New LSD study

It is worth reading this thread in connection with this:

http://www.skeptiko-forum.com/threa...ri-data-called-into-question.3330/#post-94482

I don't think MRI scans will ever tell us much of a fundamental nature about consciousness on or off LSD (I expanded my view in the above thread). I think the best way to research LSD would be to study people's actual experiences in these states, and to test for the possibility that ψ becomes stronger during or after one of these trips.

David

It is worth reading this thread in connection with this:

http://www.skeptiko-forum.com/threa...ri-data-called-into-question.3330/#post-94482

I don't think MRI scans will ever tell us much of a fundamental nature about consciousness on or off LSD (I expanded my view in the above thread). I think the best way to research LSD would be to study people's actual experiences in these states, and to test for the possibility that ψ becomes stronger during or after one of these trips.

David
I agree, but I do think the MEG measurements are still very useful, and getting better and better... they can even measure a fetus brain from outside the mother nowdays, stimulating the fetus with light shone through the womb, and the MEG measurements of the fetus response to the light can quite accurately predict whether the fetus will have a certain type of brain abnormality, or not. Which is quite some feat considering the practicalities of such a process.

I agree, but I do think the MEG measurements are still very useful, and getting better and better... they can even measure a fetus brain from outside the mother nowdays, stimulating the fetus with light shone through the womb, and the MEG measurements of the fetus response to the light can quite accurately predict whether the fetus will have a certain type of brain abnormality, or not. Which is quite some feat considering the practicalities of such a process.
Agreed, and the point here is quite subtle. By analogy, a technician can mend a computer without understanding in detail how a computer works. He may, for example, recognise certain symptoms as probably indicating some bad memory, and swap memory modules until he finds the defective one (or simply swap all of them!) Likewise, magnetic resonance techniques can be great at looking for things that might be going wrong - even without understanding how consciousness is generated at all!

Knowing a lot about the symptoms of bad memory, does not translate into understanding how computers work, and conversely, many people who do know the guts of how a computer works, would find it hard to mend a defective computer.

It is unfortunate that this distinction is often blurred by the very people whose job it is to think about such things.

David