"Science" celebrity Brian Cox and interviewer do a classic pseudo-skeptical dance

Saiko

What are your thoughts on conspiracy theories—that the moon landing was faked, for example?
If you’re idiotic enough to think that we didn’t land on the moon, then you’re idiotic enough to mess up crossing the road. So there’s a Darwinian element there. But it does become a problem if these conspiracy theories then start distrusting science in general—vaccination policy, nutrition, or climate change. These are serious issues that deserve serious treatment.
http://www.vice.com/read/professor-brian-cox-interview-172

The moves for this dance:

1 Take a question about something non-mainstream and isolate what you think as its most outlandish.
- all people who don't buy all the official lines believe there was no moon landing
2 Using that reduction label all such people (hence of course their viewpoints) as being not even worthy of consideration.
- those people are just basically idiots
3 (this one is a beauty and relatively new) Propose that those people are not to blame. Natural selection has made them idiots.
4 Conclude in an appropriate pseudo open-minded fashion. You don't mind "those people" - just as long as they aren't taken seriously.​

I agree with him that thinking the moon landings are fake is silly. But how you link that to being incapable of crossing the road is beyond me. In any case, I prefer David Attenborough as a science communicator. Much more dignified, respectful, and indeed likeable. He narrates a nature show and he educates. Brian Cox I feel just talks to you in the style of "I'm smart, you're nowhere near as clever as me. So sit down and listen as I talk slowly to you."

But how you link that to being incapable of crossing the road is beyond me.

I'm sure its a social engineering trick; create a false equivalence and then rely on guilt by association for the "related" thing. Its kind of like the social engineering that goes behind making changes you can't prove are better: just tell people they are "afraid of change" or "you just don't like it because its different" and then refuse to ever yield to assertions that the change is not actually better or worth the transition cost.

I agree with him that thinking the moon landings are fake is silly.
What you think about that specific issue is not the point. The point is taking something one disagrees with, turning it into a point of ridicule and then expanding that to state that people who posit anything that's outside one's own ken are not worthwhile of paying attention to.

BTW, correct or incorrect, the notion of the moon landings being fake is no more silly than many things that you, I or anyone believes.

.... The point is taking something one disagrees with, turning it into a point of ridicule and then expanding that to state that people who posit anything that's outside one's own ken are not worthwhile of paying attention to.

Anyone (outside of the Banned of Seven) see the irony here?

Anyone (outside of the Banned of Seven) see the irony here?
For myself, and others not as sharp as you, please point out said irony. Of course that would mean that you're interested in doing more than attempting a silly and inaccurate insult. A cheap way for you to avoid posting a stupid outright lie.

Explain the irony? I can't think of anything more dull... In any event, it's way sweeter if you're not even seeing it.

Explain the irony? I can't think of anything more dull... In any event, it's way sweeter if you're not even seeing it.
lol. Good cop out. I see what you in pathetic fashion are attempting to do. If you were paying attention you'd see that it was mocked and called. Of course the fact that in your mind there's irony makes it unlikely you'd pick up on being mocked.

Oh and if you want to play the snark/sarc games with me - you will be squashed. Better to just state your criticisms plain and upfront. That way it becomes something maybe we can all learn from. I'd prefer that than having to, metaphorically, wipe your ectoplasm off my shoes.

Last edited:
lol. Good cop out. I see what you in pathetic fashion are attempting to do. If you were paying attention you'd see that it was mocked and called. Of course the fact that in your mind there's irony makes it unlikely you'd pick up on being mocked.

Oh and if you want to play the snark/sarc games with me - you will be squashed. Better to just state your criticisms plain and upfront. That way it becomes something maybe we can all learn from. I'd prefer that than having to, metaphorically, wipe your ectoplasm off my shoes.

roflmao.gif

Back