Quantum physics woo...?

It's pretty clear that there's quite a lot of "woo" that mingles QM with other unrelated stuff in silly ways. We can all sympathize with Prof Moriarty's frustration against claims of existence of a quantum afterlife :)

Unfortunately, at the same time, it's not settled wether we need consciousness for quantum effects. Prof. Moriarty in this video seems overly confident about this with his black and white statements while he also admits that "we just don't know" in the opening of the interview. So why drawing ultimate conclusions, dear prof?

Similarly he seems to ignore that quantum effects do "bubble up" to larger scales of reality which also rings another alarm bell... how about smell? Bird's migration, Magnetism! Why not mentioning quantum biology?

Why would it be so bad if consciousness was part of the fundamental elements of nature (if not THE fundamental one)? What's so scary about these concepts that make all "serious" scientists horrify and deny it although if the question isn' even remotely settled?

p.s. = enjoyed the accent of the prof, is there some Irish in there? I am not a native speaker.

Why would it be so bad if consciousness was part of the fundamental elements of nature (if not THE fundamental one)? What's so scary about these concepts that make all "serious" scientists horrify and deny it although if the question isn' even remotely settled?
A lot of the scientists studying cognition are neurologists. It's not that they're horrified or in denial about the mysteries of consciousness, I don't think. It's just that their science (and the medical stuff that results from it) is reliant upon making materialist "working assumptions". The physics of quantum mechanics is still too mysterious to be useful to them.

The guy has got some Northern Irish in there, different from how we speak here in the Republic of Ireland, though we have many accents in here ourselves

Thanks, not being a native English speaker I am fascinated by the many types of accents, some are more difficult than others. This one not really, just sounds particular.