Recommended Books, Fringe Spirituality and the Occult

Mannaz

Hello, forum. I wasn't sure where to put this, so chastise me if it's the wrong forum. Anyway, I was thinking of starting a thread on recommended resources for topics addressed less for those curious of the multiple paths one can take spiritually, debate on how, what, when and why a path could work, and other such things. Skeptics and believers welcome, just don't assume one has all the answers on a subject but I'll try my best. Ready, set, go! (And off to find my books...)

Well, I can find at least one of my Alchemical books. They're both written by Robert Allen Bartlett; Way of the Crucible and Real Alchemy. If you wanted to know more about Alchemy and how it was utilized, these books definitely help one become learned on the subject, with many of the old manuscripts listed in the bibliography. I find the two books very good reads, and it seems Alchemy takes much work for any results. On top of that, it's very dangerous outside the Vegetable Kingdom! I do not however think I would practice this subject, not only am I not trained in Chemistry but the work involved is expensive and often times dangerous.

Bartlett also believes in the merit of the Indian humors(I don't have Way of the Crucible in front of me, I haven't memorized the specific Indian word(s)) for diet and workings. If any are interested in that particular subject I believe he devotes a chapter and some tables to it.

Perhaps I will go into alternate beliefs. Some of these are hard to find a priest in outside a major city but are worth it to those that desire it. Today I'll discuss what I know about Vodou.

Vodou itself is usually steeped in mystery for most of us, usually in the realm of spooky movies and the occasional spell poppet. It is, however, a very hierarchical and somewhat secretive religion based on ancient beliefs from West Africa and Catholicism. There is a God, Bondye, who is very far away and busy in the universe, and Lwa, who are considered his angels, who watch over humanity. Of course, this doesn't make them all good cherubs on clouds; the Lwa are very human like in personality and desires, and will reward and punish at their discretion. Vodou is about community and appeasing and seeking the favor of the Lwa.

The Lwa come in different nations or families depending on where they're from or their purpose. Some share a family name, such as the Simbis and Erzulie Freda and Erzulie Dantor.

You have the old Rada nation recognized as the gods of Africa, who are "cooler" and more beneficent.They include Dambala Wedo, Legba, Ayizan, and Erzulie Freda.

The Petro nation are hot and aggressive, and are considered of Haiti itself. They are less forgiving than the Rada, but they generally aren't evil, just a few could be considered as such. Examples would be Erzulie Dantor, Marinette, Met Kalfu and Erzulie Jan Petro.

The Ghede Lwa are lwa of the dead,So you find the infamous Barons here, such as Samedi Cimitiere and Kriminel, and also Maman Brigitte.

The Kongo Lwa also include Marinette and the Simbi lwa, but I'm not very familiar with this nation.

The Nago are more martial and has many Ogoun spirits.

There are many, many different lwa serviced in Vodou. When services are done for a specific lwa sacrifices are done, anything from a sacrificial animal(In most cases the blood is reserved and the meat is server for the people at the ceremony) to favorite drinks, perfumes, cigars and cakes. Many times a lwa possesses a participant during a ceremony, and depending who showed up they are given certain things to feel at home, such as a water lwa kept in a small pool or a Baron given the top hat and cigar.

The Priests and Priestesses of Vodou are called Houngan and Mambo respectively. There's three different titles in the hierarchy, which because of my horrible memory I can't remember their specific names at the moment. Unfortunately, because of the hierarchical nature of Vodou and the many peristyles involved, the religion is ver y political in it's own sphere.

That's enough for now, but www2.webster.edu/~corbetre/haiti/voodoo/overview.htm Gives a pretty good overview of the religion. Any questions, I'll try to look through my old e-mails with some houngans.

Back