Phantom Pilot

He told me categorically that many pilots knew when they were going to killed. He didn't know how but he related the story of one of his friends who never came back from a mission who was inconsolable and in tears before entering the aircraft, claiming I've seen my death, goodbye I will do my duty regardless. These things were well known by all.
I've read of the same thing. It's easy to assume pilots with short life expectancies, under heavy emotion stress and lacking sleep would sometimes make such claims, but there appears to be a real correlation between their certainty of death and the actual event. Some even shared out their belongings among friends, so sure were they their time had come.

Interesting, Gabriel.
Yes, I accept them now. I'm persuaded by the sheer number of the reports and the discernible integrity of the majority.

This is an example that I believe either the pilot Bob must be lying or it must be evidence that something strange happened ? He really doesn't appear to be the kind of man that is prone to making stuff up.

I'm sure there's some way to account for the event under materialist assumptions, though I think assuming it's real is just as if not more valid.

Perhaps there's some disorientation upon being freed from the confines of time? I've heard the transcendental state of flesh-less consciousness described as swimming through "living memory" so it's possible souls end up clutching our material existence in the way a child learning to swim might hug the edge of the pool.

In the article someone posted awhile back Ebert called the world a hoax before he died, and his wife mentioned him talking about time being an illusion. (At least one physicist seems to agree with that, though perhaps not with Ebert's view.)

Anyway, what if trying to move through time and space with much greater freedom is disorienting? Might explain why a few ancient spiritual traditions, including the Eleusinian Mysteries, tried to deal with preparing people for dying?

Back