Scientists Find Hints for the Immortality of the Soul

EthanT

@ghost This one is for you ;-) Isn't this all similar to what you've been saying?

When planning I imagine that I have written my existence in this world on a sort of hard drive on the tangible (the brain), that I have also transferred this data onto the spiritual quantum field, then I could say that when I die, I do not lose this information, this consciousness. The body dies but the spiritual quantum field continues. In this way, I am immortal.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/rol...or-the-immortality-of-the-soul_b_5499969.html

... Nuclear physicist and molecular biologist Jeremy Hayward of Cambridge University makes no secret of his convictions either: "Many scientists who are still part of the scientific mainstream are no longer afraid to openly state that consciousness / awareness could, in addition to space, time, matter and energy, be a fundamental element of the world - perhaps even more fundamental than space and time. It may be a mistake to ban the spirit from nature." It is even questioned as to whether matter should be considered a fundamental element of the universe.

... Nuclear physicist and molecular biologist Jeremy Hayward of Cambridge University makes no secret of his convictions either: "Many scientists who are still part of the scientific mainstream are no longer afraid to openly state that consciousness / awareness could, in addition to space, time, matter and energy, be a fundamental element of the world - perhaps even more fundamental than space and time. It may be a mistake to ban the spirit from nature." It is even questioned as to whether matter should be considered a fundamental element of the universe.

I'm not sure I've ever seen "convictions" so equivocal... ;)

It's probably for the better that people don't jump right into seeming too certain about this, as otherwise the status quo will mobilize to discredit and debunk them as quickly as possible.

Thanks for the link Ethan.

IIRC Ian Thompson, who runs the New Dualism site, is a nuclear physicist. Would be curious what he thinks about this. Ideally this works:

Sciborg Casts Summon Forum Member -> @Ian Thompson

Remaining Mana: 14/20

Nah, sadly I'm more old school than that - Quest for Glory 1-5, Might & Magic 2-5, Ultima 6-8, D&D...maybe a bit of Diablo.

Nothing wrong with old school! I used to play D&D when it was literally a role-playing game, lol. Haven't played too many other games, but an ankle injury a few years back got me seriously hooked on WoW. Thankfully, I was able to uninstall it a few months back, hehe.

Nothing wrong with old school! I used to play D&D when it was literally a role-playing game, lol. Haven't played too many other games, but an ankle injury a few years back got me seriously hooked on WoW. Thankfully, I was able to uninstall it a few months back, hehe.

I've spent an ungodly amount of money on D&D despite playing it only 3-4 times in my life. Loved the different settings - Greyhawk, Darksun, Spelljammer, Ravenloft, Planescape, and so on. Would buy the Monstrous Compendiums and Box Sets and just read through them. Thankfully my sister enjoyed the paperback novels (Dragonlance obviously & some others) and artwork despite hating the actual game, so at least I could talk to her about it so long as I didn't go too into detail about settings.

I was actually a bit crushed when Dragon Magazine ceased publication...

I've spent an ungodly amount of money on D&D despite playing it only 3-4 times in my life. Loved the different settings - Greyhawk, Darksun, Spelljammer, Ravenloft, Planescape, and so on. Would buy the Monstrous Compendiums and Box Sets and just read through them. Thankfully my sister enjoyed the paperback novels (Dragonlance obviously & some others) and artwork despite hating the actual game, so at least I could talk to her about it so long as I didn't go too into detail about settings.

I was actually a bit crushed when Dragon Magazine ceased publication...

I can't even remember much about D&D from when I played it, was maybe 25+ years ago. But, I think we spent a lot of money on it too! Remember a lot of books with beautiful artwork and seems like some funny-number-sized dies were used.

But, at least D&D wasn't $15/month like WoW!

I can't even remember much about D&D from when I played it, was maybe 25+ years ago. But, I think we spent a lot of money on it too! Remember a lot of books with beautiful artwork and seems like some funny-number-sized dies were used.

But, at least D&D wasn't $15/month like WoW!

Ethan, the 5th Edition of D&D comes out this week! I work at a game and comic store.

I didn't understand a single word of that article.

To be honest, they lost me at the first sentence, lol. The quantum field theoretic perspective pretty much says the wave-particle duality is just an appearance and a limited one at that. So, I don't think it's a good comparison to body-soul/mind, imho, since wave-particle duality doesn't represent anything fundamental, or "real"

What I found most intriguing is what I bolded above ... more and more scientists considering that consciousness is probably a fundamental entity to reality. Until they figure out how, I expect to read lots of crazy ideas, some that probably won't make much sense to me!

Back