Psychic Detectives...

I admit that up until I was listening to Alex's work on Psychic Detectives, I was more than a skeptic. Even now, I'm of the belief that there's probably more frauds than anything out there, but there's certainly something more.

Here in Canada one of our journalistic (60 Minutes like) show the 5th Estate showed a perplexing case with a family that is desperate to find their child. Finding Emma is there with all the clues.
http://www.cbc.ca/fifth/findingemma

and youtube has the entire story we have so far

So the question is Alex and Andy... who do you think would be the best Psychic to contact to find information for Emma?
I have no connection to her or the family. I just would like to see them get some kind of closure.

Reactions: DTK
That's entirely true in my opinion. But I also have a great deal of frustration with the Amazing Randi's of the world and the tortured logic that says, "If I can recreate something showing that you can fake doing it, no real mystery is involved."
That's like saying there's no such thing as lightning in the natural world because I can recreate lightning in a laboratory. Let's deal with actual case-by-case issues and verify their veracity as such.

That's entirely true in my opinion. But I also have a great deal of frustration with the Amazing Randi's of the world and the tortured logic that says, "If I can recreate something showing that you can fake doing it, no real mystery is involved."
Yikes. Don't get me wrong. There are people with well-honed psychic abilities. . My comment was just about people who work as such Now that I think about it .it was inaccurate. I don't know that there are more frauds but let's just say that there are some frauds.

I have had contact with a few individuals who have proven to me, over and over again beyond any reasonable doubt, that genuine psychic perception occurs. But it is just too difficult to control to any degree of reliability in most situations, and there are so many factors about the phenomena that we don't understand (including people who have the skill) that it just can't be relied on to the degree that we'd like. So questions like "who is the best psychic too help" in a given situation just can't be answered by anyone at this time. Skeptics use that to deny that the phenomena exists at all, but unfortunately that does nothing except further hinder any progress that we might make toward understanding it.

Cheers,
Bill

Skeptics use that to deny that the phenomena exists at all, but unfortunately that does nothing except further hinder any progress that we might make toward understanding it.

I would argue that parapsychology's current disinterest in understanding psi has more to do with it than what some skeptics think. Last I read up on the papers, they were largely working on random number studies (which I suspect are terribly uninteresting, and not helpful) instead of going anywhere with the EEG, EKG (presentiment) or EM (Persinger's telepathy fields) avenues. Persinger seems to be the only one attempting to find explanations as well (cf. the Ingo Swann studies with the Shakti system.)

The old era of psychial research didn't make believers out of screaming at people for "world views" and "skeptics", but by repeatedly inviting unbelievers with open arms to witness strange events. Without strange events, there is nothing to show, and there are plenty of stories as it is.

I just would like to see them get some kind of closure.

It would seem that after three years there is hardly any hope that she is alive. That said, here in Germany, a woman who had disappeared and been presumed to have been murdered 31 years ago, when she was a young student, has just reappeared this September. She had panicked when her study exams went downhill, decided to disappear, and somehow managed to go unnoticed for three decades (which can't be that easy in a densely populated and obsessively bureaucratic country like this). So, I guess, these things do happen.

I admit that up until I was listening to Alex's work on Psychic Detectives, I was more than a skeptic. Even now, I'm of the belief that there's probably more frauds than anything out there, but there's certainly something more.

Absolutely the same here. I wasn't even aware of this "phenomenon" going on in the U.S. and other english speaking countries, until I learned about it on Skeptiko.

Now I'm watching psychic detective episodes on Youtube and I'm really astonished by the many (former) police officials going on the record, saying that the information they received from thw psychics was useful.

In my country, the subject is treated as pure entertainment (as seen in U.S. TV series, so they can't be for real per definition) and basically a joke (as in "those nutcases that always call the police in an unsolved murder case"). Official statements here in Germany always say that "no psychics have ever contributed anyhing worthwile", meaning they are all probably self-deluded or charlatans. If there are police officers working with intuitives, they probably know better than to let anything on.

What strikes me as odd, is that even though there have obviously been dozens of very credible (ex-)police officers talking about it in shows like "Sightings" or "Unsolved Mysteries" in the U.S., going on the record about psychics producing relevant and veridical information, the official stance still doesn't seem to differ that much from the U.S. to Germany (?)

Last edited:
This is one of the most successful performances from a psychic detective that I've seen. She (Rosemarie Kerr) was so successful in her efforts that she was even put on the witness stand!

Here's an article about the case and Rosemarie in LA Times:
http://articles.latimes.com/1988-02-07/local/me-41061_1_rosemarie-kerr
Knowing he was dead and giving a description including the number 7, the body of water, and railroad tracks are details that could arguably be suspected as coincidence. However, directing the family with a sense of urgency to the exact location of the truck at exactly the right time is so uncanny that it crosses the boundary of something that you write off. I've witnessed this kind of thing from a friend who is psychic. The first few times you allow yourself to be skeptical and entertain the idea that the person just got really, really lucky. But after repeated incidences that wears off, you have no choice but accept that psychic perception is a real phenomena.

As many times as a genuine psychic can do this kind of thing, I believe it is always very difficult for it to be done consistently on-demand (as much as skeptics insist this is the way it must be). In one of J.E. Kennedy's papers about conclusions on the paranormal he mentions someone he personally knew who demonstrated "unambiguous psi ability available almost at will" (http://jeksite.org/psi/jaspr00.pdf). A rare case of someone who could seemingly demonstrate ability at will and was investigated was Stefan Ossowiecki. Skeptics generally don't like to discuss such things.

Cheers,
Bill

Bill, there's just so many cases with successful psychic's in which they also received endorsements from the PD's they worked with/ for. It would really take a lot dismiss every single one of these cases.

Bill, there's just so many cases with successful psychic's in which they also received endorsements from the PD's they worked with/ for. It would really take a lot dismiss every single one of these cases.
Possibly, but then again I'm sure many don't publicly admit it. I thought this was really interesting. Here is someone with a PhD, who worked as a criminal profiler on thousands of cases, wrote books on these topics, and just happens to be psychic:

I trained thousands of police officers, CIA and FBI agents and interviewed 25 serial killers and mass murderers. I was famous for how accurate my profiles tended to be. Many, many times, shrewd detectives told me I was so accurate it was eerie. There was a reason for that, a truth that I kept secret. I kept this secret because telling the truth about this subject is often taboo. The truth is that I am a psychic medium.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/disturbed/201211/psychic-mediumship-in-law-enforcement

Cheers,
Bill

That's very interesting. It's sad that she had to wait until retirement to come out as a psychic, even though she had a successful career. Again, very interesting. Thanks for the link!

That's very interesting. It's sad that she had to wait until retirement to come out as a psychic, even though she had a successful career. Again, very interesting. Thanks for the link!
The arrogance and stupidity of pseudo-skeptics who insist people like this are delusional never ceases to amaze me!

Cheers,
Bill

Reactions: tim
Definitely. Is every psychic detective genuine? No. However, there are a few that are very good at what they do (as shown with the case above). I didn't arrive at that conclusion because of the claims of the psychic detectives, but from the testimonies of PD's and families who have used certain psychic detectives to solve crimes. Like I said, I don't understand how anyone can just outright dismiss these extraordinary cases.

Last edited:
What strikes me as odd, is that even though there have obviously been dozens of very credible (ex-)police officers talking about it in shows like "Sightings" or "Unsolved Mysteries" in the U.S., going on the record about psychics producing relevant and veridical information, the official stance still doesn't seem to differ that much from the U.S. to Germany (?)
This seems to be the way modern establishment science works! Here is a list of medical studies showing that blood cholesterol (or blood LDL) is slightly positively correlated with longevity. Try showing that to you doctor the next time you have your cholesterol measured!

The approach seems to be that if you ignore the evidence, people will forget about it.

David

Reactions: DTK
I would argue that parapsychology's current disinterest in understanding psi has more to do with it than what some skeptics think. Last I read up on the papers, they were largely working on random number studies (which I suspect are terribly uninteresting, and not helpful) instead of going anywhere with the EEG, EKG (presentiment) or EM (Persinger's telepathy fields) avenues. Persinger seems to be the only one attempting to find explanations as well (cf. the Ingo Swann studies with the Shakti system.)
Well the reason that they are obsessed with random numbers has everything to do with the sceptics - because sceptics can't ever accept that ψ exists, or even almost certainly exists - and a lot of parapsychology goes on searching for a proof long after that phase of the research is over!

Persinger is a curious case, because he seems to be chasing strictly materialistic explanations for ψ. Some time ago, I wrote to one of his research workers (whom I won't name) who engaged in an email discussion with me about the severe problem of explaining ESP and other ψ phenomena with very low frequency electromagnetic oscillations (7 Hz). The problem is the bandwidth, given that large numbers of people must be having ψ experiences at any one time. Eventually this unnamed individual basically said that science for him was a sort of game - trying to fit materialistic science to ψ as far as possible, disregarding the obvious problems!

However, Dean Radin reports that ψ performance varies with the geomagnetic environment (which I think is ultimately affected by the solar wind (not certain about that)). This makes me wonder if Persinger hopes that there is some sort of psychic extension to electromagnetism - something also hinted at by Seth - if you give channelled entities any credence!
The old era of psychial research didn't make believers out of screaming at people for "world views" and "skeptics", but by repeatedly inviting unbelievers with open arms to witness strange events. Without strange events, there is nothing to show, and there are plenty of stories as it is.

That is too cryptic for me - how about inviting people to observe remote viewing?

David

This makes me wonder if Persinger hopes that there is some sort of psychic extension to electromagnetism - something also hinted at by Seth - if you give channelled entities any credence!
A better term than extension would be a correspondence (think "as above so below"), and this is more than hinted at in many occult, gnostic and esoteric schools of thought. I have a feeling that a good many of the keys to the knowledge and understanding of reality that we seek has already been found, but gets forgotten, ignored, misinterpreted, etc.

Cheers,
Bill

A better term than extension would be a correspondence (think "as above so below"), and this is more than hinted at in many occult, gnostic and esoteric schools of thought. I have a feeling that a good many of the keys to the knowledge and understanding of reality that we seek has already been found, but gets forgotten, ignored, misinterpreted, etc.

Cheers,
Bill
I was thinking about Seth's discussion of what I think he called ee-units (a rather odd term). He seemed to imply that the one area of physics that seems pretty done and dusted - electromagnetic theory - might be incomplete. Bearing in mind that the speed of light comes out of that theory, and that according to special relativity time stops (timelessness) for things moving at the speed of light, that would not seem utterly implausible.

Do you have any links that expand on your comment?

David

Back