Other Interests and Hobbies

I didn't see a thread for this, so I figured I'd make one. Outside of the subjects talked about on here, what are yall's other interests and hobbies? I've recently taken an interest in watches, and have been trying to gather up horological knowhow for a little while now. So far, I've got a pretty good idea of the basics; things like the different watch styles, some famous movements, some of the complications used, and a bit about popular brands.

I live on a farm where the patriarch died within the last year. Now it falls to me to maintain probably half a dozen post and beam structures, some already in poor repair. We live in a valley so my secondary hobby centers around french drains. We still have a sawmill and I know the basics, so it is an adventuresome learning process. I only wish the task had fallen to me when I was 30 instead of 50. Oh well. I've already replaced a carburetor on a snowblower, applied triage to a falling corncrib, shored up the barn, and learned to sharpen and use chainsaws. Becoming quite the land manager. Kind of a hobby by necessity.

Anything outdoors for me. In particular skiing, hiking, scrambling, climbing and mountaineering. Although my climbing aspirations have been put on hold for now due to a tennis elbow that is not quite healing. I also play some tennis and canoe when the occasion presents itself.

Hey guys! Apologies for making this thread just to disappear for a few days. Far, it sounds like you've got quite a lot on your plate! You're learning quite a few interesting skills in the process though, which is always cool. I'd love to learn some handyman skills like yours and Jeroen's; I've learned a bit from my dad (whose one of these guys who seems to just know all things handy and useful, from cars to construction) over the years, but I'd probably have to quite a bit of researching in order to do anything worth mention.

Paul, I love those cars, and that's one mean-looking bike (technically a trike, I suppose :) ). The closest I've come to building a model of anything was a gundam robot snap-together model when I was younger, and trying my hand at fixing nicks and marks in the paint of my diecast cars, which never worked out well; I always ended up either getting the paint color ever-so-slightly wrong (which bothered me to no end) or putting too much paint and making it look splotchy. Do you do the paint on your models, or are they generally pre-painted? Do you mostly stick to cars and bikes, or do you like to do boats and whatnot too? I've always wanted to try my hand at a Titanic model, but I feel it would be pretty difficult. Regarding programming, another very cool skill! For all the time I spend on the computer, I know very little about software, or hardware for that matter. I tried to build myself a new computer this summer, but I didn't have enough money to get very far; My current build is basically my old computer with a new GPU and a bigger power supply, all inside an oversized tower.

Nicole, I wish I was a bit more outdoorsy! :) I used to explore some woods near my house when I was younger, but that's about as far as my outdoor excursions have ever gone, save for a few vacations at campgrounds with my family.

Jeroen, your home sounds like a training ground for all things handy, which is pretty awesome if you ask me. I feel like one of the best ways to learn something is to have some outside situation or circumstance depend on it; if something fails around the house, it narrows what one has to learn into something more concrete, rather than setting out on the goal to learn all things home repair. Do you enjoy your winter hermithood?

Hey guys! Apologies for making this thread just to disappear for a few days. Far, it sounds like you've got quite a lot on your plate! You're learning quite a few interesting skills in the process though, which is always cool. I'd love to learn some handyman skills like yours and Jeroen's; I've learned a bit from my dad (whose one of these guys who seems to just know all things handy and useful, from cars to construction) over the years, but I'd probably have to quite a bit of researching in order to do anything worth mention.

Paul, I love those cars, and that's one mean-looking bike (technically a trike, I suppose :) ). The closest I've come to building a model of anything was a gundam robot snap-together model when I was younger, and trying my hand at fixing nicks and marks in the paint of my diecast cars, which never worked out well; I always ended up either getting the paint color ever-so-slightly wrong (which bothered me to no end) or putting too much paint and making it look splotchy. Do you do the paint on your models, or are they generally pre-painted? Do you mostly stick to cars and bikes, or do you like to do boats and whatnot too? I've always wanted to try my hand at a Titanic model, but I feel it would be pretty difficult. Regarding programming, another very cool skill! For all the time I spend on the computer, I know very little about software, or hardware for that matter. I tried to build myself a new computer this summer, but I didn't have enough money to get very far; My current build is basically my old computer with a new GPU and a bigger power supply, all inside an oversized tower.

Nicole, I wish I was a bit more outdoorsy! :) I used to explore some woods near my house when I was younger, but that's about as far as my outdoor excursions have ever gone, save for a few vacations at campgrounds with my family.

Jeroen, your home sounds like a training ground for all things handy, which is pretty awesome if you ask me. I feel like one of the best ways to learn something is to have some outside situation or circumstance depend on it; if something fails around the house, it narrows what one has to learn into something more concrete, rather than setting out on the goal to learn all things home repair. Do you enjoy your winter hermithood?

It is cool to read about what people do when they aren't working or focusing on the forum. Paul's imaginary operating systems sound super interesting.

[QUOTE="Pepe Silvia, post: 87072, member: 719"...Jeroen's; I've learned a bit from my dad (whose one of these guys who seems to just know all things handy and useful, from cars to construction) over the years, but I'd probably have to quite a bit of researching in order to do anything worth mention.

Jeroen, your home sounds like a training ground for all things handy, which is pretty awesome if you ask me. I feel like one of the best ways to learn something is to have some outside situation or circumstance depend on it; if something fails around the house, it narrows what one has to learn into something more concrete, rather than setting out on the goal to learn all things home repair. Do you enjoy your winter hermithood?[/QUOTE]

Hello Pepe, nice to see your response. I didn't expect anyone to read this so I kept it extremely short. My father taught me a few valuable lessons about thinking and believing but not much about handywork. Especially cars and engines are unknown territory to me. By now I feel pretty confident I can plan and build a house, bear in mind me and my wife have an architecture/interior architecture company (she does most of the work) and she comes from a builder's family. That knowledge is just around and not so mysterious anymore. It gives a good feel to be able to repair your own house.

Being a hermit is okay and it likely is going to change as I have started to do more teaching and give workshops, that also takes place here in the winter times :)

My old project might be of interest to some people at this forum:
https://jeroencarelse.com/caloom-presentation/

takes 2-3 minutes to read and max 5 minutes to scroll through the video

Back