Mod+ Runesoup Premium Membership - Thoughts?

Curious - I know you've gotten memberships at other podcasts. Is there something about Runesoup that put you off?

thanks,

Sci
That's a good question. I currently have 2. Mysterious Universe and Higher Side. MU I usually cancel for a while and then catch up closer to the end of the season. Eventually, I will probably stop subscribing to them altogether. I've notified them a couple of times when they got names or dates completely wrong and they were less than gracious when responding. I think they are finding some interesting material in the Theosophic Library that coincidentally is right near their current studio. But other than that there is a lot of repetition on that show. They have quit editing and are basically releasing the show as recorded, which hasn't really made a huge quality difference. But my feeling is that they are riding the gravy train for as long as it lasts. I really dislike it when Aaron goes on about buying expensive electronics and furniture. But I've been supporting them for many years, and they have become something that I look forward to listening to, as much for their silly commentary as anything else.

Greg I have supported periodically because I think his podcast is fairly unique. It's way out in left field most of the time, but I like to listen to that stuff because it helps me feel out the boundaries of credibility and belief. Greg clearly isn't living the high life on his profits. Even so, I will probably cancel that subscription soon. I keep a fairly tight budget and I already have Netflix, Hulu and Prime subs for the family. Plus I get an Major League Baseball sub every year on Father's Day when it goes on half price. I like the way things are moving with media--allowing us to choose a la carte what we want and when. I doubt many services will be must haves on a permanent basis. Hulu, for instance became a lot less attractive when it peeled off the Criterion Collection. I honestly watch very little media these days compared to a couple of years back, but my "kids" are still heavy consumers.

The reason why I won't subscribe to Gordon's podcast is probably more involved. I don't really view Gordon as a particularly deep river. He seems likable enough, and he is a good talker. He has a good memory for things and he synthesizes pretty well. I've bought and read all his books and to be honest, I haven't been impressed. Add that to the fact that I am moving into a phase in my life where I view the occult less as an interesting project to tinker with than as something to question very deeply whether I should really involve myself at all. It may be temporary, but "The Siren Call of Hungry Ghosts" destroyed a metaphysics that for me had become quite pat and comfortable. I'm back again to the idea that there is a great mystery, but that I have very little idea what might be truthful about anything man has written or thought about that mystery. I'm honestly trying to move away from thinking about abstractions and more towards doing things with my hands that I enjoy, mainly woodworking and repairing stuff--maintaining things, small engines, buildings, retaining walls.

Thanks for the responses!

I enjoy his podcast once in a while, but I'm not really interested in magick. I couldn't see myself attending workshops or getting very involved in his premium offerings.

Part of me is curious about the magick stuff, wondering if paying $10/mo would motivate me to really try.

The other part of is akin to Chuck, wondering how deep Gordan's stuff really is.

That's a good question. I currently have 2. Mysterious Universe and Higher Side. MU I usually cancel for a while and then catch up closer to the end of the season. Eventually, I will probably stop subscribing to them altogether. I've notified them a couple of times when they got names or dates completely wrong and they were less than gracious when responding. I think they are finding some interesting material in the Theosophic Library that coincidentally is right near their current studio. But other than that there is a lot of repetition on that show. They have quit editing and are basically releasing the show as recorded, which hasn't really made a huge quality difference. But my feeling is that they are riding the gravy train for as long as it lasts. I really dislike it when Aaron goes on about buying expensive electronics and furniture. But I've been supporting them for many years, and they have become something that I look forward to listening to, as much for their silly commentary as anything else.

Greg I have supported periodically because I think his podcast is fairly unique. It's way out in left field most of the time, but I like to listen to that stuff because it helps me feel out the boundaries of credibility and belief. Greg clearly isn't living the high life on his profits. Even so, I will probably cancel that subscription soon. I keep a fairly tight budget and I already have Netflix, Hulu and Prime subs for the family. Plus I get an Major League Baseball sub every year on Father's Day when it goes on half price. I like the way things are moving with media--allowing us to choose a la carte what we want and when. I doubt many services will be must haves on a permanent basis. Hulu, for instance became a lot less attractive when it peeled off the Criterion Collection. I honestly watch very little media these days compared to a couple of years back, but my "kids" are still heavy consumers.

The reason why I won't subscribe to Gordon's podcast is probably more involved. I don't really view Gordon as a particularly deep river. He seems likable enough, and he is a good talker. He has a good memory for things and he synthesizes pretty well. I've bought and read all his books and to be honest, I haven't been impressed. Add that to the fact that I am moving into a phase in my life where I view the occult less as an interesting project to tinker with than as something to question very deeply whether I should really involve myself at all. It may be temporary, but "The Siren Call of Hungry Ghosts" destroyed a metaphysics that for me had become quite pat and comfortable. I'm back again to the idea that there is a great mystery, but that I have very little idea what might be truthful about anything man has written or thought about that mystery. I'm honestly trying to move away from thinking about abstractions and more towards doing things with my hands that I enjoy, mainly woodworking and repairing stuff--maintaining things, small engines, buildings, retaining walls.

Great post. I have been a bit distracted from metaphysics in favor for more in-this-world type stuff myself...part of me does want to dig deeper into the mystery though...

I've had the same question about Gordon's stuff - it's a great intro to a certain set of world-views but am I that convinced I've got enough to learn from him?

Ah maybe I'll do it for a month or two and see how I feel.

Reactions: K9!
Part of me is curious about the magick stuff, wondering if paying $10/mo would motivate me to really try.

The other part of is akin to Chuck, wondering how deep Gordan's stuff really is.

Unless he or someone who represents his group can, on the spot, do something obviously magickal then it's outright not worth paying for. After all why would someone hand over real resources for something who's reality is ambiguous? That's my thoughts on any such subscriptions or payments including psychic readings. I've paid for a psychic reading before but that was because of the data I was getting about said psychic from friends and family. The psychic turned out to be legit although could've been way more skilled if she dropped the religious lightworker nonsense and looked at things more objectively. I'd be thinking the same thing for Gordon. I don't know as much about his idea of "chaos magick" as I maybe probably should but basically... if I can't levitate with it, if I can't use telekinesis with it, if I can't make a solid object out of thin air with it, then what good is it and why would I pay him?

I'm slowly making my thread because I figure if someone has the motivation to develop magic they don't need an extra resource dump to do it. The only thing that could benefit them is free knowledge of others who are also attempting to develop the same skills to save them a bit of time not making the same mistakes those others did. The people who don't have the motivation will never develop magic no matter how many resources they dump into it to try motivating themselves. It's like an aspiring digital artist who goes out and buys a really expensive high end tablet and really expensive high end software but then get's angry that the tools didn't magically make them a good artist. I can imagine the types of facilities I'd love to have to help me with my training, but I don't have them, and it doesn't stop me from training.

Not really my thing to pay premium/gold/whatever memberships anymore.

Regarding the existence of "magick"... I have experienced some pretty insane synchronicities which have convinced me that there are underlying patterns to reality. I figure that "magick" would be the act of consciously manipulating these patterns.

Thanks guys,

I think I'll wait to see how people subscribe feel about the premium version before jumping in!

It may be temporary, but "The Siren Call of Hungry Ghosts" destroyed a metaphysics that for me had become quite pat and comfortable.
It's an interesting book indeed, with some disturbing stories. Even more disturbing Fisher committed suicide the year the book was released, if I remember correctly.
Nontheless it's an interesting investigation of the dark side of channelling phenomena.

I'm back again to the idea that there is a great mystery, but that I have very little idea what might be truthful about anything man has written or thought about that mystery.
Yes, big freakin' mystery.

cheers

Back