Rajneesh / OSHO Thread

F

fire

Does anyone else adore OSHO? When I listen to the recordings of him from Pune I just want to die.

I love reading about all the nonsense with the salmonella attacks on the salad bars of Oregon. The whole thing is endlessly fascinating.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rajneesh

Here are his "ten commandments":

During his early days as Acharya Rajneesh, a correspondent asked Rajneesh for his "ten commandments". He noted that it was a difficult matter because he was against any kind of commandment, but "just for fun" listed the following:

1. Never obey anyone's command unless it is coming from within you.
  2. There is no God other than life itself.
  3. Truth is within you, do not search for it elsewhere.
  4. Love is prayer.
  5. To become a nothingness is the door to truth. Nothingness itself is the means, the goal and attainment.
  6. Life is now and here.
  7. Live wakefully.
  8. Do not swim—float.
  9. Die each moment so that you can be new each moment.
  10. Do not search. That which is, is. Stop and see.
He underlined numbers 3, 7, 9 and 10; these ideas have remained constant leitmotifs in his movement.

Not sure how this is related to extended consciousness directly, but yes, Osho was awake - to the extent that I can discern by not having actually met him.

I've met several people who've worked with him in Pune and of course legends rise easily, but these people talk very easily about Osho and his qualities.

Having done my share of Dynamic and Kundalini and having found them personally very useful for me, I can attest to his ability to discern the problems / barriers for meditation for the modern western mind.

Also, after having waded through hundreds of research papers on anomalous intuition and lots of not so good pop-books on psychic intuition, Osho's book on Intuition (which is just transliteration of his speeches/discourses) is easily on the very close to the top of the pile. He was not just awake, but extremely well read on philosophy.

In many ways he was the Bruce Lee of spiritual arts - try everything, listen to yourself, use what works and discard the rest. He and his sannyas left a great legacy which is still alive and well, if anybody wants to tap into it...

Last edited:
The recordings from Pune are incredible and there are many. They are freely available by Google search.

And that’s why I insist again and again that you don’t get attached to any polarity. You have been taught to become attached to some polarity. Your so-called religions have been teaching you: either be worldly or renounce and go to the monasteries. I say remain in the world and don’t be of it, otherwise you will become attached to a polarity. If you go to the monastery you will be afraid of the market-place. What kind of attainment is this? If there is fear there is no attainment.

And I know people who have lived in the Himalayas. Then they become afraid. Then they don’t want to come to the world because whatsoever they have been experiencing in the Himalayas disappears when they come to the market-place. If it disappears in the market-place it is no attainment. It may have been just the silence of the Himalayas that you mistook for your silence. It was borrowed. Certainly, the Himalayas are silent, and if you live in that silence, slowly slowly that silence starts permeating you. But it is not your music; it is borrowed. Go away from the Himalayas and it will disappear.

This is creating a fallacy. This is enjoying a reflected glory. This is not your own glory. Live in the market-place and create a Himalaya in the heart. Become silent in the noise. Remain a householder and yet be a sannyasin. That’s why I emphasize so much that I don’t want my sannyasins to renounce. Nothing has to be renounced. The way of renunciation is the way of the escapist, and the way of renunciation will make you attached to a polar phenomenon. That will not give you freedom. Freedom is in transcendence, and transcendence comes only when you live in the polar opposites simultaneously, together. So be in the world, but don’t let the world be in you.

Love, and yet don’t be lost in it. Relate, and yet be alone, utterly alone. Know perfectly well that all relationship is a game. Play the game and play it as beautifully as possible and as skilfully as possible. A game is after all a game and has to be played beautifully. And follow all the rules of the game, because a game cannot exist in you. Remain sincere but non-serious. And then, slowly slowly, you will see that the polarities are disappearing. Who is worldly, and who is other-worldly? You are both or neither.

--OSHO​

An OSHO track ----> http://www.speedlimit25.com/images/osho_jesus.mp3

In India we say you have passed millions of lives. Where can it lead? The analysis of the past cannot lead anywhere. It can drive you crazy, but it leads nowhere. And so is the case with the future. Where to stop? How far is far enough? Where to make a point that ’Now we will not look ahead’? In the East we have tried that too, because we have worked tremendously on the concept of time. And both are unending: memory is unending, imagination is unending. Between the two is the present moment, very tiny, so tiny that you cannot become aware of it if you are not absolutely alert. It goes so fast, it is so fleeting.

But if you become aware of the present, then a door opens, the door to eternity. It is from there that mind moves into no-mind. It is from there that personality moves beyond personality into essence.

You know perfectly well Jesus was crucified. There were two thieves who were crucified with him: one was on his left side, the other was on his right side. You may not have ever thought of it as a tremendously significant symbol but Jesus represents the present moment. One thief is the past, the other thief is the future. And Jesus represents the present moment – closest to God, closest to essence. One thief mocked Jesus – the past always mocks you, he condemned Jesus – the past always condemns you. The other thief asked Jesus about the future, ’What will happen after death? will I be able to see you in heaven?’ One is past, the other is future, and Jesus is just sandwiched between these two thieves.

And why call them thieves? Past is a thief, future is a thief, because they go on stealing your present. They ARE thieves. To me this is a parable. I don’t know whether any Christian will agree with me or not, but that is not my business at all. I don’t care whether anybody agrees with me or not.
Jesus is present, herenow, closest to the essence, just ready to die and disappear from the body and the mind. He hesitates a little bit – everybody hesitates. When you come to the present, you will see eternity facing you – no past, no future, but eternity – a totally different dimension.

Past, present, future are horizontal; eternity is vertical. Again, to me, the cross is the symbol of these two lines crossing. A cross is made of two lines: one horizontal, the other vertical. This is a representation of time and eternity. Everybody hesitates when one faces eternity, nowhereness, nothingness, or all-ness. It is so much. One is going to disappear into it like a drop. And the ocean is so big, one will not be found again. Even a dewdrop falling into the ocean from a grass leaf hesitates.

Jesus hesitated, and I love this man because he hesitated. His hesitation shows that he was human. His hesitation shows that he belonged to us – he was son of man. He cried to God, ’Have you forsaken me? What are you doing to me? Have you abandoned me? Are you no more with me? I am disappearing and I don’t see your hands protecting me.’ The dewdrop is falling in the ocean. ’Where are you? I am falling into a deep nothingness. Death has arrived, and I had always hoped that in death you would be there waiting and you would embrace me, you would take me in your fold, you would be warm and loving. But where are you? Have you forsaken me? Have you abandoned me? I don’t see you anywhere.’

In fact, there is no God to be seen. God is not a person, God is a positive name for this absolute nothingness. But Jesus has lived with the Jewish idea of God as a person, hence this turmoil in his mind, the fear in his mind. He can’t see he was waiting to see the beloved, the Father. He used to call the Father ’ABBA’. He was waiting to find his father, but there seems to be nobody. The world is finished and beyond is nothing but a yawning nothingness, an abyss with no bottom.

It is very human. The life of Jesus is very human, and that is the beauty of it. That’s why it has impressed so many people – his very humanity is touching. But then he saw the point. He must have looked deep into the eternity, the nothingness. He must have seen the point: that ’God cannot have a human face, this is his face,’ that ’God cannot have human hands, this nothingness is ready to embrace me, to take me deep into its heart.’ And then he said to God, ’Thy Kingdom come. Thy will be done. So, be it so. Let it be so. So you are nothingness. I am ready, I trust you. I will trust even your nothingness.’

Every Christian, every Mohammedan, every Hindu, every Jew – whosoever has lived with the idea of God’s personality will have to face this, will have to go through this anxiety period, this anguish. That is the beauty of the Buddha’s idea and the Taoist idea that God is nothingness, another name for nothingness. One who has lived with that idea of nothingness from the very beginning will not hesitate, he will simply disappear into it. ---OSHO

An OSHO track ----> http://www.speedlimit25.com/images/osho_mind.mp3

THE RIVER ULTIMATELY REACHES THE SEA. THE BODY GOES AND THERE REMAINS ONLY EXISTENCE, THE INFINITE. WHAT THEN IS THIS URGE AND THE PURPOSE OF GETTING THERE NOW? ISN’T IT PUSHING THE RIVER?

Hamid, the problem is that man is NOT a river, man is very much frozen. There is no flow in man’s being. Man is like ice, not like water.

If man is a river, there is no need to push it, it will reach ultimately to the ocean. It HAS already reached: in that very flow it has become part of the ocean. To be flowing is to be oceanic.

But man is not flowing, hence the urge. The ice wants to melt, hence the effort. Once the ice has melted, then there is no need to push anything, then everything happens of its own accord.

Man has become a rock. And the reason why man has become a non-flowing rock is the mind. The body is perfectly flowing, so is the soul. But between the two, the link, the mind, is frozen ice. Once the mind goes deeper into meditation it starts melting. That’s what meditation is all about: an effort to melt the mind.

You say, ’The river ultimately reaches the sea.’

That’s true, but first become a river.

You say, ’The body goes and there remains only existence, the infinite.’

True, but between the body and the soul there is a mind clinging to you, or you clinging to it. The body goes, but you don’t become the infinite because you are not only surrounded by a body – that is your physical limitation – there is psychological limitation inside it. Through the death of the body, mind will not die, it will take rebirth. It will move into another womb, because it will carry so many desires which are to be fulfilled. It will again seek another womb, another body with which to fulfill those desires. That is the very foundation of the theory of reincarnation.

Mind desires, and if desires are there, then opportunities will arise in which those desires will be fulfilled. God cooperates with you. If you have desires like a dog, you will become a dog, you will have the body of a dog. Your mind creates the blueprint, and then the body follows. The body is a projection of the mind, not vice versa. Unless mind disappears completely you will be born again and again. Once the mind is gone, then it is perfectly true, Hamid: the body disappears and you are the infinite. In fact, if the mind is not there, you are the infinite without the disappearance of the body, without the death of the body. There is no need to wait for that.

Buddha is infinite even when he is in the body because he knows he is not the body. Buddha is infinite when he leaves the body. There is no difference for him: living in the body or leaving the body is the same. You live in a house, but you don’t think that you are the house. Exactly like that, an awakened consciousness lives in the body; it uses the body just as you use a car. You sit in the car, you drive the car; you know that you are not the car. You can get out of it any moment. You need not wait for an accident to happen when the car is destroyed to feel that you are not the car. And if you don’t know it when the car is there and you are in it, how are you going to know it when the car is not there? Just through the death of the body, you will not know that you are infinite.

Either you are infinite herenow, or you will never be. Infinity is your nature.

The real problem is not the body. The body is not the culprit as the so-called religions have been telling you, ’The body is the culprit!’ The body is not the culprit at all. The body is utterly innocent and beautiful. The culprit is the mind, the MIND IS the devil. You will have to dissolve the mind, hence the urge, hence the purpose of all the methodologies that have been developed down the ages: Tao, Yoga, Tantra, Zen, Hassidism.

Become a river and then nothing is needed. That’s what THE SECRET OF THE GOLDEN FLOWER says: Achieve inaction through action, achieve effortlessness through effort. But first comes the effort, the action. It will melt you, and then the river starts flowing. In that very flow it has reached the ocean.

An OSHO track ----> http://www.speedlimit25.com/images/osho_mind.mp3

THE RIVER ULTIMATELY REACHES THE SEA. THE BODY GOES AND THERE REMAINS ONLY EXISTENCE, THE INFINITE. WHAT THEN IS THIS URGE AND THE PURPOSE OF GETTING THERE NOW? ISN’T IT PUSHING THE RIVER?

Hamid, the problem is that man is NOT a river, man is very much frozen. There is no flow in man’s being. Man is like ice, not like water.

If man is a river, there is no need to push it, it will reach ultimately to the ocean. It HAS already reached: in that very flow it has become part of the ocean. To be flowing is to be oceanic.

But man is not flowing, hence the urge. The ice wants to melt, hence the effort. Once the ice has melted, then there is no need to push anything, then everything happens of its own accord.

Man has become a rock. And the reason why man has become a non-flowing rock is the mind. The body is perfectly flowing, so is the soul. But between the two, the link, the mind, is frozen ice. Once the mind goes deeper into meditation it starts melting. That’s what meditation is all about: an effort to melt the mind.

You say, ’The river ultimately reaches the sea.’

That’s true, but first become a river.

You say, ’The body goes and there remains only existence, the infinite.’

True, but between the body and the soul there is a mind clinging to you, or you clinging to it. The body goes, but you don’t become the infinite because you are not only surrounded by a body – that is your physical limitation – there is psychological limitation inside it. Through the death of the body, mind will not die, it will take rebirth. It will move into another womb, because it will carry so many desires which are to be fulfilled. It will again seek another womb, another body with which to fulfill those desires. That is the very foundation of the theory of reincarnation.

Mind desires, and if desires are there, then opportunities will arise in which those desires will be fulfilled. God cooperates with you. If you have desires like a dog, you will become a dog, you will have the body of a dog. Your mind creates the blueprint, and then the body follows. The body is a projection of the mind, not vice versa. Unless mind disappears completely you will be born again and again. Once the mind is gone, then it is perfectly true, Hamid: the body disappears and you are the infinite. In fact, if the mind is not there, you are the infinite without the disappearance of the body, without the death of the body. There is no need to wait for that.

Buddha is infinite even when he is in the body because he knows he is not the body. Buddha is infinite when he leaves the body. There is no difference for him: living in the body or leaving the body is the same. You live in a house, but you don’t think that you are the house. Exactly like that, an awakened consciousness lives in the body; it uses the body just as you use a car. You sit in the car, you drive the car; you know that you are not the car. You can get out of it any moment. You need not wait for an accident to happen when the car is destroyed to feel that you are not the car. And if you don’t know it when the car is there and you are in it, how are you going to know it when the car is not there? Just through the death of the body, you will not know that you are infinite.

Either you are infinite herenow, or you will never be. Infinity is your nature.

The real problem is not the body. The body is not the culprit as the so-called religions have been telling you, ’The body is the culprit!’ The body is not the culprit at all. The body is utterly innocent and beautiful. The culprit is the mind, the MIND IS the devil. You will have to dissolve the mind, hence the urge, hence the purpose of all the methodologies that have been developed down the ages: Tao, Yoga, Tantra, Zen, Hassidism.

Become a river and then nothing is needed. That’s what THE SECRET OF THE GOLDEN FLOWER says: Achieve inaction through action, achieve effortlessness through effort. But first comes the effort, the action. It will melt you, and then the river starts flowing. In that very flow it has reached the ocean.

:eek:

Well, if you may indulge me for a while, as the opportunities I've had to say this over the past 13 or so years has been virtually never (okay, perhaps one single post on another forum ONCE!)....

I know quite a bit about Osho since my teens, originally thought he was pure fraud, then (as I matured) came to appreciate the depth of his insight and experience. His auto-biography was fascinating (diary of a spiritually incorrect mystic or some such?).

Annnyways, the "enlightenment" dynamic, especially the neo-vedantic type so en vogue at the moment, is generally had in encounters with other "enlightened people" (let's leave aside the implication or true nature of this dynamic for the moment - but something/it certainely happens).

I got "enlightened" by some guy some 13 or 14 years ago. He got enlightened some years prior by some European guy called "Mikhaeri" or something. Mikhaeri got enlightened by Osho several years prior to that (I found this out some years after my experience).

In other words, I am carrying on the esteemed & lofty lineage of Osho to this very day.

Please send your money, Rolly Royces and beautiful women to......

:D

Back