Reasons for banning individuals

I have decided to start a thread to explain why I permanently ban someone. I won't include temporary bans, or those who just post spam (because these can get through in large bursts), because such people will return, and it may be better that my discussions with him/her are private. Of course, if they 'progress' to a permanent ban, they will appear here.

I'd rather others didn't post here (except other moderators of course), because the thread will clog up with argument!

David

Last edited:
"I am better than you"

I have banned this individual because every time he has accessed this website he has used a proxy.

A subsidiary reason is that he has carried on in a long tradition of people who have joined with absurd user names, and then proceeded to mess about. I have suggested that if he wants to contribute, he reapplies without the proxy, and preferably uses a sensible user name.

I guess if someone posted through a proxy and then made a post explaining their need to do this, I'd treat that differently.

David

I don't mind the silly names - sometimes I laugh, as I did with Formal Dining Room Set. Hiding behind a proxy is not admirable, however, but don't be too hasty: I use a VPN sometimes and forget that I'm still connected, so I wouldn't want to be banned for that. Also, I read posts when connected to networks other than my own - for example, my son's when I'm in New Zealand (by the way, my IP will change to New Zealand in the near future as I will be emigrating to Auckland).

What I didn't like about the above named character was the idea that we are supposed to be thick skinned and laugh off any insults. That's the thin end of the wedge when it comes to internet bullying. Yes, he/she could be funny but some of the comments have been sharp and quite nasty. It is one thing to get involved in a heated discussion and "lose it" for a moment but it is quite another to pick on someone for no reason just for the "fun" of it.

I don't mind the silly names - sometimes I laugh, as I did with Formal Dining Room Set. Hiding behind a proxy is not admirable, however, but don't be too hasty: I use a VPN sometimes and forget that I'm still connected, so I wouldn't want to be banned for that.
I wouldn't ban an established user for that, but when someone joins and every IP address associated with them is proxy, I think it is different.

FDRS was something of an exception, but you can't deny that we have been plagued with idiots with stupid names - "Rotting Flesh", "Greatest I am", "The Moderator", etc.

Don't forget that if a person has only just joined, they don't lose anything if they are banned, they can return under a new name.

I am willing to be persuaded if people generally think this is the wrong approach.

David

I am willing to be persuaded if people generally think this is the wrong approach.

I think there should be a sporting cat and mouse relationship between the sexy FDRS and the moderator. I understand sometimes you have to do your job, but I think he should be allowed to run around for a while first. He adds some much needed comedic relief and his insults help people to not take themselves so seriously. He does often contribute things to discussions (usually sandwiched between insults). Also, he improves my likes/post ratio. :)

"I am better than you"

I have banned this individual because every time he has accessed this website he has used a proxy.

A subsidiary reason is that he has carried on in a long tradition of people who have joined with absurd user names, and then proceeded to mess about. I have suggested that if he wants to contribute, he reapplies without the proxy, and preferably uses a sensible user name.

I guess if someone posted through a proxy and then made a post explaining their need to do this, I'd treat that differently.

David

What a drag. Get a sense of humor and start banning people for actual offences rather than because you don't like them, or they don't agree with you.

I Am Better Than You has posted more interesting stuff on Trump in the last 24 hrs than you have in the entire thread.

my son's when I'm in New Zealand (by the way, my IP will change to New Zealand in the near future as I will be emigrating to Auckland).

Congrats on your move!

Just to note I've no idea who we're talking about because that link is broken.

OK - I was going to let him in, but others have fed me some more information privately.

In addition, I have been reminded that Andy also had/has a policy of banning people you hid using proxies. I am waiting at the moment.

David

Last edited:
OK - I was going to let him in, but others have fed me some more information privately.

In addition, I have been reminded that Andy also had/has a policy of banning people you hid using proxies. I am waiting at the moment.

David

It would nice to know what this information is David. You don't have to give the individual's name, but I think considering that there are many who would be comfortable with the Buck's return that we like to hear the arguments against.

It would nice to know what this information is David. You don't have to give the individual's name, but I think considering that there are many who would be comfortable with the Buck's return that we like to hear the arguments against.
Well one piece of information is that it has indeed been a long standing policy not to let people come in on proxies - basically because it means you can't keep trouble makers out or even recognise them based on their IP addresses.

Some people are also coming up with the names he has used in 'reincarnations' but I am not sure how firm that information is.

David

Like the majority of long-time active members of this forum, I welcome Sexy's (aka "I am better than you", "Formal Dining Room Set", etc.) participation. He adds a dimension of wit and charm to discussions that have grown very, very tiresome for most of us old-timers. And when he's not in clown mode, he often has valuable insights to share.

But David has a job to do, and it's a lonely and thankless one. We can't blame him for banning a new user that uses a proxy connection and rushes out of the gate with insults. We should also think of new members who don't know Sexy's history here and could be put off by behavior that might not come across as comical to them. While we're laughing ourselves silly over his antics, new members with something to contribute could wind up going elsewhere, rather than take a chance on being insulted by someone who they perceive as a real jerk. Ditto for lurkers who might have joined the forum but for Sexy's missteps.

I too want Sexy back. But I wish he'd knock off the crude insults, or be more subtle and creative in his use of them, so as not to scare off new and potential members. I'd also like to see him confine his special brand of humor to inconsequential threads, or threads that have grown so long that it's pointless to try to add anything new to them. (In the past he seemed to abide by this rule, so I don't think it needs to be emphasized.)

Doug

Last edited:
As they say, 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder'. I've seen many witty and entertaining posts on this forum, but I can't say they originated with the member mentioned above, those contributions struck me as dull and lacklustre at best.

I have just realised why I didn't set up a thread about my actions as moderator a long time back! I think I will let the discussion roll on for a bit, and then lock the thread and forget the whole idea!

David

Back