Mod+ Tactical Skepticism

Tactical skepticism is a term I just coined to describe believers who pretend to be skeptics because they are more credible and influential as skeptics than believers....

Macello Truzzi was a founder of CSICOP who left because he felt the organization was not assessing claims objectively. When he was confronted with his own successful remote viewing attempt he said:

http://monkeywah.typepad.com/paranormalia/2014/09/the-in-betweeners.html
There was a moment of silence as we both sat there remembering this experience. Then Marcello said, "I am much more effective and influential as a reasonable skeptic than as a convert." We never discussed it again.
I suspect there are a number of mainstream scientists who believe something unconventional about the area of their research but don't come right out and say it because it would ruin their career. Even though their prime motivation might be to preserve their career, they would also be tactical skeptics if their work challenges some orthodox view. For example, there may be quite a few tactical skeptics of intelligent design among biologists who are challenging Darwinism but are not openly proponents of ID.

Last edited:
Tactical skepticism is a term I just coined to describe believers who pretend to be skeptics because they are more credible and influential as skeptics than believers....

Macello Truzzi was a founder of CSICOP who left because he felt the organization was not assessing claims objectively. When he was confronted with his own successful remote viewing attempt he said:

http://monkeywah.typepad.com/paranormalia/2014/09/the-in-betweeners.html

I suspect there are a number of mainstream scientists who believe something unconventional about the area of their research but don't come right out and say it because it would ruin their career. Even though their prime motivation might be to preserve their career, they would also be tactical skeptics if their work challenges some orthodox view. For example, there may be quite a few tactical skeptics of intelligent design among biologists who are challenging Darwinism but are not openly proponents of ID.
I actually met such scientists at work - intersted in the paranormal, but afraid of "coming out" in public because of the potential damage to their reputation and community status.