Sam Parnia on Closer to Truth

http://www.closertotruth.com/series/life-after-death-possible#video-49277
In this clip and the two which precede it, Parnia seems to do a lot of hedging. I was surprised to hear him say he believed the psyche or soul has some degree of materiality...something we haven't discovered yet.
But that surely doesn't address new knowledge obtained during NDEs when there's no functioning 'material' to obtain that knowledge.
And that was something the interviewer failed to ask him.

???

Unless I'm missing something, he didn't actually say that he believed there was some materiality to conciousness, that was the interviewer's premise but Parnia avoided that question like a plague and basically answered with (paraphrasing) "we know that it continues for some time after the brain stops functioning, but we don't know for how long".

I'm pretty sure he said it in one of the two clips before this one in the three clip series. That's why the interviewer asked that question that way.

http://www.closertotruth.com/series/life-after-death-possible#video-49277
In this clip and the two which precede it, Parnia seems to do a lot of hedging. I was surprised to hear him say he believed the psyche or soul has some degree of materiality...something we haven't discovered yet.
But that surely doesn't address new knowledge obtained during NDEs when there's no functioning 'material' to obtain that knowledge.
And that was something the interviewer failed to ask him.
That's the first time I've heard Parnia highlight on a topical interview that the organisms cells are still alive, even though the organism appears behaviourally unconscious during the early stages of cardiac arrest.

He has been quite consistent when describing death as a process in the past, and his insistence in slowing that process obviously requires that cells can be brought back. I don't think that he has been denying that at all.

This reminds me of a 2005 experiment where several mice were forced into a form of induced super-hibernation and their cells virtually shut down to the point that their oxygen intake was minimized. You could hypothesize that the response to hypoxia during the early stages of cardiac arrest is similar, the body trying to maximize its use of the oxygen by going into a methabolic depression. However, the thing is that their cells were certainly alive, but in this stasis their functions were impaired to a standstill... Which is exactly the opposite of what you want if trying to justify NDEs that way. Its really questionable to what extent these "sleeping" cells could coordinate, nevermind being able to support even base levels of consciousness. As a matter of fact, even in natural hibernation consciousness is diminished despite the cells being more active.

Last edited: