Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Brian_the_bard

Lost Pilgrim
I heard a little about Pierre Teilhard de Chardin many years ago and thought I would look into this interesting character. All I knew of him until today is that he was a Christian mystic of some kind. It turns out he is a whole lot more than that. I will post links as I find them.

Who Is Pierre Teilhard de Chardin?
"Teilhard de Chardin has two comprehensive works, The Phenomenon of Man, and The Divine Milieu.[8]

His posthumously published book, The Phenomenon of Man, set forth a sweeping account of the unfolding of the cosmos and the evolution of matter to humanity, to ultimately a reunion with Christ. In the book, Teilhard abandoned literal interpretations of creation in the Book of Genesis in favor of allegorical and theological interpretations. The unfolding of the material cosmos, is described from primordial particles to the development of life, human beings and the noosphere, and finally to his vision of the Omega Point in the future, which is "pulling" all creation towards it. He was a leading proponent of orthogenesis, the idea that evolution occurs in a directional, goal-driven way, argued in terms that today go under the banner of convergent evolution."

"In this way, the Pauline description of the Body of Christ is not simply a mystical or ecclesial concept for Teilhard; it is cosmic. This cosmic Body of Christ "extend throughout the universe and compris[es] all things that attain their fulfillment in Christ [so that] . . . the Body of Christ is the one single thing that is being made in creation."[20] Teilhard describes this cosmic amassing of Christ as "Christogenesis." According to Teilhard, the universe is engaged in Christogenesis as it evolves toward its full realization at Omega, a point which coincides with the fully realized Christ.[14] It is at this point that God will be ‘all in all’ (1Cor. 15:28c)."

Teilhard For Beginners
Teilhard Quotes
“We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We are spiritual beings having a human experience.”
Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Last edited:
Ah, Teilhard. Quite an interesting figure - and therefore controversial! Fun fact: the young Richard Dawkins was rather taken by The Phenomenon of Man before later concluding it was bunkum.

Some contemporary figures influenced by Teilhard include Catholic theologian Ilia Delio and mathematician-physicist Frank Tipler.

Ah, Teilhard. Quite an interesting figure - and therefore controversial! Fun fact: the young Richard Dawkins was rather taken by The Phenomenon of Man before later concluding it was bunkum.

Some contemporary figures influenced by Teilhard include Catholic theologian Ilia Delio and mathematician-physicist Frank Tipler.
Interesting. Thanks for the info chotki.

Back