Shifting Assumptions in Science

• Thread starter Sciborg_S_Patel
  • Start date
S

Sciborg_S_Patel

Selected discussions from the 'Hokkaido-8' symposium of July 2008 on Evolving Science. The theme of the discussions was the evolution of science from its current form, with its materialistic emphasis, to a more inclusive global form, integrating all aspects of knowledge. Discussion participants: Osman Bakar, Brian Josephson, Yasuhiko Genku Kimura, Manjir Samanta-Laughton, Elisabet Sahtouris (convener), Akio Shoji, Enoé Texier, William Tiller and Caroline Ward (facilitator).
Videoing: Aleph Inc.; editing: Brian Josephson, Manjir Samanta-Laughton and Elisabet Sahtouris

Alternative site including transcript: http://sms.cam.ac.uk/media/687386 (Google's quirky attempt at integrating the transcript with the video is now available here also -- it can be switched on or off using the CC button).

Brian_the_bard

Lost Pilgrim
An interesting point in the transcript - "we leave emotions outside" The assumption of course is that anything non-physical can't be real but the fact that we experience them makes them real. I would like to see a future where parapsychology, properly done, is considered a real science to model the experiences that physical sciences can't. In fact, it might push the physical sciences to be more open to better interpretations of what physical evidence exists.

I would like to see a future where parapsychology, properly done, is considered a real science to model the experiences that physical sciences can't...
Isn't that also what psychology is supposed to do?

We've ended up with two separate disciplines... psychology and para-psychology which both deal with mental states, emotions and extra-sensory stuff (intuition, dreams etc...) but with slightly different philosophical premises.

Btw, reading the wiki page on parapsychology is still a cringe-worthy experience :eek:

S

Sciborg_S_Patel

An interesting point in the transcript - "we leave emotions outside" The assumption of course is that anything non-physical can't be real but the fact that we experience them makes them real. I would like to see a future where parapsychology, properly done, is considered a real science to model the experiences that physical sciences can't. In fact, it might push the physical sciences to be more open to better interpretations of what physical evidence exists.
"It is my personal opinion that in the science of the future reality will neither be “psychic” nor “physical” but somehow both and somehow neither."
-Wolfgang Pauli letter to Abraham Pais