'm not restricted in how I edit PDF's...

Unfortunately we still need to use the Adobe crap at work for a few operations, got called down to say it was no longer working last year, and discovered that it gets disabled very regularly without updating on some browsers...

Does anyone know why people have this experience - is it that the dialysis happens slightly too late - too much toxin in their blood - or is it something about the dialysis process itself?

David

Does anyone know why people have this experience - is it that the dialysis happens slightly too late - too much toxin in their blood - or is it something about the dialysis process itself?

David
It does mention in the article that there are a number of potential emergencies associated with dialysis. I think the answer to your question is 'both'.

David

Yeah, I'd like to look into this a bit deeper myself.

David

I think it's just when any of the vital organs shut down, death quickly follows. During George Best's liver transplant (for instance..not quite the same but)
he had an OBE, seeing himself below on the operating table. I'll see if I can be more specific, problem is I do believe my computer is going to expire soon. Oh well into the skip and down to PC world.

Back