Near death experience...maybe? possibly??

I wrote a thread recently about my father's death bed visions in the Skeptiko forum, one of a few experiences that have me questioning my beliefs about life, the possibility of life after death, and all that stuff. :)

This was another intense experience that I'm still trying figure out/process. I'd love any feedback on this, as I only shared this with my best friend right after it happened, and a few years later with The Division of Perceptual Studies at the University of Virginia (I shared my entire list of "intense/unexplainable experiences" with them in hopes of helping them with their studies on these issues).

This happened around 2006, give or take, if I remember correctly.

I was sleeping and having a dream where I was on an analyst's couch -- it was very stereotypical with me laying down on the leather couch and a male therapist asking me questions and attempting to have me relax into hypnosis. I suddenly felt (and heard) this intense WHOOSH. I felt like I suddenly woke up out of the dream, or more like was sucked out of it by this incredible whooshing sensation.

Then I was standing in this pitch black area. And I felt the most unbelievable sense of bliss, joy, happiness that I've never before experienced in my life. There's really nothing I can compare it to, but my first thought during the experiences was, "WOW, this is better than drugs!!!" (lol!) It was just beyond anything I thought was humanly possible to feel. Even though it was pitch black, there was no fear at all. Then I had the feeling I should start walking/moving. As I moved or "walked" forward, a small city with a street and multi-colored street lights appeared ahead of me. There was a hill or small mountain beyond the street, there also seemed to be a person guiding me where to go, although I couldn't really see them, more like sensed him/her.

As I reached closer to the street and hill, the colors from the street lamps seemed to get brighter and start to swirl together in my vision, with yellow becoming the predominant color. I felt nothing but complete love and bliss, but I started to have second thoughts about continuing. I felt like I was going to meet someone once I reached over the hill (God, angels?) and I felt not ready and not worthy. Even though the love and acceptance I was feeling never abated, I started to resist going forward. That's something I regret now with all my heart. I wish I just went with it. But I metaphorically started to dig in my heels, even as the love and bliss and yellow/gold light intensified. Then I remember nothing but waking up the next morning.

I don't know if that was a dream, but it didn't feel dream-like at all. And I've hoped since that I could get a second chance to go back there. But nothing similar has happened as much as I've asked and prayed for it.

I learned later that after seeing a neurologist about frequent migraines that I stop breathing in my sleep briefly during the night (sleep apnea).

I wonder if maybe that night I stopped breathing altogether and died briefly/had an NDE.

Selina

Last edited:
I wonder if maybe that night I stopped breathing altogether and died briefly/had an NDE.
Thanks for sharing this intriguing experience. I suspect that you may have briefly stopped breathing, and perhaps the heart-rate may have slowed to well below the normal rate too, which might describe the physical context. But that explains nothing.

It does sound in many respects like an NDE - though these come in all sorts of shapes and sizes, I don't think it is necessary to try to file every experience neatly into the correct box. It was a powerful experience which makes it valid in its own right, regardless of how we choose to label it.

I did have an experience myself a number of years ago, not really like yours at all, but afterwards I considered it possible that I had temporarily stopped breathing while I slept.

In my dream, I was looking out from the doorway of our house, looking at the unusually dark sky as if a storm was approaching. Then there was a deep, low sound, one which I cannot describe, but it felt as if the whole Earth had stopped revolving, time itself had stopped. The feeling was intense, not frightening, just somehow unlike any ordinary experience either waking or sleeping. Immediately after that I awoke, asking myself, "What the **** was that?". I still don't have any answer.

I wrote a thread recently about my father's death bed visions in the Skeptiko forum, one of a few experiences that have me questioning my beliefs about life, the possibility of life after death, and all that stuff. :)

This was another intense experience that I'm still trying figure out/process. I'd love any feedback on this, as I only shared this with my best friend right after it happened, and a few years later with The Division of Perceptual Studies at the University of Virginia (I shared my entire list of "intense/unexplainable experiences" with them in hopes of helping them with their studies on these issues).

This happened around 2006, give or take, if I remember correctly.

I was sleeping and having a dream where I was on an analyst's couch -- it was very stereotypical with me laying down on the leather couch and a male therapist asking me questions and attempting to have me relax into hypnosis. I suddenly felt (and heard) this intense WHOOSH. I felt like I suddenly woke up out of the dream, or more like was sucked out of it by this incredible whooshing sensation.

Then I was standing in this pitch black area. And I felt the most unbelievable sense of bliss, joy, happiness that I've never before experienced in my life. There's really nothing I can compare it to, but my first thought during the experiences was, "WOW, this is better than drugs!!!" (lol!) It was just beyond anything I thought was humanly possible to feel. Even though it was pitch black, there was no fear at all. Then I had the feeling I should start walking/moving. As I moved or "walked" forward, a small city with a street and multi-colored street lights appeared ahead of me. There was a hill or small mountain beyond the street, there also seemed to be a person guiding me where to go, although I couldn't really see them, more like sensed him/her.

As I reached closer to the street and hill, the colors from the street lamps seemed to get brighter and start to swirl together in my vision, with yellow becoming the predominant color. I felt nothing but complete love and bliss, but I started to have second thoughts about continuing. I felt like I was going to meet someone once I reached over the hill (God, angels?) and I felt not ready and not worthy. Even though the love and acceptance I was feeling never abated, I started to resist going forward. That's something I regret now with all my heart. I wish I just went with it. But I metaphorically started to dig in my heels, even as the love and bliss and yellow/gold light intensified. Then I remember nothing but waking up the next morning.

I don't know if that was a dream, but it didn't feel dream-like at all. And I've hoped since that I could get a second chance to go back there. But nothing similar has happened as much as I've asked and prayed for it.

I learned later that after seeing a neurologist about frequent migraines that I stop breathing in my sleep briefly during the night (sleep apnea).

Selina
I too have sometimes wondered about my own childhood STE, as to whether I had stopped breathing temporarily, and that was the trigger for my experience. It was certainly very intense, and it's the only one I've ever had that was anything like that. I also wondered whether it might have been triggered by my estranged grandfather passing away, I never connected the two events at the time, as I was not told of his death until some days later, but it was around the same time. Many years later, a psychotherapist suggested it was to do with how my life was back then, I could see her point on one level, and accepted that, but I still felt that it was also working on some other level that was telling me something more profound about what goes on here. I still do feel that.

There is no way of me knowing if any, or all are correct, but it was a very profound experience, that has stayed with me all my life.

I had a dream similar to yours in a small part. I will link to it here

http://www.skeptiko-forum.com/threads/it-was-only-a-dream-right.1548/

there was a dream on the third and fourth nights, it repeated, which had a "city of gold" on a small mountain. There was a later dream which I have not told which revisited this location. Your dream feels much like mine. It could be a near death experience as I have always interpreted this place to be the "other side".

As for the grandfather above. I have spoken with several people who have "spoken" with the recently departed. This happened to me a few years ago shortly after a friend of mine was murdered. He told me he tried to come to me right away, but "they" wouldn't let him to me. He called them my "bodyguards" He then proceeded to tell me things about me I never told him in real life. it could always be written off as a dream, but I know it was him. Which is the same thing everyone else has told me when they report similar dreams about the recently departed.