Mod+ Roger Nelson talks about the Global Consciousness Project

S

Sciborg_S_Patel

Thanks for that K9!.

Interesting stuff - I'll have to look into this kind of thing some more.

I mentioned this article* entitled Unbroken Wholeness before:

A few medical insiders are raising the possibility that something heretofore unthinkable may be going on, such as a nonlocal, collective aspect of consciousness that links distant individuals. Among them is Dr Robert S. Bobrow, a courageous clinical associate professor in the Department of Family Medicine at New York's Stony Brook University. In discussing the spread of obesity in his article "Evidence for a Communal Consciousness" in Explore in 2011, he says, "Frankly, obesity that develops from social connection, without face-to-face interaction, suggests emotional telepathy."30

If these experiments don't take your breath away, they should. They suggest that human isolation is a myth, and that human consciousness can manifest in the world beyond the brain. We are linked, united, entangled.
*In John McGuire's thread relating to Bohm's ideas.

This was a webinar recorded on November 23, 2013, co-hosted by the Dutch Society for Psychical Research and the Institute of Noetic Sciences.

The hypothesis of the Global Consciousness Project is that there is a collective or global mind that is detectable with physical devices called random number generators. Dr. Bancel gives a high-level description of the project and the primary results, and then dives into the many subtleties involved in interpreting the results.

http://www.rhine.org/media-library/sermon/59-rogernelsonglobalconsciousness2012.html

What would it mean to you, to your family, your community, and ultimately the world, to know that we humans are interconnected? Even though we can't directly measure the bonds, the evidence from the science of Parapsychology, and the data gathered by the GCP says we are linked -- to each other and to the world at large. The evidence suggests that humans have subtle connections like those of neurons, which link to each other in collaborative and coherent activities.

The Global Consciousness Project (GCP) now has 14 years of experience: data collection, analysis, and interpretation. We'll sample the history of the Project and look for meaning and for implications that are clear and important.

The foundation of the Global Consciousness Project (GCP) is in earlier work, and there is a natural progression from laboratory experiments like those of J. B. Rhine,to the relatively modern experimental work of Helmut Schmidt, Robert Jahn,Dean Radin and Daryl Bem. We'll look at this lineage,especially the technology of random number generator (RNG) experiments and its extension into the natural environment as "FieldREG" studies of group consciousness.

We'll take a conceptual leap toward the possibility that there is a burgeoning global consciousness arising from deep-lying unconscious interconnections. The evidence for this evolutionary development is found, like that from laboratory studies, in small but statistically reliable departures from expectation in well-controlled experiments; results which are outside the normal realm we know how to explain. The importance of such evidence is profound, and it is disproportionate to its apparent fragility.

When humans are brought by external forces or by internal motivations to a synchronized and coherent state there is a new, creative presence in the world. It is not yet a consciousness in the sense of being awake and aware (as far as we know), but it confirms the perennial wisdom that we are one. It shows that when we are in an interconnected state the world does change. We collectively create something that would not exist without our presence, a global consciousness.

Roger Nelson,
Director
Global Consciousness Project

Thanks for that K9!.

Interesting stuff - I'll have to look into this kind of thing some more.

I mentioned this article* entitled Unbroken Wholeness before:

.......If these experiments don't take your breath away, they should. They suggest that human isolation is a myth, and that human consciousness can manifest in the world beyond the brain. We are linked, united, entangled.
I think that Roger Nelson et. al. grossly exaggerate the significance of this extremely subtle "interconnectedness". If it does exist, it just doesn't matter. As a practical matter people live their lives completely psychically isolated from their fellow humans. People blithely go about their business completely unaware while millions may be suffering and dying in some disaster or genocide across the world, or while someone dies in agony just next door. This is as much the case today as in previous ages, and must be an inherent part of the human condition. Certainly life would be unlivable if we weren't isolated, and really felt each other's emotions and experiences. Some sort of "oneness" may be the soul's condition, but it evidently is not meant to be experienced by humans.

As a practical matter people live their lives completely psychically isolated from their fellow humans.
I certainly don't. For example I am careful not to be too blunt or offensive in posts I make online. Even when done accidentally rather than as a deliberately vindictive act, I can feel the hurt I cause other people. It's not pleasant, and has caused me to limit the interactions I have online. In the everyday world it's less of a problem, as cues such as facial expression, or some vocal response acts as a guide, before too much harm is done.

I suspect this is quite a widespread phenomenon, but since people are conditioned to believe such connections are impossible, they ascribe their feelings to some other cause.

Last edited:
I certainly don't. For example I am careful not to be too blunt or offensive in posts I make online. Even when done accidentally rather than as a deliberately vindictive act, I can feel the hurt I cause other people. It's not pleasant, and has caused me to limit the interactions I have online.
You may be unusually psychically sensitive, but this could alternately just be empathy and compassion for others plus imagination. I myself might be uncomfortable if I unthinkingly blurted out some offensive post and were concerned that I had perhaps hurt somebody's feelings. No psychic connection required. The point remains that intense emotion and especially suffering in others seems clearly to have no effect if there are no sensory cues - the person is oblivious if he is unaware of it through the normal senses.

Last edited:
You may be unusually psychically sensitive, but this could alternately just be empathy and compassion for others plus imagination. I myself might be uncomfortable if I unthinkingly blurted out some offensive post and were concerned that I had perhaps hurt somebody's feelings. No psychic connection required. The point remains that intense emotion and especially suffering in others seems clearly to have no effect if there are no sensory cues - the person is oblivious if he is unaware of it through the normal senses.
So your response to years of research and data showing that there is some kind of connectivity between people is to just state, "I don't believe it."

..., but this could alternately just be empathy and compassion for others plus imagination.
Seriously. This is how I live my life. It isn't a vivid imagination. But as I posted earlier today in another context, not everything in life is a laboratory experiment, and I certainly don't propose to offer any kind of supporting evidence here.

S

Sciborg_S_Patel

So your response to years of research and data showing that there is some kind of connectivity between people is to just state, "I don't believe it."
It seemed Nbtruthman was talking more about potential implications to society rather than evaluation of evidence?

No. I think that there is probably some kind of interaction, but it is too subtle to really matter in daily life, and is very hard to separate from imagination and self-suggestion. We just don't psychically, directly, feel each other's pain or joy enough to make any significant impact in how we live our lives. If we did this would be a very different world, but such a change is probably impossible to present humans. This makes the research you are talking about mainly of only academic interest. These subtle effects assuming they are real might be interpreted as tiny foreshadowings of the true capacities of the soul, ones that are not intended for humans on Earth.