Never talk to the police?

Didn't watch the video, but I knew about this. We tend to trust people to understand us and trust what we say is true because this is how our lives normally work. But police don't operate that way. They can twist anything you say and make indecision or innocent contradictory statements look like signs of guilt. Best just to shut the heck up.

Didn't watch the video, but I knew about this. We tend to trust people to understand us and trust what we say is true because this is how our lives normally work. But police don't operate that way. They can twist anything you say and make indecision or innocent contradictory statements look like signs of guilt. Best just to shut the heck up.

You got that right.

It's interesting to see this is a trend:

Top Ten Reasons Why You Should Not Talk to the Police

REASON #1: Talking to the police CANNOT help you.

REASON #2: Even if you’re guilty, and you want to confess and get it off your chest, you still shouldn’t talk to the police.

REASON #3: Even if you are innocent, it’s easy to tell some little white lie in the course of a statement.

REASON #4: Even if you are innocent, and you only tell the truth, and you don’t tell any little white lies, it is possible to give the police some detail of information that can be used to convict you.

REASON #5: Even if you were innocent, and you only tell the truth, and you don’t tell any little white lies, and you don’t give the police any information that can be used against you to prove motive or opportunity, you still should not talk to the police because the possibility that the police might not recall your statement with 100% accuracy.

REASON #6: Even if you’re innocent, and you only tell the truth, and your entire statement is videotaped so that the police don’t have to rely on their memory, an innocent person can still make some innocent assumption about a fact or state some detail about the case they overheard on the way to the police station, and the police will assume that they only way the suspect could have known that fact or that detail was if he was, in fact, guilty.

REASON #7: Even if you’re innocent, and you only tell the truth in your statement, and you give the police no information that can be used against you, and the whole statement is videotaped, a suspect’s answers can still be used against him if the police (through no fault of their own) have any evidence that any of the suspect’s statements are false (even if they are really true).

REASON #8: The police do not have authority to make deals or grant a suspect leniency in exchange for getting as statement.

REASON #9: Even if a suspect is guilty, and wants to confess, there may be mitigating factors which justify a lesser charge.

REASON #10: Even for a completely honest and innocent person, it is difficult to tell the same story twice in exactly the same way.

People who think every problem should solved with a new law should be aware that every law is an opportunity for the police to harass you and for the government to put you in jail if some bureaucrat decides he doesn't like you. The problem is worse than just false arrest because with some police officers, if you look at them the wrong way, if you try to stand up for your rights, or for no reason at all, they tackle you for "resisting arrest" and that can be fatal as it was for Eric Garner. One reason for the Ferguson riots is the anger caused by police harassing the people who live in that town.

http://marginalrevolution.com/marginalrevolution/2014/08/ferguson-and-the-debtors-prison.html
Ferguson is a city located in northern St. Louis County with 21,203 residents living in 8,192 households. The majority (67%) of residents are African-American…22% of residents live below the poverty level.

Despite Ferguson’s relative poverty, fines and court fees comprise the second largest source of revenue for the city, a total of $2,635,400. In 2013, the Ferguson Municipal Court disposed of 24,532 warrants and 12,018 cases, or about 3 warrants and 1.5 cases per household.
For a simple speeding ticket, an attorney is paid $50-$100, the municipality is paid $150-$200 in fines and court costs, and the defendant avoids points on his or her license as well as a possible increase in insurance costs. For simple cases, neither the attorney nor the defendant must appear in court.

However, if you do not have the ability to hire an attorney or pay fines, you do not get the benefit of the amendment, you are assessed points, your license risks suspension and you still owe the municipality money you cannot afford….If you cannot pay the amount in full, you must appear in court on that night to explain why. If you miss court, a warrant will likely be issued for your arrest.

People who are arrested on a warrant for failure to appear in court to pay the fines frequently sit in jail for an extended period. None of the municipalities has court on a daily basis and some courts meet only once per month. If you are arrested on a warrant in one of these jurisdictions and are unable to pay the bond, you may spend as much as three weeks in jail waiting to see a judge.

Of course, if you are arrested and jailed you will probably lose your job and perhaps also your apartment–all because of a speeding ticket.
"Of course, if you are arrested and jailed you will probably lose your job and perhaps also your apartment–all because of a speeding ticket."

Last edited:
http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Peace/...n-Receives-1-12-Million-For-False-Prosecution
Long Island Woman Receives $1.12 Million For False Prosecution

A Long Island federal jury rewarded Nancy Genovese, 58, a mother of three, $1.12 million in compensatory damages after being arrested in 2009 for attempting to photograph a helicopter at a Air National Guard base in the Hamptons. Genovese intended to use the photo on a “Support the Troops” website; she was arrested for trespass and insulted as a "Teabagger."

From The New York Post:
Southhampton cops searched her and found a legally owned rifle that she was transporting from a nearby rifle range. She contends a deputy sheriff arrived on the scene later and said to her, “I bet you are one of those Tea Party people.” When Genovese said she’s gone to Tea Party rallies, he allegedly said, “You’re a real right-winger, aren’t you?” and “You are a ‘Teabagger’” and then added that she’d be arrested for terrorism to make an example of other “right wingers.”
Authorities jailed Genovese for four days before she posted $50,000. The court dismissed the charge in November 2009, but Brewington claims she “was subjected to humiliation and was strip-searched” during her four days in prison.

“Ms Genovese was subjected to a level of abuse because they did not share the same political views as she did and saw this as an excuse to deny her even the most basic civil rights,” he said.

The problem is worse than just false arrest because with some police officers, if you look at them the wrong way, if you try to stand up for your rights, or for no reason at all, they tackle you for "resisting arrest"

http://rfalconcam.com/forum/index.php?action=printpage;topic=1072.0
While I was birding on the Rumney Marsh west of Rte.107 Yesterday, someone in one of the houses that back up onto the marsh called the Saugus police because they thought I was looking at their house. The police arrived just after I had exited the marsh at Bristow and Beachview Streets. I was arrested on trumped up charges after being thrown to the ground with my brand new Bushnell Ex Explorer binoculars around my neck!
This after telling the officer what I had been doing, and listing for him the birds I saw. He kept insisting that birds aren't seen in winter. My binoculars are being held as evidence, and this is after I had told the booking officer that they were brand new and disclosed the price. The charges are disorderly conduct, resisting arrest(even though I was never told that I was under arrest) and assaulting an officer.(my brother says I can kiss my binoculars goodbye).

Stae.png

Doug

My question would be what are the stats on police who've been killed in that period? My guess would be that if a decent amount of police are getting killed, most of the rest will start getting nervous and jerky while on the job, leading to these shootings that make national news. Meanwhile, deaths of police officers probably don't get past local news.

The thing I think some people are forgetting these days are that police are people too, and most of the blame for the things people dislike about the police nowadays are due to politicians and their "activities". The rest is due to officers who are either overzealous or overly anxious.

I don't think every cop is a corrupt asshole, but the police-industrial complex is a mess:

Protesters in Berkeley/Oakland outed two undercover cops who were reportedly trying to instigate looting among the crowd. Instead of backing off and calling it a day, one of the cops pulled out his baton and then his gun, started pointing it at protesters and making arrests.

Two high-ranking Hollywood cops were busted deleting evidence about them and their friends from their Internal Affairs files. No charges filed but they were fined $500 apiece.

Police shoot and kill a man during a late night raid to his house for drugs. No drugs found, the attorney for the wife of the murdered American citizen says evidence shows he was shot in the back and the side of the head while laying on the ground.

Retired NYPD detective claims he was racially profiled when he was attacked by fellow officers.

In September police took a 17-year-old black kid out of school on suspicion of armed robbery. Despite no evidence tying the kid to the crime and him not even fitting the description of the suspect, he was held for a month in jail and finally released when the judge looked at the case. Turned out the "victim" likely didn't want to get in trouble for coming home late after curfew so made up the story of getting robbed.

A must-read article from The Economist about the militarization of American police forces, and the resultant mayhem and carnage:

http://www.economist.com/news/unite...-have-become-too-militarised-cops-or-soldiers

Cops or soldiers?
America’s police have become too militarised

It is easy to see why the police like to be better armed than the people they have to arrest. They risk their lives every day, and are understandably keen to get home in one piece. A big display of force can make a suspect think twice about pulling a gun. “An awful lot of SWAT tactics are focused on forcing the suspect to surrender,” says Bill Bratton, New York’s police chief.

But civil libertarians such as Radley Balko, the author of “Rise of the Warrior Cop”, fret that the American police are becoming too much like soldiers. Special Weapons and Tactics (SWAT) teams (ie, paramilitary police units) were first formed to deal with violent civil unrest and life-threatening situations: shoot-outs, rescuing hostages, serving high-risk warrants and entering barricaded buildings, for instance. Their mission has crept.

Peter Kraska, a professor at Eastern Kentucky University’s School of Justice Studies, estimates that SWAT teams were deployed about 3,000 times in 1980 but are now used around 50,000 times a year. Some cities use them for routine patrols in high-crime areas. Baltimore and Dallas have used them to break up poker games. In 2010 New Haven, Connecticut sent a SWAT team to a bar suspected of serving under-age drinkers. That same year heavily-armed police raided barber shops around Orlando, Florida; they said they were hunting for guns and drugs but ended up arresting 34 people for “barbering without a licence”. Maricopa County, Arizona sent a SWAT team into the living room of Jesus Llovera, who was suspected of organising cockfights. Police rolled a tank into Mr Llovera’s yard and killed more than 100 of his birds, as well as his dog. According to Mr Kraska, most SWAT deployments are not in response to violent, life-threatening crimes, but to serve drug-related warrants in private homes.

<snip>

Often these no-knock raids take place at night, accompanied by “flash-bang” grenades designed temporarily to blind, deafen and confuse their targets. They can go horribly wrong: Mr Balko has found more than 50 examples of innocent people who have died as a result of botched SWAT raids. Officers can get jumpy and shoot unnecessarily, or accidentally. In 2011 Eurie Stamps, the stepfather of a suspected drug-dealer but himself suspected of no crimes, was killed while lying face-down on the floor when a SWAT-team officer reportedly tripped, causing his gun to discharge.

Householders, on hearing the door being smashed down, sometimes reach for their own guns. In 2006 Kathryn Johnston, a 92-year-old woman in Atlanta, mistook the police for robbers and fired a shot from an old pistol. Police shot her five times, killing her. After the shooting they planted marijuana in her home. It later emerged that they had falsified the information used to obtain their no-knock warrant.

<snip>

Because of a legal quirk, SWAT raids can be profitable. Rules on civil asset-forfeiture allow the police to seize anything which they can plausibly claim was the proceeds of a crime. Crucially, the property-owner need not be convicted of that crime. If the police find drugs in his house, they can take his cash and possibly the house, too. He must sue to get them back.

Many police departments now depend on forfeiture for a fat chunk of their budgets. In 1986, its first year of operation, the federal Asset Forfeiture Fund held $93.7m. By 2012, that and the related Seized Asset Deposit Fund held nearly $6 billion.

Mr Balko contends that these forfeiture laws are “unfair on a very basic level”. They “disproportionately affect low-income people” and provide a perverse incentive for police to focus on drug-related crimes, which “come with a potential kickback to the police department”, rather than rape and murder investigations, which do not. They also provide an incentive to arrest suspected drug-dealers inside their houses, which can be seized, and to bust stash houses after most of their drugs have been sold, when police can seize the cash.

Doug

A must-read article from The Economist about the militarization of American police forces, and the resultant mayhem and carnage:

http://www.economist.com/news/unite...-have-become-too-militarised-cops-or-soldiers

Cops or soldiers?

It is easy to see why the police like to be better armed than the people they have to arrest. They risk their lives every day, and are understandably keen to get home in one piece. A big display of force can make a suspect think twice about pulling a gun. “An awful lot of SWAT tactics are focused on forcing the suspect to surrender,” says Bill Bratton, New York’s police chief.

But civil libertarians such as Radley Balko, the author of “Rise of the Warrior Cop”, fret that the American police are becoming too much like soldiers. Special Weapons and Tactics (SWAT) teams (ie, paramilitary police units) were first formed to deal with violent civil unrest and life-threatening situations: shoot-outs, rescuing hostages, serving high-risk warrants and entering barricaded buildings, for instance. Their mission has crept.

Peter Kraska, a professor at Eastern Kentucky University’s School of Justice Studies, estimates that SWAT teams were deployed about 3,000 times in 1980 but are now used around 50,000 times a year. Some cities use them for routine patrols in high-crime areas. Baltimore and Dallas have used them to break up poker games. In 2010 New Haven, Connecticut sent a SWAT team to a bar suspected of serving under-age drinkers. That same year heavily-armed police raided barber shops around Orlando, Florida; they said they were hunting for guns and drugs but ended up arresting 34 people for “barbering without a licence”. Maricopa County, Arizona sent a SWAT team into the living room of Jesus Llovera, who was suspected of organising cockfights. Police rolled a tank into Mr Llovera’s yard and killed more than 100 of his birds, as well as his dog. According to Mr Kraska, most SWAT deployments are not in response to violent, life-threatening crimes, but to serve drug-related warrants in private homes.

<snip>

Often these no-knock raids take place at night, accompanied by “flash-bang” grenades designed temporarily to blind, deafen and confuse their targets. They can go horribly wrong: Mr Balko has found more than 50 examples of innocent people who have died as a result of botched SWAT raids. Officers can get jumpy and shoot unnecessarily, or accidentally. In 2011 Eurie Stamps, the stepfather of a suspected drug-dealer but himself suspected of no crimes, was killed while lying face-down on the floor when a SWAT-team officer reportedly tripped, causing his gun to discharge.

Householders, on hearing the door being smashed down, sometimes reach for their own guns. In 2006 Kathryn Johnston, a 92-year-old woman in Atlanta, mistook the police for robbers and fired a shot from an old pistol. Police shot her five times, killing her. After the shooting they planted marijuana in her home. It later emerged that they had falsified the information used to obtain their no-knock warrant.

<snip>

Because of a legal quirk, SWAT raids can be profitable. Rules on civil asset-forfeiture allow the police to seize anything which they can plausibly claim was the proceeds of a crime. Crucially, the property-owner need not be convicted of that crime. If the police find drugs in his house, they can take his cash and possibly the house, too. He must sue to get them back.

Many police departments now depend on forfeiture for a fat chunk of their budgets. In 1986, its first year of operation, the federal Asset Forfeiture Fund held $93.7m. By 2012, that and the related Seized Asset Deposit Fund held nearly $6 billion.
Mr Balko contends that these forfeiture laws are “unfair on a very basic level”. They “disproportionately affect low-income people” and provide a perverse incentive for police to focus on drug-related crimes, which “come with a potential kickback to the police department”, rather than rape and murder investigations, which do not. They also provide an incentive to arrest suspected drug-dealers inside their houses, which can be seized, and to bust stash houses after most of their drugs have been sold, when police can seize the cash.

Doug

This too! >>
http://weilerpsiblog.wordpress.com/...nd-what-it-shows-about-militarized-responses/

Cops or soldiers?

to surrender,” says Bill Bratton, New York’s police chief.

But civil libertarians such as Radley Balko, the author of “Rise of the Warrior Cop”, fret that the American police are becoming too much like soldiers. Special Weapons and Tactics (SWAT) teams (ie, paramilitary police units) were first formed to deal with violent civil unrest and life-threatening situations: shoot-outs, rescuing hostages, serving high-risk warrants and entering barricaded buildings, for instance.

I have Balko's book! I have had it for a long time but haven't got to it yet. (So many books and Internet, so little time....) I just got James Risen's book "Pay Any Price", and was thinking of starting that one next.

Back