Shared Death Experiences

I am currently reading Glimpses of Eternity by Raymond Moody which looks at shared death experience.

I am maybe more impressed with this as evidence of Consciousness surviving Death, than even NDE's.

How can you explain healthy people, who's brain is not suffering any of the usual 'excuses' ,experiencing the same things usually kept for the individual suffering the trauma ?

Anyone have any other resources? Comments ?

Steve

Last edited:
I wanted to post an example from the book, but I am having problems copying/pasting. There are some amazing accounts, sometimes featuring a number of members of families.

What's interesting about the SDE as per Moody (not other definitions) is the remarkable similarities to OBE, astral travel, NDEs, physical mediumship (materialization) and past life/interlife regression. The SDE is like a mix n match of all them.

There is the energy shifting with vibrational effects which release the body (OBE), geometric, material space distortions (alike spherical sight in OBE/AT), misting (ectoplasmic clouding and spirit formation), floating and downsightedness (OBE, NDE); plane or dimensional boundaries (OBE/AT), life review (interlife and past life regression), formed and formless ray and light beings (AT, NDE, ILR, PM)...etc.

10m

Ian Gordon

Ninshub
Steve, it's another incredibly strong argument for the objective reality of the phenomena, that often gets ignored. Of course, you also get shared deathbed visions and shared After-Death Communications. Melvin Morse also had some early accounts in Parting Visions (1994) and Peter Fenwick also has some in The Art of Dying (2008).

Yep, I read it, too, and I agree that SDE's are the strongest evidence for the afterlife, given that they completely invalidate all that yapping by the meat-robot paradigm enthusiasts about anoxia, hypoxia anf the rest of skeptical nonsense.
That is one of the thing that are so tiresome discussing NDE´s with skeptics, that they focus on ONE single issue within the whole field of experience and they grind that up and down without taking in the whole spectrum and picture of the wide area of the near death experience, which contains accounts that contradicts or disprove the angle the skeptics work on on that SINGLE "cherry" they choose to pick to grind on that certain day.

Either they are badly informed and ignorant on the whole spectrum of the NDE-field, OR they know it very well but CHOOSE to leave out facts and reports that contradicts their debunking-angle on a particular subject..
If you know what I mean.

That is one of the thing that are so tiresome discussing NDE´s with skeptics, that they focus on ONE single issue within the whole field of experience... one SINGLE "cherry" they choose to pick to grind on that certain day.

Either they are badly informed and ignorant on the whole spectrum of the NDE-field, OR they know it very well but CHOOSE to leave out facts and reports that contradicts their debunking-angle on a particular subject.
[Pseudo]skeptics choose dishonesty, lies, fact contortion, purposefully disingenuous debate techniques and tactics? To do what?

Misdirect folks from the most important tasks of personal spiritual development, the central (only) reason we exist in this material world? That they would choose to interfere in our spiritual learning processes? To win a stupid forum debate?

You're kidding us. Yes?

Yep, I read it, too, and I agree that SDE's are the strongest evidence for the afterlife, given that they completely invalidate all that yapping by the meat-robot paradigm enthusiasts about anoxia, hypoxia anf the rest of skeptical nonsense.
Strongest?

Only if you haven't talked to your fully materialized Mother for 30 minutes in seance.

I am currently reading Glimpses of Heaven, by Raymond Moody which looks at shared death experience.

I am maybe more impressed with this as evidence of Consciousness surviving Death, than even NDE's.

How can you explain healthy people, who's brain is not suffering any of the usual 'excuses' ,experiencing the same things usually kept for the individual suffering the trauma ?

Steve
I just did a search and didn't find such a title. What come up is "Glimpses of Eternity"

As for "explaining" I take the experiences of those who have "trauma" as being as valid as those who don't.

Sorry, I've changed the title.

As for "explaining" I take the experiences of those who have "trauma" as being as valid as those who don't.
The point I was making was that it is easier for skeptics to find medical related excuses for people who may be on their death bed and are for example heavily medicated or in a coma, or other medical related difficulty, than finding reasons why healthy people see vivid visions and experience strong emotions, as per NDE's.

I still keep my mind open with regards to whether my STE around the age of 11-12, was in fact an SDE with my grandfather (as opposed to a DBV). Unfortunately I have no dates for my STE so can't really look into it further, although it was around this time.

I returned from comprehensive school one day to find lots of people in the house who I had never seen before, relatives of my dad it turns out, most of whom who had come up from Birmingham for the funeral of my dads father (my grandfather). I was puzzled by this and asked why weren't they having the funeral in Birmingham? Only to be told that my grandfather had during the whole of my life, lived just a few streets away from us...

My dad and his father had become completely estranged at an early age, as his father had been violent to his wife (my dads mother) on one too many occasions. I had never met my grandfather, and never knew he had lived just a few streets away from me.

In later years I was told that my grandfather had apparently died in 'digs', in a single dirty room with wooden floorboards and no carpet, a single iron bed, and underneath his mattress, a small biscuit box that contained a few trinkets, and a few pounds. All he owned in the world apparently. A very sad and tragic story. In some ways I wish my STE was an SDE with my grandfather whom I had never met, because it was a very very beautiful experience.

I am currently reading Glimpses of Eternity by Raymond Moody which looks at shared death experience.

Steve
Hi, there is this with Ray Moody at Bioethics 2012. It's number 4 on day 1. Kind of a life history as well.

http://www.btci.org/bioethics/2012/videos2012/default.html

I still keep my mind open with regards to whether my STE around the age of 11-12, was in fact an SDE with my grandfather (as opposed to a DBV). Unfortunately I have no dates for my STE so can't really look into it further, although it was around this time.

I returned from comprehensive school one day to find lots of people in the house who I had never seen before, relatives of my dad it turns out, most of whom who had come up from Birmingham for the funeral of my dads father (my grandfather). I was puzzled by this and asked why weren't they having the funeral in Birmingham? Only to be told that my grandfather had during the whole of my life, lived just a few streets away from us...

My dad and his father had become completely estranged at an early age, as his father had been violent to his wife (my dads mother) on one too many occasions. I had never met my grandfather, and never knew he had lived just a few streets away from me.
This is pretty amazing, because I had a kind of similar situation with my grandfather, on my mothers side, who after my grandmothers death remarried with a really manipulating and evil bitch who managed to distance my grandfather from our family and his daughter. She also managed to ruin him financially. He was old and I guess was afraid to be alone and saw this marriage as a saviour from loneliness after my grandmother passed away, but in the end he was fooled out of his money and his daughter.

The amazing thing though is that he lived just a couple of blocks away from us, and I was never told about him while growing up. Only when I was older and he had already died I found out. Sad story, but it struck me how similar in a way our stories where.

Tyler Snotgern said: (go to post)
Strongest?
Only if you haven't talked to your fully materialized Mother for 30 minutes in seance.

Strongest as in "witnessed by a third party"
Ring up George Cranley @ zerdini's world.com. Or dozens of others who yet survive the Golden Age of materialization mediumship.

You'll find 3rd, 4th and 20th parties to these ectoplasmic driven events. Full form, distinct conversations with spirits who have come from the afterlife to visit with incarnate friends, relatives, loved ones and family.

It'll shock ya'. Or it should.

I wanted to post an example from the book, but I am having problems copying/pasting. There are some amazing accounts, sometimes featuring a number of members of families.
If its an e-book, it may be set not to allow copy/paste. There are ways around this (taking a screenshot and then running that through an OCR; some of these are free.) Some publishers set it so you can't copy/paste the book out to a Word document and pirate it, but it does make legitimate quotations annoying.

This is pretty amazing, because I had a kind of similar situation with my grandfather, on my mothers side, who after my grandmothers death remarried with a really manipulating and evil bitch who managed to distance my grandfather from our family and his daughter. She also managed to ruin him financially. He was old and I guess was afraid to be alone and saw this marriage as a saviour from loneliness after my grandmother passed away, but in the end he was fooled out of his money and his daughter.

The amazing thing though is that he lived just a couple of blocks away from us, and I was never told about him while growing up. Only when I was older and he had already died I found out. Sad story, but it struck me how similar in a way our stories where.
Often odd things, families... well they are in my case anyway. In my experience, if you feel that not being told about your grandfather was somewhat strange behavior on the part of your parents, then it probably was. Although there may have been difficult issues between your mother and her father, but you were innocent of it all, and it's sad that you never got to have any contact with him. I reckon the overwhelming majority of grandaddies enjoy some contact with their grandsons. I never had any contact with my granddaddies on either side (never knew they were even alive, until after they died), which I think was the wrong decision by my parents, and probably for everybody else concerned.

Hi, there is this with Ray Moody at Bioethics 2012. It's number 4 on day 1. Kind of a life history as well.

http://www.btci.org/bioethics/2012/videos2012/default.html
Thanks Keith!

Very interesting, has Moody made any presentation since then commenting on the reason for his 'unease' during this lecture ? (As mentioned right at the end)

I would love to hear such a story first hand, I have no doubt these (many) people are telling the truth, but I feel it would have much more impact if you could hear and see any emotion for yourself. So far I have not had any success in my attempts to find any NDE/SDE experiencers in person, although it shouldn't be that difficult in theory ? (Assuming some small percentage have actually had them). Maybe they still feel hesitant to 'reveal' themselves, or I have to find a way of asking more people. I think I am really quite open about questions that might be personal or seen as controversial , perhaps other people are more wary ? Why the hell is he asking about that ?

I get the impression that people in the US are more aware of these type of things compared to the UK ? Might be totally wrong though !

Last edited:
Thanks Keith!

Very interesting, has Moody made any presentation since then commenting on the reason for his 'unease' during this lecture ? (As mentioned right at the end)

I would love to hear such a story first hand, I have no doubt these (many) people are telling the truth, but I feel it would have much more impact if you could hear and see any emotion for yourself. So far I have not had any success in my attempts to find any NDE/SDE experiencers in person, although it shouldn't be that difficult in theory ? (Assuming some small percentage have actually had them). Maybe they still feel hesitant to 'reveal' themselves, or I have to find a way of asking more people. I think I am really quite open about questions that might be personal or seen as controversial , perhaps other people are more wary ? Why the hell is he asking about that ?

I get the impression that people in the US are more aware of these type of things compared to the UK ? Might be totally wrong though !
I just don't know about your first point, sorry!
Re meeting people I would guess the best thing would be to go to conferences on NDEs. But how to find these? If you are in the UK - then the Society for Psychical Research in London is a good contact point, maybe also for meeting people who have had experiences. http://www.spr.ac.uk/main/
and they have regular meetings which I've been to a few. You can drop them an e-mail.

I've met a really senior researcher on NDEs at the SPR - Dr. David Rousseau, who publishes extensively, so he could help. His details on the Web. Cheers! :)

Thanks Keith!

I would say your best bet is to attend either an IANDS conference or a local IANDS meeting.

This is a video of Moody from the 2011 conference in Durham NC.