Observing ‘Irrational’ Human Behaviour.

Steve

I didn’t know whether topic this would be acceptable on the forum, as it is purely ‘of this world’, there’s not much Spiritual about this behaviour. However I feel that the way we behave on this world is very important, and that God pays heed to our progress on earth, be it real or imaginary (Earth). Therefore I think that it’s worth discussing any behaviour that might affect our progress.

I definitely see what I consider strange behaviour ‘out in the open’ in 2020 that I think should not be ignored. It really isn’t important to me if you’re a Brit or American, a Republican or Democrat etc etc In my opinion this video shows some stuff that if any of you know or think you know why I find it confusing or agree with what people that Dore (and generally I) disagrees with, I’d be really interested to hear your opinion.

I didn’t know whether topic this would be acceptable on the forum, as it is purely ‘of this world’, there’s not much Spiritual about this behaviour. However I feel that the way we behave on this world is very important, and that God pays heed to our progress on earth, be it real or imaginary (Earth). Therefore I think that it’s worth discussing any behaviour that might affect our progress.

I definitely see what I consider strange behaviour ‘out in the open’ in 2020 that I think should not be ignored. It really isn’t important to me if you’re a Brit or American, a Republican or Democrat etc etc In my opinion this video shows some stuff that if any of you know or think you know why I find it confusing or agree with what people that Dore (and generally I) disagrees with, I’d be really interested to hear your opinion.

I liked that video - I had sort of predicted this for some time. The 'Left' are just being eaten by their own idiotic identity politics! It has eaten the Democrats in congress too - they are trying to unseat a President with pure nonsense - it won't work.

I get the feeling that Trump says the odd untruthful thing, more or less as an accident, but he doesn't try to run a wholly untruthful narrative about himself, like Elizabeth Warren did - claiming she was part Native American.

I mean, trying to get people with the right identity into positions of power, or even asserting that one minority is to be believed over another were bad ideas from the word go:

1) It creates ill feeling among the white/male population.

2) It progressively becomes sillier and sillier, till you end up with people seriously arguing whether all women tell the truth - even when they are politicians! How daft can things get - do you argue that any woman can commit murder but get off if she simply states she didn't do it! It sounds as if immigrants almost have that status inside US sanctuary cities.

Maybe Jimmy Dore is beginning to rumble the phoney 'Left' and their Neocon allies.

More abstractly, I do get the feeling that there has been a gigantic effort to distort the truth in the media. I don't know if it was a conspiracy of people, or of other entities. I have felt that for a long time. For example, just after the Mueller Russia probe collapsed, Fox News reported on a meeting at one of the other broadcasters, where journalists were told to replace the Russia hoax with the message that "Trump is a Racist!" - as cynical as that.

David

Last edited:
More abstractly, I do get the feeling that there has been a gigantic effort to distort the truth in the media

In the digital age, it has become common for information to be distorted by dedicated 'astro-turfing' efforts through the use of sock puppeting social media accounts, giving preferential treatment to those who support the narrative, and attacking those who oppose it. Often these methods are directly tied to state actors.

A small list of information:

CIA caught making disinformation in the 70's (supposedly discontinued) - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Mockingbird
FBI caught driving discourse on political matters, and infiltrating movements to make them appear more extreme, also in the 70's (supposedly discontinued) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COINTELPRO
Anti-propaganda law repealed in US, allowing federal agents to produce false or misleading information on behalf of state narratives. https://foreignpolicy.com/2013/07/1...an-spreads-government-made-news-to-americans/
More american 'astro-turfers' https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Earnest_Voice

There are military units that spread disinformation, and privately funded organizations that also spread disinformation on behalf of the state. It's also not exclusive to USA. The usual suspects also have their own propaganda wings.

Israel http://www.thejidf.org/2008/10/about-jidf.html https://www.mediamonitors.net/propaganda-and-war/
(from second link:Edward Said wrote that hasbara methods used during the Second Intifada included lunches and free trips for influential journalists; seminars for Jewish university students; invitations to congressmen; pamphlets and donation of money for election campaigns; telling photographers and writers what to photograph or write about; lecture and concert tours by prominent Israelis; frequent references to the Holocaust; advertisements in the newspapers attacking Arabs and praising Israel.

Britain https://www.theguardian.com/technol...ws-with-propagandists-and-hackers-in-one-unit https://www.wired.co.uk/article/uk-disinformation-twitter-facebook

China https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Water_Army (speculations are that around 280,000 people are paid to spread propaganda on behalf of China)

On irrationality:

In psychology we find that people operate with 2 primary tracks which we call the dual process theory. The first track, which is used the most is called the implicit track which operates on the sub-conscious level, is comprised of 'heuristics' and is automatic in nature. The second track, the explicit track relies on actual reasoning. Without knowledge of the implicit nature of most thinking, people often fall for translogic (pseudo-reasoning) which merely links two things together in a familiar way as a heuristic but is only right through coincidence, and is often wrong due to inherant biases.

An example of this dual track can be seen in this very simple logic puzzle, which most people get wrong. (I hope the reader has been sufficiently primed to activate their explicit track!)

If a mold takes 1 day to double the distance it is spreading across a petri dish, and successfully reaches the end of the petri dish on day 48 which day did it reach the half way point?

On irrationality:

In psychology we find that people operate with 2 primary tracks which we call the dual process theory. The first track, which is used the most is called the implicit track which operates on the sub-conscious level, is comprised of 'heuristics' and is automatic in nature. The second track, the explicit track relies on actual reasoning. Without knowledge of the implicit nature of most thinking, people often fall for translogic (pseudo-reasoning) which merely links two things together in a familiar way as a heuristic but is only right through coincidence, and is often wrong due to inherant biases.

An example of this dual track can be seen in this very simple logic puzzle, which most people get wrong. (I hope the reader has been sufficiently primed to activate their explicit track!)

If a mold takes 1 day to double the distance it is spreading across a petri dish, and successfully reaches the end of the petri dish on day 48 which day did it reach the half way point?
Day 47? The question is a bit odd because petri dishes are usually circular.

David

Day 47? The question is a bit odd because petri dishes are usually circular.

David
I would think it feels a bit awkward because, if we imagine starting with a single point at one edge, expanding as a curved arc as the distance covered increases, half the distance is not the same as half the area.

That means a problem with questions of this type is looking at the precise wording of the question. If for example it had asked on which day is exactly half the area of the dish covered, the answer might not be so simple.

However, the question as stated does not state that the mould starts from a point on the circumference. It could start from the centre, or indeed any other point. What fun!

Last edited:
I hate to spoil it for you guys but when I posted that I was paraphrasing a puzzle I had heard in psychology some time ago, the exact wording was (as we're all aware) not the point and is beyond my memory.

I hate to spoil it for you guys but when I posted that I was paraphrasing a puzzle I had heard in psychology some time ago, the exact wording was (as we're all aware) not the point and is beyond my memory.
When someone states that "this very simple logic puzzle, which most people get wrong" it is a direct cue to read the question extremely carefully. Many such puzzles contain some key point upon which the difference between the right and wrong answer is directly dependent.

That's not to say that I find fault with your original wording, but nevertheless, it was necessary to read it carefully and look out for details which might be missed on a casual glance.

Back