Mod+ POLL: Who here, believes they have had an NDE or STE?

I believe I have had a...

• I'm not sure.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'd rather not say.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Simple multiple choice poll... select as many options as apply.

Who here, believes they have had a Near Death Experience (NDE) with or without an Out of Body Experience (OBE) component, or, a Spiritually Transformative Experience (STE) ?

Note: regarding the NDE, you can have a look at the 'Greyson NDE Scale' if you're not sure and need some prompts to help you decide, but that doesn't mean you need to get a score of 7 or more using the 'Greyson NDE Scale'. I'm only interested in whether you believe you've had an NDE or STE.

Hmm, the qualifier "I believe" is rather odd. A bit like saying, "I believe I went to a concert", or "I believe I took a trip overseas". It seems to cast doubt on the topic before it is even begun.

There is no hidden agenda in my use of the term 'believe'. I simply used it to mean something that you accept to be true.

My apologies for being picky. I don't mean to imply that there is anything devious or underhand here. Simply, if you ask me, "did you have lunch today?", I would answer "yes" or "no". If I said, "I believe I had lunch" it carries a tone of uncertainty, and similarly the the options in the poll seem all tinged with that same uncertainty.

But to be fair to others, I often find issues with polls, so please feel free to consider, "Oh, there goes Typoz kicking up a fuss again". :)

Hmm, the qualifier "I believe" is rather odd. A bit like saying, "I believe I went to a concert", or "I believe I took a trip overseas". It seems to cast doubt on the topic before it is even begun.
I agree 100%. In fact AFAIK that qualifier makes this more of a debate than a [Mod+] thread.

My apologies for being picky. I don't mean to imply that there is anything devious or underhand here. Simply, if you ask me, "did you have lunch today?", I would answer "yes" or "no". If I said, "I believe I had lunch" it carries a tone of uncertainty, and similarly the the options in the poll seem all tinged with that same uncertainty.

But to be fair to others, I often find issues with polls, so please feel free to consider, "Oh, there goes Typoz kicking up a fuss again". :)
Yeah no problem, that old saying which goes something like "you can't please all the people all of the time" springs to mind when designing a POLL, something I've particularly noticed on here.

However, I wonder if the term 'believe' (believer, belief etc.) might have become contaminated (for want of a better word) by your exposure to debates on here, and elsewhere, where the term is quite often used to polarise positions in arguments in an unhelpful way. You know what I mean... err... Believer/Denier, or Believer/Skeptic type positions.

Yeah no problem, that old saying which goes something like "you can't please all the people all of the time" springs to mind when designing a POLL, something I've particularly noticed on here.

However, I wonder if the term 'believe' (believer, belief etc.) might have become contaminated (for want of a better word) by your exposure to debates on here, and elsewhere, where the term is quite often used to polarise positions in arguments in an unhelpful way. You know what I mean... err... Believer/Denier, or Believer/Skeptic type positions.
I think definitely the use of the term on these forums affects my interpretation. It can carry a connotation of believing in something regardless of the facts. But still, as in the more mundane examples I gave, it seems more verbose than necessary (at least for me). But I'll leave it at that, no problem.

At the age of 14 I had severe jaundice and a dangerously high temperature, 107 degrees f. I became delirious and my parents attempted to cool me down with cold flannels. As they did so I insisted "my brains are in the ceiling" and that I was not in my body. They became unnerved by this and called a doctor, and my mother always remembered the incident with alarm. It wasn't an NDE but I think it was a borderline OBE and recall being on some kind of brink and being very peaceful afterwards.

Not very conclusive as such anecdotes go, but important personally.

On the subject of the "Spiritually Transformative Experience", perhaps there is an expectation of something which occurs through some sort of mystical or altered state of consciousness, of probably a brief duration occurring at some specific point in time.

However, when I read some of the accounts of the aftermath of an NDE where a person no longer fits the role of their former life and finds it necessary to start afresh, perhaps this is something which many people can relate to, certainly I can. But there was no specific experience which can be pointed to, other than contact over an extended period of time, with a different social group.

It wasn't an NDE but I think it was a borderline OBE and recall being on some kind of brink and being very peaceful afterwards.

Not very conclusive as such anecdotes go, but important personally.
This sounds extremely plausible to me, just as you believe. Thank you for relating it.

I was in hospital when I was young with pneumonia .

I have always remembered two events . one was looking down at myself , and the other beds - from the ceiling.

another time the nurse gave me an injection, which I must have reacted badly to - in an instant I was behind the nurse looking at my body from over her shoulder.
it quite literally made me jump out of my skin.
around 1963

I have put down a STE but it lies somewhere in the Kundalini Awakening / shamanic initiation cluster. The experience encompassed spiritual invasion, four days an occupied land with energy torrents rising through my body, an experience of a force hitting me like a bolt of lightning which grabbed hold of what was in me, a prolonged tug of war leading to an expulsion with repeated vomiting of energy. Following on, a state of trance where I experienced being an open portal and rebirth, could draw energies from the room, drew energies from people while a dream state, experienced skipping time and seeing inside people . Two weeks spent fighting to come back. Left in a completely weakened state unable to carry a can of beans from cupboard to bench. Intense psychic access and the beginning of clairsentience. Accompanied by access to understanding related to healing in my paradigm and the sense of being guided. Spoke to spirits and had my body taken over when a spirit spoke through me (witnessed). Had a triangle of light above my head visible to others. I could communicate non verbally with animals and trees. I went on to experience the world of intense beauty and unity where I felt profound peace. I came out a different person with the ability to do things I couldn't do before (in healing) but with greater fragility. For the record I've never had a mental health issue. I make no claim to enlightenment. My husband describes it as "like a death". To me it was a revelation and one I am eternally grateful for.

Last edited:
I was in hospital when I was young with pneumonia .

I have always remembered two events . one was looking down at myself , and the other beds - from the ceiling.

another time the nurse gave me an injection, which I must have reacted badly to - in an instant I was behind the nurse looking at my body from over her shoulder.
it quite literally made me jump out of my skin.
around 1963
Thanks for that, can you estimate your age at the time of both events?

I have put down a STE but it lies somewhere in the Kundalini Awakening / shamanic initiation cluster. I'll summarise...
Sounds like a very spiritual and transformative experience to me... thank you for sharing it. If I can ask a question... You mention 4 days, and you mention 2 weeks in your summary. How would you best describe your experience... Is this one experience that appeared to last 2 weeks, but which actually took place over one short period of time? or, is it several experiences which took place over an actual 2 week period in your life? or something else?

Sounds like a very spiritual and transformative experience to me... thank you for sharing it. If I can ask a question... You mention 4 days, and you mention 2 weeks in your summary. How would you best describe your experience... Is this one experience that appeared to last 2 weeks, but which actually took place over one short period of time? or, is it several experiences which took place over an actual 2 week period in your life? or something else?
It was one experience with different phases. It lasted from August 25, 2010 (a full moon) where I saw a film which had a hypnotic effect on me and set a process in motion. The main event happened September 9, 2011 (a full moon). There were four days of "invasion" (this is part of kundalini syndrome). The following Tuesday I had the experience of rescue which left me in a trance. I experiencing rebirth which brought me back into the world and I then spent two weeks fighting to get (slightly) grounded. This was a state where I felt the spirit of the world as a oneness and my senses were hyperacute. My mental ability was completely incapacitated - couldn't plan, reason, think etc. The state of utter weakness was at the end of this two weeks. The change of state continued after that - acting as a beacon, having an energy field which impacted on others, psychic events etc but I was able to participate in the world more. About six months later I became more grounded and the empathic experiences diminished. Those have returned this year along with kundlaini symptoms but I seem to be able to control it better. Part of this is experiencing different states of consciousness.

I'm not sure if this answers the question - the experience has never really ended and I've never returned to how I used to be. Sometimes my husband misses the person I used to be. I think this happens quite a lot with these types of experiences.

P.S. I felt the whole time like I was reading from a script that was written for me.

Last edited:
It was one experience with different phases. It lasted from August 25, 2010 (a full moon) where I saw a film which had a hypnotic effect on me and set a process in motion. The main event happened September 9, 2011
Thanks Jules, can you mention the film that was your catalyst?

Hi Max. What the particular film was is not of relevance to the story from the readers point of view. What matters is that it triggered a sense of yearning and in so doing took me away from my thoughts to a deeper place in myself. And that began a process of change. I'm not being evasive; its a long a complex set of events and the words to explain things often just don't exist. I don't mind you asking though and I'll do my best to answer.

Hi Max. What the particular film was is not of relevance to the story from the readers point of view. What matters is that it triggered a sense of yearning and in so doing took me away from my thoughts to a deeper place in myself. And that began a process of change. I'm not being evasive; its a long a complex set of events and the words to explain things often just don't exist. I don't mind you asking though and I'll do my best to answer.
No problem...

I should add that earlier in 2010 I began an diet and exercise programme - by September 2011 this had been ongoing for 18 months. I lost over 40% of my body weight and my resting heart rate was around 50 b.p.m. There is a known relationship between fasting and physical endurance events with spiritual enhancement. I wasn't aware of this at the time.

Starting in May of 2013 a period started where I've been compelled to study NDEs almost obsessively. This has happened to me a couple of times in my life and have come to learn these are spiritual shifts. It feels like
an anxiety, fear coming over me that can only be controlled by studying NDEs.
During this time it seems I've had several spiritual experiences the most
important of which is described below.

June 28 1130 0245 June 29

It was a normal evening up to about 11:30. Then when I went to turn in and
lay down in bed I suddenly found I couldn¹t. I was suddenly very agitated.
Just couldn’t lie down. Felt energy around the back of my neck, heart, and
stomach area. Agitation, anxiety, fear. Started my affirmations, only Love
is real, I am safe, I am loved, I can do nothing wrong. Paced around
downstairs for a time. But no relief. Tried lying down several times but
couldn¹t. Finally decided to walk around the block outside. Walked around
neighborhood for 3 hrs. in an agitated manner. Several cars went by with
neighbors probably wondering what I was doing out there that time of night.
Tried coming in to lay down a couple of times but it didn’t work. My last
lap most agitated with arms flailing, head jerking.
There was a high frequency energy build up around and
above, not inside back of my neck. Though I¹d been praying and trying to
send out healing energy throughout this time finally said out loud “God
you’re really hard to get hold of some times. Could use some help.”
I few minutes later I stopped in the drive way facing the house and bent
over slightly to put my hands on my knees. Suddenly and very unexpectedly I
heard very powerful low musical tone or “Om” just like I’d hear anything else. Could actually hear a crackle or static associated with it. After that I felt a high density motion of energy almost like a rug was being rippled across my shoulders. This
energy then shot forward over my head neck and shoulders area to a narrow
point in front and above me. Not electrical, kind of warm and comfortable.
I straightened out and instantly felt relaxed. Some type of energetic
discharge. This was around 0245. After this I could finally lie down and as I closed my eyes I noticed rapid scenes of people, places, flash through my consciousness.

This was certainly the most profound experience of my life and certainly not
something explainable by science.

Though the whole experience was some what stressful I feel privileged to have been touched in this way.