Pseudoscience

S

Sciborg_S_Patel

I think the term "pseudoscience" is inappropriately applied to topics like Psi & NDEs when it should be applied to methodology.

How good are the controls? Do all the conclusions follow from the results? And so on.

I agree, Typoz. The study of a common, complex and life changing experience, that happens to all ages and cultures is excellent science. It must be investigated and not avoided just because of the prejudice around what the implications are.

Nelson and Novella know perfectly well what it means, in my opinion. To give an example in the recent nour foundation debate with Parnia etc Nelson said (referring to Mary Neale's ideas) ..."that's a matter of faith, it's not science". But wait, this doesn't make sense...he's leaving the door open to survival based
on faith. So we can't draw any conclusions from OBE's during cardiac arrest about survival ??? It's total nonsense and it shows you what lengths they are prepared to go to ...to hold back the paradigm buster.

If anyone wants any real good evidence of survival, go to Gerry Woerlee's website. Every really strong NDE/OBE is discussed there. If they weren't excellent cases, Gerry wouldn't be the slightest bit interested in them. He knows what they are and doesn't seem to realise that his fascination with them gives the game away.

Things that rock the boat of society seem to be met with scoffing and ridicule, not always necessarily in the world of science. Though one example of a breakthrough which would've been heavily scoffed at was aircraft, I'm sure it was seen as a "childish fantasy" and "pseudoscience"

S

Sciborg_S_Patel

Things that rock the boat of society seem to be met with scoffing and ridicule, not always necessarily in the world of science. Though one example of a breakthrough which would've been heavily scoffed at was aircraft, I'm sure it was seen as a "childish fantasy" and "pseudoscience"
Yup:

"It is apparent to me that the possibilities of the aeroplane, which two or three years ago were thought to hold the solution to the [flying machine] problem, have been exhausted, and that we must turn elsewhere."
- Thomas Edison, 1895

"Such startling announcements as these should be deprecated as being unworthy of science and mischievous to to its true progress."
- Sir William Siemens, 1880, on Edison's announcement of a successful light bulb.

"We are probably nearing the limit of all we can know about astronomy."
- Simon Newcomb, astronomer, 1888

yet we are delusional believers. now don't get me wrong, not everything warrants extensive investigation if there is not sufficient evidence but to dismiss an entire area of evidence simply because you find it ridiculous and conflicting with your world view is quite sad, its also counter productive

Why is NDE/Psi research frequently referred to as 'pseudoscience', is there any truth to that claim or is it only used as a dismissal
The most detailed explanation why academic parapsychology is NOT "pseudoscience" was given by Marie-Catherine Mousseau in her paper "Parapsychology: Science or Pseudo-Science?", where she performed a very detailed comparative analysis of traits characteristic for accepted mainstream science and academic parapsychology, respectively - and found that parapsychology has the very same traits that mainstream sciece have:

http://www.scientificexploration.org/journal/jse_17_2_mousseau.pdf

The most detailed explanation why academic parapsychology is NOT "pseudoscience" was given by Marie-Catherine Mousseau in her paper "Parapsychology: Science or Pseudo-Science?", where she performed a very detailed comparative analysis of traits characteristic for accepted mainstream science and academic parapsychology, respectively - and found that parapsychology has the very same traits that mainstream sciece have:

http://www.scientificexploration.org/journal/jse_17_2_mousseau.pdf
Nice, that article is just what I needed right now, thanks for sharing. Just an update (the main reason for resurrecting yet another old thread) - that link is now dead, but the paper can still be found (as a free PDF) here: http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.539.7616&rep=rep1&type=pdf.