Police captain Bob Snow and reincarnation

Sure, I understand what you're saying now. but that kind of spin placed upon events seemed unnecessarily offbeat, a little like the write-up of "Wizard of Oz" in a TV listing:

"Transported to a surreal landscape, a young girl kills the first person she meets and then teams up with three strangers to kill again."

Getting back on topic, I do think it can be the case that remnants of a previous life can intrude into the current one, leading to issues which may be resolved when the source is recognised. (I say this from personal experience). However such resolution isn't dependent upon talking therapy, or indeed any form of therapy, other than recognising that present-life issues may have roots in an earlier one.

I haven't read the responses yet (but will). First, I want to present another case, one that seems thoroughly fraudulent to me. You can find it here. I can well understand why anyone would be skeptical of this man who claims to be the artist Gauguin reborn. It lacks the detail and type of information characteristic of solved cases, and also suffers from Famous Person Syndrome. That is, the supposed previous personality is so famous that it is hard to imagine any way to discriminate between ambient and paranormal knowledge.

When reading the Teekamp/Gauguin example, I was thinking that the Teekamp person had naively become convinced that he was Gauguin, but then when he "finds" a lost Gauguin charcoal drawing (and fixes a ridiculous value on it), he starts looking more like a swindler. Anyone buying a "lost original" from an artist who specializes in imitating the other artist's work is making a big mistake. It isn't that artists don't collect the work of other artists, many do. What is not that common is to collect work by artists that you also have the habit of copying. Picasso had a lot of paintings by Matisse, but he is not known to have ever copied those paintings. Warhol owned work by a wide variety of other artists, some of which were incorporated into new works by Warhol, but these were significantly altered and not sold as originals by the other artist. Teekamp put a minimum bid of $500k on his "lost Gauguin" entry on eBay, thus showing utter naivete regarding art prices. An original Gauguin charcoal drawing would be worth between $30k-$40k. This naivete can be excused as innocent, but that "innocence" also speaks against his own ability to discriminate the details of his supposed previous life as Gauguin. This assumes that his description of how he "found" the drawing is accurate, rather than it being a forgery he made. If the latter is true, then there is no innocence here, but naive and faulty calculation.

If all Ian Stevenson ever turned up were examples like this Teekamp case, I wouldn't be in the least surprised to discover that his work was not considered credible. However, Teekamp's case doesn't resemble any Stevenson case at all. Teekamp doesn't even claim memories of a previous life, but compares similarities between his physical appearance, the paintings he makes (most likely copies after the original, despite his claim to the contrary), and very unconvincing "coincidences", such as his moving to St. Cloud, Minnesota, while Gauguin moved to St. Cloud, Tahiti.

AP

I do think it can be the case that remnants of a previous life can intrude into the current one, leading to issues which may be resolved when the source is recognised. (I say this from personal experience). However such resolution isn't dependent upon talking therapy, or indeed any form of therapy, other than recognising that present-life issues may have roots in an earlier one.

Recent epigenetic inheritance studies seem to prove that across multiple generations, and it's only what Psychotherapists have been suggesting for years, sometimes known as Ancestor Syndrome.

... and without worrying if there's a book deal at the end of it.:)

On the subject of "book deal", I would like to point out that they typically are not worth much and take a great deal of effort to obtain. There are authors who command amazing advances against sales, like Hillary Clinton ($8M) or Neil Donald Walsch ($1m), but advances are more typically in the range of $3,000-$10,000. That might seem like a lot of money to some people, but consider this: there are a lot of professions that allow its practitioners to earn much more in the time it takes to write a book and then find an agent and publisher. When I worked for Sony as a CG artist, I earned almost exactly $13,000 a month. If my interest was money, there is no way I would have taken six months off, a loss of about $70,000, against the possibility that I would get an advance that was much larger than even established authors. For instance, when Ann Coulter was published by Regnery Press, her advances were $50,000 per book. She became famous after the first one, but could hardly have expected that. Despite her sudden popularity, her advances didn't change until she switched publishers, at which time she was already a proven author. A more extreme example is J.K. Rowling, who earned 1500 GBP for the rights to her first book, Harry Potter. Keep in mind that Rowling and Coulter are successful authors but they were not given huge sums upfront when they sold their first books.

Many authors are paid nothing or close to nothing and then earn about the same in royalties because their books don't sell very well. I once knew a Jewish publisher who had a captive audience (he was a charismatic lecturer) who told me that selling 10,000 books was extremely good for him. I have read elsewhere that other publishers feel the same way, even big publishers. What this means is that most books do not sell 10,000 copies. Actually, most don't sell 5,000 copies either. Three thousand copies is the break even point for many publishers, so when they take on a book, they are usually trying to beat that number and think they have a fair chance of doing it. Five thousand copies is a reasonable but not extreme profit, and ten thousand copies is a respectable profit. How much money does an author earn who is consistently able to sell 10,000 units of their books? If they self-published, had no middlemen and no printing or distribution costs, a fifteen dollar trade paperback would yield $150,000. Not a fortune, but a respectable income if it could be earned every year of one's life. However, there are costs: printing, distribution, advertising, website maintenance, travel for promotion, and other expenses. This would easily cut the value down to about $100,000. This is still respectable but it is also very unusual for a self-published book to generate this kind of income. If this is published by an established firm, they will have spent $75,000 on the book, taken at least half of the remainder as a fee for publishing, and left the author with about $35,000 in earnings. This is what someone can expect if things go well, by publishing industry standards. $35k is less than a manager at a fast food restaurant makes (I know, because I have a relative who had such a job).

But then there is Neal Donald Walsch who was paid a very high sum for his first book (according to his biopic). This is a highly unusual situation and cannot be expected. In general, paranormal subjects do not sell well. There are exceptions, like Eben Alexander's book, Pim van Lommel, Shirley MacLaine, and Jane Roberts, but these are all exceptions. Also, there is a huge difference in sales between research-based books (van Lommel and Alexander) and New Age (MacLaine and Roberts.) New Age books, when successful, can be much more successful than research-oriented books. Walsch's book, in my opinion, is more fairly compared to Dianetics, by L. Ron Hubbard, than anything in the New Age category.

Book publishing is far from a sure thing (I still haven't earned any money at all from "Dreamer", and royalties on my computer graphics books remain modest), but that doesn't mean that some people are too naive to know this. Perhaps, like thieves who steal famous paintings then discover they cannot be sold because they are too famous, there are swindlers who make up phony reincarnation stories in the hopes of getting a fat book deal like Hillary Clinton. It is highly unrealistic, but maybe they try anyway. Elsewhere in this thread I posted a link to a story about someone who I think may be naive in this way, and is trying to capitalize on an untrue reincarnation story. Bob Snow does not strike me as being naive in that way. A man who is going to go to the trouble of listing every book he reads, every gallery he visits, is not going to be naive about the value of things. After spending years of his life tracking down some information that appears related to a past life reading, is he then going to naively imagine that fortune is only a book away? Also consider that he had already spent years tracking down the information. That investment is something he cannot have initially expected to make, nor would he have had any way to recoup it. He wanted to be an author and had written a dozen books about police work. Who are his publishers? Praeger, DeCapo, Plenum, Daybreak, Rowman & Littlefield, and Berkley. These are not publishers who are famous for the huge advances they have paid out, and only two (Praeger and Berkley) are semi-well known. His book about his search for Carroll Beckwith was not his first published book but his fifth. There is no way he was naive about publishing and what he could expect to earn from it. My book "Dreamer" is ranked on Amazon higher than several of his books, leading me to think it is likely he isn't earning much more than I did. Maybe he thought his book about Beckwith would bring him fame and fortune, but it is a highly implausible theory given the following:

1) Snow had a publishing history of five previous books, none of which were best sellers
2) Snow's publishers were not top tier publishers and he must have known this
3) Snow's personality clearly drives him to uncover facts and assumes that it takes effort to verify them

AP

Another point about the detective's credibility is that he didn't find the picture of the hunchback lady (has it since been located? I don't know). If he'd been out to scam people, he'd probably have wanted to base the scam around something that could actually be seen and verified. And also, of course, because publishing his book about the episode might threaten his existing publishing career (which actually seems to have been the case), as well as his standing as a detective, I find it hard to attribute a scurrilous motive, so it's very hard to impeach his sincerity. Moreover, he wasn't interested in the spiritual implications, so wasn't out to create a new career as an evangelist or guru. Coming out about his experiences only seems to have had negative potential for him, so why do it except for a genuine desire to get it on the record?

Follow this link to see the painting. I would like to point out that in my own experience studying art history, hunchbacks are extremely unusual subjects. I know of two painted by Picasso ("Celestine" and another of an unnamed beggar, both blue period pieces) and no others unless illustrations of the Hunchback of Notre Dame are counted. The fact that he managed to actually find the painting before the Internet is amazing to me, though I would have been even more amazed if he'd found the still life, because it is such a common subject that he would have had millions to sort through. Of some interest is that he did not select one of the many still lives he would have run across as "the one". This is because still lives can be so repetitively similar that they can look alike. I have seen a few dozen Cezanne still life paintings in person but would have a very hard time determining where I saw each of them because they are all so much alike. It would have been very easy to find a nineteenth century still life, even by an obscure American artist and claim he'd found the painting. He didn't do that. Instead, he rejected all of the thousands of still lives he must have examined.

AP

I can well understand why anyone would be skeptical of this man who claims to be the artist Gauguin reborn.
I'd previously looked at that case. I'm reasonably familiar with Gauguin's work, and thought most of the paintings produced by Teekamp "inspired by" the work of Gauguin to be of a very indifferent quality, and were unconvincing to me. As for the purported original sketch discovered by Teekamp, I thought at least superficially it looked as though it could have been genuine, at least stylistically. What to make of the drawings or sketches supposedly produced when Teekamp was younger, I'm not sure. but overall I thought this one of the weaker and most suspicious cases I'd come across.

I don't think much of super-psi. Can it explain all of the phenomena for which psychical research has developed a large body of empirical evidence? Only at the expense of becoming incredibly convoluted and complicated, with the unconscious mind assuming virtually godlike powers of deception and psychic abilities. With mediumistic communications, the medium’s unconscious mind would supposedly be able to extract information telepathically from living minds and clairvoyantly from things located anywhere in the world and also in the past and future, integrate all this into a consistent whole, and present it in the guise of the appropriate discarnate personality. While also deceiving the conscious mind of the medium. The unconscious mind would have to be able to create the various cases of proxy sitters, drop-in communicators, the cross-correspondences, and the like. Further, the unconscious minds of ordinary people (not just gifted mediums) would have to be able to execute other incredible deceptions, including death-bed visions, at-death appearances, apparitions, NDEs, shared-death experiences, children who remember past lives, and more.

With super-psi there would have to be a worldwide conspiracy of the unconscious minds of the population, all trying to fool us into thinking that survival is real. Of course this can't logically be ruled out; it is ultimately possible that in any area things are not what they seem. Maybe I'm not really writing this post. It is interesting that even in principle super-psi can't be falsified, since an entity with virtually unlimited powers of deception can by definition be responsible for any evidence apparently against it. By the way there is no independent evidence for "living agent psi" of such magnitude.

The survival hypothesis provides a single simple explanation for this diverse array of phenomena.

I'm quite keen on super-psi because I'm an idealist, i.e. I favour the idea that all that exists is mind, and, in the end, there is only one mind (Source Consciousness, SC). Each of us is a localised manifestation of SC whereby it views itself from different, limited perspectives. The "collective unconscious" is that part of SC which is not normally perceptible from a localised perspective, but may become more perceptible in certain states of mind. From the perspective of SC, the collective unconscious isn't unconscious. It's aware of everything that ever was and is. Some might say of everything that will be, but personally I'm not so sure about that: my sense is of a playful entity that may be experimenting with its potential to manifest. It might know what is possible without it having been fully determined.

When it comes to the survival of an aspect of localised perspective, i.e. of soul or essence, I tend to believe it does survive, and that reincarnation is possible. I don't think either Idealism or super-psi are incompatible with that. However, I believe ego does actually die as an active agent (if not a memory), and when it does, there is more access to SC by essence, including that part that by and large we aren't currently aware of. We may get glimpses of it in certain states of mind when we're more aligned with essence than usual, but because we are still alive, it is filtered through ego, which may place varying interpretations on it (it's contact with the dead or spirit guides, it's telepathy, clairvoyance or precognition and so on). I suspect that psi may give some access to SC memory and maybe future possibilities that it has in mind.

I think that this kind of notion is also compatible with Sheldrake's hypothesis of Morphic Resonance. The memory of SC may constitute feedback upon which "it makes its decisions", so to speak, which influence the direction of evolution, both organic and spiritual. Notice that in all this I'm not denying that phenomena exist that we call mediumship, telepathy, clairvoyance and what have you: I'm only thinking in terms of a framework within in which all these can be unified. I don't say my ideas are completely firmed up, only that I'm currently favouring this approach. It goes without saying that I may be wrong, but we're here to discuss ideas, and these are mine; make of them what you will! :)

Last edited:
However, I believe ego does actually die as an active agent (if not a memory), and when it does, there is more access to SC by essence, including that part that by and large we aren't currently aware of.

An apparition of a deceased showing an unknown message to a living witness and the drop-in mediumistic communications are examples of the deceased are still active agents, so I am not convinced with your hypothesis.

Notice that in all this I'm not denying that phenomena exist that we call mediumship, telepathy, clairvoyance and what have you: I'm only thinking in terms of a framework within in which all these can be unified.

Idealism can be right at the bottom, but it is too general to be useful to science. I prefer to consider that during the evolution a sub-quantum field has been associated with the biological beings, causes the psychic phenomena and being a vehicle for the mind after organic death.

Last edited:
With mediumistic communications, the medium’s unconscious mind would supposedly be able to extract information telepathically from living minds and clairvoyantly from things located anywhere in the world and also in the past and future, integrate all this into a consistent whole, and present it in the guise of the appropriate discarnate personality. While also deceiving the conscious mind of the medium. The unconscious mind would have to be able to create the various cases of proxy sitters, drop-in communicators, the cross-correspondences, and the like.
Exactly.
On top of that we also need to completely disregard the medium's description of how their connection and actual communication works.
They clearly see it and "operate it" as a telepathic conversation with a deceased soul: they often times can see a physical appearance, sense their feelings and personality, interact with them. But no this is all an illusion built in realtime by the mind to create a convenient narrative that doesn't really exist. In actuality the medium's god-like mind is astutely gathering bits and pieces of information from multiple people at any distance and completing the picture via the Akashic record, knowing exactly which shelves to look for, which book, what chapter and which pages :D

In essence "super psi" is like materialism++
We add an akashic field to explain all of the "strange stuff" and that's it. Consciousness can still be emergent and caused by inexplicable electrical processes, and voilà. It's a neat philosophical trick... indeed. :)

Last edited:
I'm quite keen on super-psi because I'm an idealist, i.e. I favour the idea that all that exists is mind,
But wouldn't be a mind an active agent?
If so couldn't it be interacting with a living's mind?

If so, super-psi is not very different from regular psi...

Has anybody got a link to a good study on mediums which they feel is really difficult to explain other than by invoking an afterlife?

- C. J. Ducasse, "A Critical Examination of the Belief in a Life After Death" 1961, Chapters 18 and 19, at
http://www.survivalafterdeath.info/books/ducasse/critical/18.htm ;
http://www.survivalafterdeath.info/books/ducasse/critical/19.htm

- The case of Runki's Leg (drop-in communicator) at
http://www.survivalafterdeath.info/articles/braude/drop-in.htm (sections 4 & 5)

- "Resurrecting Leonora Piper: How Science Discovered the Afterlife" by Michael Tymn ;http://www.amazon.com/Resurrecting-Leonora-Piper-Discovered-Afterlife/dp/1908733721

Last edited:
C. J. Ducasse, "A Critical Examination of the Belief in a Life After Death" 1961, Chapters 18 and 19, at
http://www.survivalafterdeath.info/books/ducasse/critical/18.htm ;
http://www.survivalafterdeath.info/books/ducasse/critical/19.htm

"Resurrecting Leonora Piper: How Science Discovered the Afterlife" by Michael Tymn ;http://www.amazon.com/Resurrecting-Leonora-Piper-Discovered-Afterlife/dp/1908733721
Hmm, not that I know of. The problem with mediumship is that all the info could come from the client. The only thing I can possibly think of is the frontiers study, but it's only one paper.

http://journal.frontiersin.org/Journal/10.3389/fpsyg.2013.00834/abstract

If you've seen this already then my grovelling apologies. :eek:

Thanks for both of these.

I found a recent paper from 2011 by Erlendur Haraldsson entitled A PERFECT CASE? "EMIL JENSEN IN THE MEDIUMSHIP OF INDRIDI INDRIDASON, THE FIRE IN COPENHAGEN ON NOVEMBER 24TH 1905 AND THE DISCOVERY OF JENSEN’S IDENTITY."

https://notendur.hi.is/~erlendur/english/mediums/Perfect case.pdf

Exactly.
On top of that we also need to completely disregard the medium's description of how their connection and actual communication works.

I don't agree. I'm not questioning that what is called "mediumship" exists, or the sincerity of mediums, and don't completely disregard how they explain it. Nor do I say that the information they come up with isn't veridical.

They clearly see it and "operate it" as a telepathic conversation with a deceased soul: they often times can see a physical appearance, sense their feelings and personality, interact with them. But no this is all an illusion built in realtime by the mind to create a convenient narrative that doesn't really exist. In actuality the medium's god-like mind is astutely gathering bits and pieces of information from multiple people at any distance and completing the picture via the Akashic record, knowing exactly which shelves to look for, which book, what chapter and which pages :D

It could be a question of resonance. The medium formulates an intention, and is able to resonate with relevant information.

In essence "super psi" is like materialism++
We add an akashic field to explain all of the "strange stuff" and that's it. Consciousness can still be emergent and caused by inexplicable electrical processes, and voilà. It's a neat philosophical trick... indeed. :)

Come now. I'm very far from a materialist and don't believe consciousness is emergent or caused by "electrical processes". I believe there's nothing but consciousness and that it is primal. What we call "material" consists of lawful, regular and sharable processes going on in SC that look to us like what we think of as the material. The brain is the image of the process of consciousness. We can all perceive it as it appears in scans in a live person, or as a specimen preserved in a jar. It really exists, but isn't what it seems. If matter appears so concrete to us and yet isn't in actuality concrete, why couldn't similar logic apply to what the medium perceives?

I'm implying that in the mediumistic state of mind, a process may be occurring (a composite of the psyche of the medium and the information accessed) whose image is interpreted as a discarnate entity which is still in a sense alive and wanting to make contact. I'm not saying that the information the medium is accessing isn't actually associated with the dead person and may reveal something that the sitter wasn't previously aware of: the information is all out there and some people may have special talents in resonating with it.

I find it hard to accept that what I believe truly exists, the soul or essence of the deceased--complete with their intact egoic structure--is concerned about contacting the living. If their egoic structure still existed, they wouldn't be deceased, because the body is, I believe, the image of the process of the egoic structure. If mediums get impressions about what the deceased was physically like, well, that information is out there, too.

..............I'm implying that in the mediumistic state of mind, a process may be occurring (a composite of the psyche of the medium and the information accessed) whose image is interpreted as a discarnate entity which is still in a sense alive and wanting to make contact. I'm not saying that the information the medium is accessing isn't actually associated with the dead person and may reveal something that the sitter wasn't previously aware of: the information is all out there and some people may have special talents in resonating with it.

I find it hard to accept that what I believe truly exists, the soul or essence of the deceased--complete with their intact egoic structure--is concerned about contacting the living. If their egoic structure still existed, they wouldn't be deceased, because the body is, I believe, the image of the process of the egoic structure. If mediums get impressions about what the deceased was physically like, well, that information is out there, too.

By far the simplest and most economical interpretation of the best mediumistic communication evidence is that at least for a time the full personality, memories and "egoic structure" of the deceased continues to persist, and sometimes is anxious to communicate. Other phenomena also strongly give this impression, such as apparitions. Then there are NDEers, who inherently must still have had an ego while out of the physical body (since some sort of "I" is reported as thinking, feeling, and willing during the experience). If something looks exactly like a duck, and quacks, waddles, swims, and flies away when approached exactly like a duck, it probably is really a duck. Maybe it is something else, but we have to have some strong independent evidence.

Consider one of the best drop-in cases - the I think fascinating one of Runki's Leg. This summary is from http://www.aeces.info/Top40/Cases_26-50/case42_Icelandic-leg-hunting.pdf. It was investigated by Erlendur Haraldsson and Ian Stevenson and published in the Journal of the ASPR.

One of the best-known, and especially irritating, drop-in discarnates simply popped in one evening, in 1937, at a seance gathering in Reykjavik, Iceland. The tone for the communications was set straightaway when the spirit, upon being asked his name, replied: “What the hell does it matter to you what my name is?” Only slightly taken aback, someone in the circle asked what the gentleman wanted. “My leg,” he said, “I am looking for my leg.” He then said that his leg was in the sea.

This is pretty much all the information the spirit was willing to part with, although he kept dropping in on the séances for the ensuing 15 months. At that point, he added that his leg was currently in a house owned by a sitter, Ludvik G., who had just joined the group; but he still refused to give his name.

The medium for these sessions was Hafsteinn Bjornsson, probably the most famous in
Iceland at the time. Bjornsson was a trance medium who was apparently “possessed” by various spirits during the séances. His drinking was confined to a rare glass of wine, he did not use tobacco, and was always a congenial fellow; except, that is, when “the pest” took over. Then he would brusquely demand alcohol, coffee, and snuff.

Finally, the circle had enough of this spirit’s rude intrusions and told him to either reveal
his name or cease making contact. This ultimatum seemed to shut him up for awhile, but he apparently decided that revelation was better than isolation because he soon returned to tell his tale of dissolution and woe.

His name, he revealed, was Runolfur Runolfsson. Generally known as Runki (a nickname for which we can all be grateful). One October evening in 1879, when he was 52 years old and quite drunk, Runki was walking through stormy weather from a nearby town towards his home. He paused beside the seashore to rest — and take another sip from his flask. Sitting down upon a large rock, Runki proceeded to pass out. His body slid from the rock and was carried away by the tide. The following January, according to Runki’s spirit, his body washed ashore, and dogs and ravens then tore it to pieces. The remnants were recovered and buried in a graveyard, about four miles from his home, but a thigh bone was missing from Runki's remains. It was later washed onshore and, after being passed around for a while, it ended up in Ludvik's house.

Runki claimed that his story could be confirmed by checking the books at a nearby
church. There, the sitters did find the record of someone named Runolfur Runolfsson, whose date of death and age at the time of death matched the story told by the spirit. Furthermore, other records of the man were found, including a clergyman’s description of Runolfsson having gone missing during a storm on his way home and his dismembered bones being found later.

As for the missing leg bone, a few elderly locals recalled vaguely that during the early
1920s a thigh bone had been washed up on shore. Thinking it would be disrespectful to throw it away and improper to bury it on hallowed ground, it had been passed around until a carpenter built it into the wall of the house that Ludvik G. would someday purchase.

After an unsuccessful initial search by the sitters, a person who had lived in the house at the time pointed out the correct wall and the femur of an adult male was, indeed, found behind it. Once his “leg” was located and properly buried, Runki's spirit mellowed considerably and often assisted the group during future seances.

How do we know this guy is not lying?

1. It was at a UFO convention, which makes it difficult to take serious.
2. We do not have access to the original tapes
3. We don't know when the tapes (if they exist) were recorded

This whole case is based on us taking what he says at face value. We have to accept that those 28 or so indicators about his past life were things that were told to him before he started researching the case, and not 28 things that he took from his research to make his story credible.

I would believe this case if those questions were answered for me.

Well I read The Fire In Copenhagen drop in sitting of 24th November 1905 investigated by Erlendur Haraldsson and published in the SPR:

https://notendur.hi.is/~erlendur/english/mediums/Perfect case.pdf

The whole case hangs on Telegraphy not being available in Iceland at the time, and Elendur claims it was not available until 1918. So the first thing I did last night was check back through some newspaper archives to confirm these dates. Where upon I found evidence that Cable Telegraphy actually became available very shortly after this sitting, around just 9 months later:

-------------------------------
Saturday 25th August 1906
Dundee Courier

ICELAND FAROE ISLANDS CABLE.
Copenhagen, Friday.

The telegraph cable between Iceland and the Faroe Islands will be opened for public traffic on the 27th - Reuter.

My alarm bells went off, with how close these dates were, so I did more digging...

Monday 19 June 1905
Dundee Courier

MARCONIGRAMS TO ICELAND.
Copenhagen, Sunday.

The Marconi Company of London has sent a number of workmen to Iceland to construct a wireless telegraphy receiving station at Reykjavik, thus forestalling The Great Northern Telegraph Company's cable. When the Icelandic Parliament assembles on 1st July, it will receive the first Marconigram despatched from the north-western coast of Scotland. - Morning Leader

From 1902-1905 it seems there was a major battle between The Great Northern Cable Company of Britain, and Marconi to provide telegraphic communications between Copenhagen and Iceland. Marconi were offering a much cheaper wireless telegraphy system, vs the British company's traditional fixed cable offering.

I won't bore you with the details, but Marconi built a Wireless Telegraphy receiving station at Reykjavik in 1905. It's very likely that leading Experimental Society Member 'Björn Jonsson' as newspaper editor ( and later Prime Minister of Iceland ) had access to information from this Marconi station by the time of the sitting. A fixed Telegraphy cable was also eventually installed, and was opened to public traffic on 27th August 1906.

In my opinion the star medium Indridi Indridason is almost certainly a fraud, and Erlendur Haraldsson's paper has some serious problems.

By far the simplest and most economical interpretation of the best mediumistic communication evidence is that at least for a time the full personality, memories and "egoic structure" of the deceased continues to persist, and sometimes is anxious to communicate. Other phenomena also strongly give this impression, such as apparitions.

If mediumistic communication were the only paranormal phenomenon we knew of, you might have a point. But it isn't; there are many more, and we could equally well say that for each the most parsimonious explanation is to take it at face value. In that way, we multiply entities, with no obvious common link between them.

Then there are NDEers, who inherently must still have had an ego while out of the physical body (since some sort of "I" is reported as thinking, feeling, and willing during the experience). If something looks exactly like a duck, and quacks, waddles, swims, and flies away when approached exactly like a duck, it probably is really a duck. Maybe it is something else, but we have to have some strong independent evidence.

It must be noted that NDEers haven't gone beyond the point of recovery or resuscitation. My view is that their egoic structure still remains to some degree intact. That could be why they still walk, talk and quack like ducks, because they still are ducks, or put more precisely, still have an egoic structure, albeit one that has become more permeable to aspects of SC. I don't need to produce evidence that they aren't ducks, because I'm agreeing with you that that's what they actually are.

Consider one of the best drop-in cases - the I think fascinating one of Runki's Leg. This summary is from http://www.aeces.info/Top40/Cases_26-50/case42_Icelandic-leg-hunting.pdf. It was investigated by Erlendur Haraldsson and Ian Stevenson and published in the Journal of the ASPR.

A fascinating case. But in what way does it disprove my hypothesis? Is it because you are taking at face value the notion that Runki, after he had died, knew he had had his leg removed by wild animals? And, that knowing that, he had manifested in a seance session looking for it?

If so, that's the narrative you prefer. The narrative I prefer is that Runki knew things about himself before he died, and others knew about the fact that the body was missing a leg, had been buried without it, and that it had been found and encased in a wall. I'm not questioning for purposes of my argument that the information was veridical, as apparently confirmed by the later discovery of the leg. I'm not anti-psi, right?

A group of people gather at a seance, and the medium picks up on information about Runki. Some of that comes from Runki's memories, and some from other people who knew of the incident. The medium and the other attendees all interpret that as Runki, being a discarnate entity still with an egoic structure, turning up to enquire about his leg. That's the predicate of seances: that discarnate entities, complete with an egoic structure or personality as it was in life, still exist and may be concerned about a leg that they don't currently possess because, as it turns out, until it is buried along with the body, the entity can't be reunited with it.

That kind of ties in with the notion of astral bodies. What then of people who are blown to bits in explosions, and little if any of their bodies recovered? Do their astral bodies exist, or are those as dispersed as their earthly remains? Don't they come back and ask where their whole bodies are, or can't they do that because their astral bodies are also destroyed? My guess is that mediums would say, if asked in so many words, that destroying the earthly body wouldn't destroy the astral body. But if so, why would Runki have come back to retrieve his leg? It just doesn't hang together as a coherent narrative a discarnate entity with an intact personality would be concerned about. However, one can more easily imagine it being a narrative constructed in the mind of the medium.

Last edited:
Back