Pentamental Ep.1 w/ Misty Greer & Jonathan Talat Phillips

Greetings All. This is my new show/podcast on Sync Book Radio called Pentamental. I think the show description(s) sort of speaks for itself. I hope some of the topics appear interesting at a glance, and I appreciate you taking the time to listen (or just visit the site). Was unsure whether to dump this here, or in C&S sub-forum, but I figured the focus of this particular episode was as much "philosophical/spiritual" as it was "scientific". Thanks again. I can't really imagine my own personal development w/o Skeptiko generally, and this forum specifically:

Pentamental is a dialogue-based show that elucidates the intersection(s) between synchronicity, science, culture, & psychonautics. Through the medium of open-minded dialogue, we explore the possibility that the only way out, is in. Hosted by brothers John & Thomas Maguire.

Fashion Designer/Sync-Blogger Misty Greer & Author/Psychonaut/Energy Healer Talat Jonathan Phillips (aka Jonathan Talat Phillips):

http://thesyncbook.com/pentamental#Ep01

http://thesyncbook.com/

9760_808392192536422_6704029503301918117_n.jpg

Part 1 - 42 Shadez of Gray w/ Misty Greer:
Topics: Zhero, Twin Primes, 42, Ontological Primitives, The Ending of Time, Event Horizons, Apathy & Modern Art, Wearing Masks, Empathy Dance, Power of Language, Teaching Relationships, Nature’s Book, Fractal Space, ISIS, PKD, Dadaism, Cultural Inversion.

Part 2 - Personal Jesus w/ Jonathan Talat Phillips:
Topics: Saturn Return, The Mystery, Living In the Body, Shamanism & Schizophrenia, Translation, Psychedelic Medicine, Electric Jesus, Black Iron Prison, TED, Space Camp, Tricksters, Quantum Living, Black Bowling Ball, Color, Galactic Past Lives.

Referenced links:
. . . synchromisty.wordpress.com . . . mistygreer.com . . . talathealing.com . . . www.evolver.net . . . Space Camp: The World's First Center of Psychonautics

Last edited:
I gave it a listen, John. It was cool. I'm in a pretty weird place and I don't really have much to say about it. I feel like the context for both interviews is still inside the cave. Granted, you're not chained to the rock and you see the illusionary nature of it all. But you're still wandering around in the cave. You're still just talking about the infinite permutations of Maya. But it was cool. I enjoyed it. Thanks for putting it out there.

I gave it a listen, John. It was cool. I'm in a pretty weird place and I don't really have much to say about it. I feel like the context for both interviews is still inside the cave. Granted, you're not chained to the rock and you see the illusionary nature of it all. But you're still wandering around in the cave. You're still just talking about the infinite permutations of Maya. But it was cool. I enjoyed it. Thanks for putting it out there.

I really appreciate you investing your time like that. You're too kind, and I've always appreciated your contributions here on the forum.

I agree: We're in the cave, there is no "escape". With that said, "chasing the impossible", and doing one's best to "interface" with what is "beyond the cave", is I think the only way to pursue knowledge. I think it only becomes a fools errand if you habitually attach a bunch of aims/goals/necessary outcomes to everything you do. All I do is produce the stuff and hope it helps me think/feel more clearly, and maybe it'll spark something in someone else. I see it more as a living/ongoing psychedelic art-project, and in that respect isn't meant to be completely "user-friendly". I guess I'm just sort of done spelling out the basics for folks and just want to create the most interesting conversations I'm able to. Life's too short to be everything to everyone.

John

I was hoping I didn't come across as too negative. I totally get where you are coming from. I think though that a lot people get exposed to somebody like Jonathon Phillips and get caught up thinking that his path is the path. And his message doesn't explicitly contain that message, but his good vibes are infectious. There's another side where you don't have to be a freewheeling, drug-imbibing, tantric genius to touch some aspect of the true nature of reality. You don't need to be charming or charismatic or even have exposure to such people. No thing and no process outside one's self is going to lead anyone any closer than simply looking inside. And obviously you can't encompass every view during every minute of your show. You interviewed him because he's an amazing presence and he inspires others. I just am leery of people who have the answers. Even though I use them myself. I'm conflicted and I'm not really communicating what I want to say. I think people are hungry and I hope they don't think they need to be or be near someone like Jonathon Phillips to gain a morsel. And I'm sure he would say the same thing! I'm going nowhere here. I'm still thinking about it.

But thanks anyway.

I was hoping I didn't come across as too negative. I totally get where you are coming from. I think though that a lot people get exposed to somebody like Jonathon Phillips and get caught up thinking that his path is the path. And his message doesn't explicitly contain that message, but his good vibes are infectious. There's another side where you don't have to be a freewheeling, drug-imbibing, tantric genius to touch some aspect of the true nature of reality. You don't need to be charming or charismatic or even have exposure to such people. No thing and no process outside one's self is going to lead anyone any closer than simply looking inside. And obviously you can't encompass every view during every minute of your show. You interviewed him because he's an amazing presence and he inspires others. I just am leery of people who have the answers. Even though I use them myself. I'm conflicted and I'm not really communicating what I want to say. I think people are hungry and I hope they don't think they need to be or be near someone like Jonathon Phillips to gain a morsel. And I'm sure he would say the same thing! I'm going nowhere here. I'm still thinking about it.

But thanks anyway.

No worries. Perfectly stated. How could I possibly argue?

In case any listeners would like a bit more context to what was discussed, more on Misty's sync-work/focus on (Q)uintessence/Transformers (amongst other subjects) are elucidated in other Sync Book Radio interviews linked below (She's obviously a favorite of ours this year). And of course, as most of you already know, Jonathan/Talat was a guest of Alex's on Skeptiko Ep.209 -- check that one out again for sure:

AR93.jpg

http://thesyncbook.com/alwaysrecord#Ep93

08.23.14 Episode 93: Transform and Roll Out (with Misty Greer)
Misty Greer, of
synchromisty.wordpress.com and mistygreer.com, joins John and Alan to talk about the Olympia Sync Summit, Norway, Apocalypse, Lady Gaga, Transformers, Quintessons, Quintessence, Star Trek's Q, Judgement, Terence McKenna, Machine Elves, Magick Queendom, RedIce and the White Brotherhood, Attempting Communication and Nonjudgmental Criticism, Shades of Grey and the Full Spectrum.

42mins_147.jpg

http://thesyncbook.com/42min101to147#ep147

07.29.14 Episode 147: Misty Greer Synchromisty & The Magic Queendom
Visit: synchromisty.wordpress.com and mistygreer.com
Topics: Superheroes, Reality Sandwich, Intuition, Fashion Design, Burlesque, Performance Art, Sewing, Vancouver, Body & Movement, Sync 42, Transformer, Unimatrix Zero.

upload_2014-11-13_22-59-11.jpeg

Skeptiko Ep.209

Pentamental is a dialogue-based show that elucidates the intersection(s) between synchronicity, science, culture, & psychonautics.

Psychonautics huh? :D I had to look that one up. Apparently it's a term that sums up what I view as genuine science beyond materialism.

Psychonautics (from the Greek ψυχή (psychē "soul/spirit/mind") and ναύτης (naútēs "sailor/navigator")—a sailor of the mind/soul)[1] refers both to a methodology for describing and explaining the subjective effects of altered states of consciousness, including those induced by meditation or mind-altering substances, and to a research paradigm in which the researcher voluntarily immerses himself or herself into an altered state by means of such techniques, as a means to explore human experience and existence

Psychonautics huh? :D I had to look that one up. Apparently it's a term that sums up what I view as genuine science beyond materialism.

I agree completely Saiko; that's why I chose it :) Thank you for taking notice of that. I think that's actually a very big question moving forward. Do we try to change "Science-as-we-Know-It", or do we pull a Buckminster Fuller, learn from our past mistakes/successes, and build the system/framework anew? I think the general topic of psychonautics is a major piece of that puzzle -- at least for me.

[quote="John Maguire, post: 44534, member: 132": We're in the cave, there is no "escape". With that said, "chasing the impossible", and doing one's best to "interface" with what is "beyond the cave", is I think the only way to pursue knowledge.

John[/quote]
Hmmmm . . it is possible to "escape." To be outside the cave while still within it. It does however require a high degree of reorientation. A degree that many at this point may label as lunacy. One facet is that thinking is not part of going outside. Thinking is part of the cave's environment as is the concept of "pursuing knowledge". Inside the cave knowledge is seen as something separate, something to be acquired. Outside the cave it is known - it is an aspect of self and all that one opens to. There are if course many other thinks but those two are strong guards-guides.

Developing the theme of "psychonautics" a little bit more...here is a tremendous presentation (filmed in 2012) from philosopher/psychonaut Neil Kramer on the subject of "Guerilla Psychonautics":

Hmmmm . . it is possible to "escape." To be outside the cave while still within it. It does however require a high degree of reorientation. A degree that many at this point may label as lunacy. One facet is that thinking is not part of going outside. Thinking is part of the cave's environment as is the concept of "pursuing knowledge". Inside the cave knowledge is seen as something separate, something to be acquired. Outside the cave it is known - it is an aspect of self and all that one opens to. There are if course many other thinks but those two are strong guards-guides.

Well stated Saiko. Let me just say a couple things. What we term "escape" is rather subjective, no? With that said, I really don't disagree with your definition of "escape" at all, because it's basically my own (a foot-in-both-worlds sort of thing). But at the same time I don't necessarily think there is a "full escape" beyond death -- and even then if reincarnation/karma factors in, there could be a whole other "level/game" at work, completely beyond comprehension.

I do agree that the reorientation process does require giving in to a certain amount of "illogic" (not a dirty word at all actually), or "lunacy" as you put it. Absolutely!

I don't really understand the "not thinking" part -- when are we not "thinking"? How are we defining "thinking" here? Why wouldn't/couldn't thinking be part of "outside the cave" experience, only the actual experience is different? I'm definitely not saying you're "wrong" (that would be idiotic), but I don't think this so cut-and-dried. "Shades of Gray" my friend. (Perhaps you're speaking more on "thinking with your heart" vs. the "rational brain"?)

Also there is a huge difference, I think, between "pursuing knowledge" and "finding absolute truth/knowledge". One is a path, one is a destination. I think "destinations" are a distraction of "the cave", whereas "path-walking" is more a "process", and I would argue that is exactly what's "outside the cave": Process, change, and creativity.

Thank you so much for engaging in this discussion.

John

I guess another question I have for people who care is: What's up with Auras? Jonathan says he can see them & "manipulate" them. Alex even has a chapter, essentially about this, in his book. I accept their reality (bio-photons alone are pretty much evidence of this "weird spectrum" IMO), but I sometimes wonder what they're "capable of", and how the feedback works between these different densities of energetic manifestation. Are Auras merely a sort of representation of our inner-landscape/archetype, or is it literally an expression/representation/layer of our non-local "higher-self" that perhaps creates/attracts synchronicity & "high weirdness" into our lives? Both? Who knows, but if anyone cares to weigh in...all evidence/opinions welcome (beside rabid/hyper-skeptical please)...

Last edited:
A decent lecture on the subject of bio-photons and its links with consciousness. Funny, 2-3 years ago I could barely find anything on this subject in English (YouTube and/or Print Articles). I was introduced to the topic by the excellent documentary Esoteric Agenda:

Back