Spoon bending video

Paul C. Anagnostopoulos

Nap, interrupted.
The following video includes a spoon bending starting at 21:30.

Does anyone think the person is doing anything other than bending the spoon by force?

~~ Paul

It's the claims of spoons etc bending on their own that is of interest to me, and on that basis this is not a very good demonstration.

I also found it terrible that you can hear the host in the background suggesting that the inability to bend the spoon back has some sort of significance. This was a common circus trick, a strongman would bend a piece of metal, and challenge anybody in the audience that if they could bend the metal back, they would give them £10, of course no one could.

When you bend a piece of metal, natural dislocations in the crystal structure allow the metal to deform easily, however during the bending these dislocations get tangled up, increasing the strength of the material. This is commonly known as strain hardening.

When you bend a piece of metal, natural dislocations in the crystal structure allow the metal to deform easily, however during the bending these dislocations get tangled up, increasing the strength of the material. This is commonly known as strain hardening.
My guess in this case is that the person wasn't trying very hard to bend it back. Even so, it was bent back a bit.

~~ Paul

I'm going to have a try at metal bending myself over the holidays... I'm trying to be open minded... and I'm intrigued by this technique of "...sudden inattention..." to get results.

The following video includes a spoon bending starting at 21:30.

~~ Paul
"Does anyone think the person is doing anything other than bending the spoon by force?"

It all depends on how thick the metal was. I went to a spoon bending workshop once where women mangled spoons and forks into twisted heaps but the cutlery was so thin and pliable I could not confirm that it wasn't done by physical force. On the other hand a friend of mine attended a pk party at JFK university back in the eighties and came home with a thick silver spoon that was tightly rolled up like a piece of tape. I couldn't even begin to unroll it or image how anyone could have put it in that condition through conventional means.
On another occasion I witnessed your favorite guy Uri Geller - hold a spoon by the end of the handle where you could see the entire spoon. He gently stroked the spoon with his index finger on his other hand with the length of the spoon being visible. At one point I and the audience witnessed the spoon waving as if it was dematerializing and then it snapped in two with a loud pop and landed a few feet away from him. Pretty good trick huh!

Last edited:
Back