Suspensions, Bannings, and Post Deletions

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's the word offended I object to. I'm not offended by anyone who posts here. I do however get irritated with people sometimes, and I can be very straightforward about that. The reason I took a short break from the forum was on a matter of principle: having the dislike option meant that people could form political cadres: something that already goes on in the climate controversy. Don't engage the arguments, but call people deniers: pure ad hominem, the last resort of the inarticulate. Right from the start I made the decision not to click the dislike option for anyone, not even the most rabid sceptic, and made that known. But people, knowing that, carried on doing it with intention of trying to needle me. Well, they did needle me, but not for the reason they supposed. I wasn't irritated by their dislikes per se, but by the level to which discussion had descended.

If the dislike option had reappeared, I might well not have returned to the forum. The thought of people using the dislike button as a political weapon, by no means only against me, just lowered the tone of the whole thing and took away a large part of the enjoyment. People can call me black and blue and I won't be offended: they may well get as good as they give. But people playing silly games by clicking a button in lieu of speaking their minds is extremely irritating. I mean, you've just slung a brickbat at me and I haven't been offended, have I? Nor have I set you on ignore. You've spoken your mind, and that's okay; and as a matter of fact you've not even irritated me.

Offended, as I understand the word, is what my grannie would have been if someone had showed their backside to her: it would have challenged her dignity. Irritated, on the other hand, is what happens when someone rings my doorbell and then runs away. It's not a question of my dignity, but of their childishness.

You're right. Irritated is a much better word to describe it. I guess I thought offensive was a little more offensive, and I wanted to test the waters a bit. I actually felt anxious about coming back here and reading your reply. I'm not sure why. Guess I didn't feel the need for a severe undressing. But to my relief...

I don't like it when people misuse the like option (or don't use it at all). I actually don't know how it can be misused, but it can be overused. Like sometimes I feel good about myself after receiving a like from, say, Sciborg. But then I think, well he likes everything so it doesn't mean much. Then I go back to feeling miserable about myself. Sometimes I think the likes I receive are really just pity-likes.. So it's a no win situation for me, which is why I sometimes think the no-likers show wisdom in their hands-off style. I need to be more of a taoist and let nature take its natural course.

Again, there was no info about these bannings from the mods. Perhaps if anyone is in contact with PJ or Bro they could pass on the details of the ban to Paul. He seemed to post when ... uhm... A little 'over refreshed' on occasion? Frankly, we're all better of without him.

Which one seemed a little over refreshed on occasion?

This thread is for posting suspensions, bannings, and post deletions, along with the reasons for them. Please take discussions of these actions to another thread.

The following members are banned from posting in the Skeptiko Show, Consciousness & Science, Extended Consciousness & Spirituality, and Explorers & Implementers forum:

• Arouet
  • Dakota Rider
  • fls
  • Kay
  • malf
  • Paul C. Anagnostopoulos
  • steve001

Bart should also be on this list.

You're right. Irritated is a much better word to describe it. I guess I thought offensive was a little more offensive, and I wanted to test the waters a bit. I actually felt anxious about coming back here and reading your reply. I'm not sure why. Guess I didn't feel the need for a severe undressing. But to my relief...

I don't like it when people misuse the like option (or don't use it at all). I actually don't know how it can be misused, but it can be overused. Like sometimes I feel good about myself after receiving a like from, say, Sciborg. But then I think, well he likes everything so it doesn't mean much. Then I go back to feeling miserable about myself. Sometimes I think the likes I receive are really just pity-likes.. So it's a no win situation for me, which is why I sometimes think the no-likers show wisdom in their hands-off style. I need to be more of a taoist and let nature take its natural course.

Heh. I've decided I like you, FDR, so unless you're very naughty indeed, I'm not going to turn the spigot on full blast.

That thing about likes: I try to be judicious with the ones I give for the reason you mention--give too many, and they lose their meaning. I reserve them for the posts I genuinely like, so anyone getting a like from me can rest assured that I'm being sincere. I hope the likes I get are offered in the same spirit, but whatever, I always try to regard them as offered in that spirit lest I become even more of a curmudgeonly old bugger than I already am.:)

From now on whenever I want to write a comment in a thread, i will actually write the comment here in this thread, then simply provide a link to the comment where I should've placed the comment initially. This way, all my comments will be in one place. I like it in here and I don't really see the purpose in leaving my comfort zone if I don't have to. I might not even even post links to my comments in threads. And I might end up only doing general commentary on various members and topics from the safety of this local.

Reactions: K9!
You know when you take a sack a coins to the bank to be deposited, along with the deposit slip you're always handed back that Canadian coin that got mixed in with your shit and didn't make the cut?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back