Sylvia Browne dead

Here's the Huff Po version, complete with JREF nonsense:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/21/sylvia-browne_n_4317470.html?ref=topbar

I'm quoted at the end of the article for whatever it's worth.

Psychic Craig Weiler said Browne's memory in his community will have mixed reviews.

"Some of the people in the intellectual community who lean toward the psychic side of things did not think much of her," he told HuffPost. "But in order for a psychic to rise to the level of fame she did, they have to be good. In the beginning, she had to be good enough to distinguish herself from the others.

"That said, people are complicated. Skeptics aren't all evil and she's not all good."

She was a fraud. We should ignore her and her followers.

Selfish and malicious persons like Browne will only ruin the reputation of honest mediums and those who research them.

Selfish and malicious persons like Browne will only ruin the reputation of honest mediums and those who research them.
How do you know? Much of what was written about her came from JREF and CSI people as well as some real card carrying nutjobs. Anytime a psychic gets really famous they always draw a whole lot of criticism. So what?

I know the kind of people who follow people like her. They're very gentle sorts. Browne herself founded a church which was a version universalist unitarianism, which is probably the least egotistical religious viewpoint there is. Most of her money went there.

How do you know? Much of what was written about her came from JREF and CSI people as well as some real card carrying nutjobs. Anytime a psychic gets really famous they always draw a whole lot of criticism. So what?

I know the kind of people who follow people like her. They're very gentle sorts. Browne herself founded a church which was a version universalist unitarianism, which is probably the least egotistical religious viewpoint there is. Most of her money went there.

I haven't read anything that CSI people etc. wrote about her.

You should read this Michael Prescott's blog post about Browne:
http://michaelprescott.typepad.com/...he-archives-the-unsinkable-sylvia-browne.html

People who follow her are gullible, but they are probably good and gentle people. Browne was a fraud, and she exploited those people.

Here you can read about her fake NDE:
http://www.near-death.com/experiences/paranormal07.html

http://michaelprescott.typepad.com/...he-archives-the-unsinkable-sylvia-browne.html

People who follow her are gullible, but they are probably good and gentle people. Browne was a fraud, and she exploited those people.

Great. So we know that she wasn't all that great in the spotlight and was a tireless self promoter. Just like a lot of other famous people. How about the other 99% of her life when she was out of the spotlight? Was she just as bad, or did she perform a lot better when she wasn't under all that pressure?

I think you have to judge people their whole lives, not just a tiny fraction. Since I don't know anything about her beyond what I saw in public, I don't feel that I have enough information to truly evaluate her as a person.

Prescott's brain wanders into areas where he thinks he knows what he's speaking of but truly hasn't a clue.

Is a medium a fake because they are incorrect? How many times must a medium be accurate to not be a fake and who is keeping the tally?

Was Sylvia Browne often a clown? Yeppers. Was she often correct with predictions and spirit communications? Oh yeah. I struggled through her book, I wouldn't walk across and empty street to listen to her but to write her off as completely fraudulent is simply inaccurate.

Just like she often was.

Great. So we know that she wasn't all that great in the spotlight and was a tireless self promoter. Just like a lot of other famous people. How about the other 99% of her life when she was out of the spotlight? Was she just as bad, or did she perform a lot better when she wasn't under all that pressure?

I think you have to judge people their whole lives, not just a tiny fraction. Since I don't know anything about her beyond what I saw in public, I don't feel that I have enough information to truly evaluate her as a person.

I don't know Anders Breivik personally. I don't know anything about his private life. Nevertheless, I can say that he is a despicable person because of his actions.

Sylvia Browne was a fraud. She exploited gullible people. She lied about her NDE and tried to poison people's minds with her detrimental ideas.

Prescott's brain wanders into areas where he thinks he knows what he's speaking of but truly hasn't a clue.

Did you read that blog post? Is there something that you disagree with? If you disagree with something that Prescott wrote in that blog post, then you should tell us, what is it exactly that you disagree with, and why?

I don't know Anders Breivik personally. I don't know anything about his private life. Nevertheless, I can say that he is a despicable person because of his actions.

Sylvia Browne was a fraud. She exploited gullible people. She lied about her NDE and tried to poison people's minds with her detrimental ideas.
Well it's good to know that anecdotal evidence is acceptable to you. I'll keep that in mind.

Did you read that blog post? Is there something that you disagree with?

It was a for all purposes a one-sided blogslap which Prescott is fully entitled to do. He's done this before and had to retract ala David Thompson's mediumship. Again, he's without strong footing about how to assess physical mediumship especially materialization mediumship.

If you disagree with something that Prescott wrote in that blog post, then you should tell us, what is it exactly that you disagree with, and why?
I disagree with his assessment of today's youth being less enlightened and justifying his stance by claiming, without any proof, that they are more ill-mannered. He's making crap up.

Which is reflected in his wanderings about Indigo kids, he hasn't a clue what he does or does not believe about them.

Judge Sylvia Browne any way that you want, personally I find this entire judgment business to be a waste of time and borders on megalomania.

Last edited:

I had a big problem with Sylvia Browne myself... she did more harm than good... but to categorically state she is a fraud is probably not fair.

I have friends that knew Sylvia well before she was the Sylvia most people saw... and told me she was one of the most talented Mediums they had seen and worked with. These same people also showed videos of Sylvia Browne readings to show us what we should never become in a reading. She definitely at some stage changed but I am not sure "fraud and deceiving people" was part of the reason.

To me she was someone who's ego got the better of her and did the one thing all Psychics and Mediums should never do. She always believed she was right and rule #1 to becoming a great medium is to admit that sometimes you are wrong and that you just can't connect. She refused to acknowledge where she was wrong and just kept digging bigger and bigger holes for herself.

When someone tells you "What happened to my son" it's ok to say "I'm sorry I don't know". She couldn't do that... but I tell you what after spending so much time training with and watching other mediums she is no orphan there. 90% of them can't let go of their ego either.

Last edited by a moderator:
It was a for all purposes a one-sided blogslap which Prescott is fully entitled to do. He's done this before and had to retract ala David Thompson's mediumship. Again, he's without strong footing about how to assess physical mediumship especially materialization mediumship.

I disagree with his assessment of today's youth being less enlightened and justifying his stance by claiming, without any proof, that they are more ill-mannered. He's making crap up.

Which is reflected in his wanderings about Indigo kids, he hasn't a clue what he does or does not believe about them.

Judge Sylvia Browne any way that you want, personally I find this entire judgment business to be a waste of time and borders on megalomania.

David Thompson is a fraud.

Whether today's youth are more ill-mannered or not is irrelevant to this discussion.

That indigo children stuff is merely New Age nonsense.

Of course charlatans like Sylvia Browne and David Thompson should be judged. They were/are selfish and greedy frauds, and they exploit gullible people. They ruin the reputation of all those people who research these topics, and they ruin the reputation of honest mediums.

I never trusted Sylvia Browne. One could say a person doesn't become famous for nothing, but there's plenty of accurate psychics without the pizzazz or extortionist fees. Too white light, too expensive, and her name is dredged with suspicion because of her ex-husband(Yes, he could be lying but it still needs to be addressed). Well, I still hope peace on her at least. Con-artist or psychic, she is gone now.

David Thompson is a fraud.

You come to that opinion from sitting with him?

Oh wait, you didn't, I did.

If you disagree with something that Prescott wrote in his David Thompson posts, then you should tell us, what is it exactly that you disagree with, and why?

http://michaelprescott.typepad.com/michael_prescotts_blog/2008/08/rethinking-david-thompson.html

Prescott wrote in the above blogpost

"That said, it does appear that something paranormal is going on. I no longer think the hypothesis of outright fraud is plausible."

Raimo interjects "Whether today's youth are more ill-mannered or not is irrelevant to this discussion."

It's relevant to the question you asked, "If you disagree with something that Prescott wrote in that blog post, then you should tell us, what is it exactly that you disagree with, and why?"

That indigo children stuff is merely New Age nonsense.

You've investigated this thoroughly, have you? lulz

http://voiceofrussia.com/2013_01_17...-the-achievements-of-Russian-indigo-children/

Russian Scientists remark:

"In recent years the phrase ‘indigo-children’ has become a buzz-word for those youngsters whose intellectual potential significantly surpasses that of most adult scientists. While many remain skeptical towards the idea of the ‘genius youth’, one can hardly ignore the growing number of teenagers endowed with exceptional and often unprecedented talents in various spheres of science and humanities."

Raimo quips "Of course charlatans like Sylvia Browne and David Thompson should be judged. They were/are selfish and greedy frauds, and they exploit gullible people. They ruin the reputation of all those people who research these topics, and they ruin the reputation of honest mediums."

Judge away. It's your soul that blackens and your karma that's gonna get you.

Last edited:
Judge away. It's your soul that blackens and your karma that's gonna get you.

That is absurd. Are you saying that we shouldn't judge murderers and rapists? If there is such a thing as karma, then Sylvia Browne has to pay the price for her behavior.

I will not investigate indigo children nonsense. It would be a waste of time.

David Thompson's seances are held in total darkness. Therefore it is irrelevant, whether you attended one of his seances or not. You didn't see anything.

That is absurd. Are you saying that we shouldn't judge murderers and rapists? If there is such a thing as karma, then Sylvia Browne has to pay the price for her behavior.

I will not investigate indigo children nonsense. It would be a waste of time.

David Thompson's seances are held in total darkness. Therefore it is irrelevant, whether you attended one of his seances or not. You didn't see anything.
Straw man much?

Back