Sex

I have long thought that sex can tell us a lot about the mind!

First of all, the motivation is intense and yet incredibly elusive. I mean, imagine a typical discussion with a sceptic:

NS: So can you imagine an artificial intelligent program that could handle a discussion about sex?

S: Why sure - it would really be about the urge to reproduce, and the program would try to assess the suitability of potential mates for reproduction.

NS: Yes, but a lot of sex is had in ways that deliberately avoid the possibility of reproduction.

S: Well humans have patches of erogenous skin, and they like them stimulated even in the absence of the opportunity to reproduce!

NS: Yes but humans almost always prefer actual sex with another person, even when there is danger involved in obtaining it, and reproduction is out of the question! How would you deal with that in an AI program?

S: Well I suppose you would just add a primitive drive to have sex and leave it at that!

NS: Yes, but people often think about sex - it isn't an indivisible idea - your program would have to reproduce (if you pardon the pun) that thought process! There is something else, sex seems wound into our whole way of life in a hard to define sort of way!

S: Well at least I am sure animals go about sex in a much simpler way!

NS: I don't know, because reproduction is vital for the survival of the species, and according to orthodox evolutionary theory, that means the mechanism can only evolve very slowly. Therefore I expect animals also have a complex thought process involved with sex!

S: Well maybe AI should stick to restaurant scenes for now - we can tackle sex later!

David

David Deida writes on the topic of not ejaculating . . . His book, The Blue Truth, is a good read.

I have long thought that sex can tell us a lot about the mind!

First of all, the motivation is intense and yet incredibly elusive. I mean, imagine a typical discussion with a sceptic:

NS: So can you imagine an artificial intelligent program that could handle a discussion about sex?

S: Why sure - it would really be about the urge to reproduce, and the program would try to assess the suitability of potential mates for reproduction.

NS: Yes, but a lot of sex is had in ways that deliberately avoid the possibility of reproduction.

S: Well humans have patches of erogenous skin, and they like them stimulated even in the absence of the opportunity to reproduce!

NS: Yes but humans almost always prefer actual sex with another person, even when there is danger involved in obtaining it, and reproduction is out of the question! How would you deal with that in an AI program?

S: Well I suppose you would just add a primitive drive to have sex and leave it at that!

NS: Yes, but people often think about sex - it isn't an indivisible idea - your program would have to reproduce (if you pardon the pun) that thought process! There is something else, sex seems wound into our whole way of life in a hard to define sort of way!

S: Well at least I am sure animals go about sex in a much simpler way!

NS: I don't know, because reproduction is vital for the survival of the species, and according to orthodox evolutionary theory, that means the mechanism can only evolve very slowly. Therefore I expect animals also have a complex thought process involved with sex!

S: Well maybe AI should stick to restaurant scenes for now - we can tackle sex later!

David

Love this :)

Back