The alt-right, PC speech and Islamic extremism

What evidence do you have for homosexuality being biological?
Have you seen Ian's post #136 above?

Priests don't rape children because they are lonely, or homosexual. They do it because they are evil.

Mmm. Are drug addicts evil?

I've no idea why priests or anyone else do evil things to children, but I am surprised at your lack of, to my thinking, Jesus like, thinking. You appear to want to give the priests a right kicking. Is that just me, or is my impression valid?

I wish we had some Muslim members here on the forum that could discuss this.

I'm sure we do - but they have outgrown that particular religion in a previous incarnation, not consciously remembered.

Mostly, present homosexual inclinations of the individual, are accounted for by recent past life - in an opposite gender body.

Have you seen Ian's post #136 above?
Yes, that's why I made the comments about god genes and similar faux data. I'm going on what gay people tell me, which is incidents in their life triggered something in them which oriented them subsequently. Were they fully formed homosexuals from the cradle, or have the potential for SSA aligned by life experiences? That's different from inter-sexuals who are raised in one gender but identify with another, Lady Colin Campbell for example.

Mmm. Are drug addicts evil?

I've no idea why priests or anyone else do evil things to children, but I am surprised at your lack of, to my thinking, Jesus like, thinking. You appear to want to give the priests a right kicking. Is that just me, or is my impression valid?
Drug addicts are naïve to the dangers of narcotics, or too psychologically weak to resist them. I wouldn't describe either as evil, though both may dispose people to evil influences like robbery and violence. The law doesn't excuse someone on a crystal meth binge who murders the proprietor of a convenience store, and neither would I.

I'm not God, so don't get to exercise the infinite mercy of grace. Any adult who sexually molests children partakes in the ultimate expression of the powerful over the powerless. When pastors offering divine mercy show none themselves, especially when they cynically abuse their position to systematically indulge themselves sexually, they've foregone any earthly sympathy. God's mercy is beyond my pay grade. I believe there are lines which are best not breeched for the sake of the individual and society as a whole, which is why I'm not a liberal or a relativist. The fact someone's instincts may lean them in those directions should not determine law or propriety. It would be difficult to criticise two consenting, cohabiting, socially equal adults of the same sex in a monogamous relationship, their arrangements tell us nothing about their ethics or contribution to society as a whole, and I'm not the person to do so. That's not entertainment sex, sex with vulnerable people, sex without responsibility. Those screw (sic) the individual up in a similar way to drugs, pushing the boundaries ever further until they are only answerable to themselves, which never works out well.

I'm sure we do - but they have outgrown that particular religion in a previous incarnation, not consciously remembered.

Maybe so. I was thinking that there may be some who are similar in thinking to the many Christian leanings that appear here.

To be honest I wouldn't be surprised if any that took a closer look at the forum didn't like what they saw.

Maybe so. I was thinking that there may be some who are similar in thinking to the many Christian leanings that appear here.

To be honest I wouldn't be surprised if any that took a closer look at the forum didn't like what they saw.
Remember this is only one small area of the board in which people who agree on the absurdity of metaphysical materialism, debate other things. Most casual onlookers are repelled by Skeptiko as anti-evolutionary, anti-scientific, anti-progressive, God-bothering nonsense without ever mentioning a deity. We shouldn't cater for sceptics, of anything.

My fascination with phantom black dogs, a well-attested phenomenon on the exotic borders of most peoples' interest, does not submit itself to my religious convictions for approval and won't submit to sceptical scrutiny for the same reason. Some people are offended by anything, and a successful society can't function by indulging puritanical sensibilities.

Yes, that's why I made the comments about god genes and similar faux data. I'm going on what gay people tell me, which is incidents in their life triggered something in them which oriented them subsequently.
Speaking for my own experience, I can't remember any gay person having told me that. I come across a fair amount of people's life stories in my work, and it's usually similar to heterosexuals - attraction to one sex that made itself felt at various ages (childhood to adolescence), with the difference that for gay people there was a cultural barrier to confront.

Speaking for my own experience, I can't remember any gay person having told me that. I come across a fair amount of people's life stories in my work, and it's usually similar to heterosexuals - attraction to one sex that made itself felt at various ages (childhood to adolescence), with the difference that for gay people there was a cultural barrier to confront.
I have to echo that. Worked at a LGBT vacation resort for years. Never had anyone tell me that a life incident somehow affected their feelings about attraction. Quite the opposite.

"My mother made me a homosexual" is something gay men say so often of overbearing matriarchs it has become a cliché. There's research that shows male children with three or more older male siblings show a vastly increased incidence of homosexuality. My first close gay friend said he was only aware of his homosexuality after an approach by an older male in a public lavatory. These cannot be exclusively biological. More likely is a predisposition awakened by environmental factors.

"My mother made me a homosexual" is something gay men say so often of overbearing matriarchs it has become a cliché. There's research that shows male children with three or more older male siblings show a vastly increased incidence of homosexuality. My first close gay friend said he was only aware of his homosexuality after an approach by an older male in a public lavatory. These cannot be exclusively biological. More likely is a predisposition awakened by environmental factors.
Yeah. Not so sure about that. Can you point to some sources where gay men say "My mother made me a homosexual?"

I think it is likely that lots of gay and straight people have overbearing mothers.

Yeah. Not so sure about that. Can you point to some sources where gay men say "My mother made me a homosexual?"

I think it is likely that lots of gay and straight people have overbearing mothers.
No. I mean if you genuinely want to know and don't know how to Google, you'll forgive me, but it seems like one of those forum errands people send each other on when they don't like what something someone says. I'm insisting the phrase had become archetypal enough to devolve into toilet wall humour. "My mother made me a homosexual" - "if I give her the wool will she make me one?", etc. Add the older sibling evidence and the anecdotes people take seriously hereabouts, and you're really going to have to check it out yourself.

No. I mean if you genuinely want to know and don't know how to Google, you'll forgive me, but it seems like one of those forum errands people send each other on when they don't like what something someone says. I'm insisting the phrase had become archetypal enough to devolve into toilet wall humour. "My mother made me a homosexual" - "if I give her the wool will she make me one?", etc. Add the older sibling evidence and the anecdotes people take seriously hereabouts, and you're really going to have to check it out yourself.
And that's basically a bullshit answer one gives when they can't back up something that is complete bullocks. I'm asking you to point to an actual memior, documentary or even perhaps a study that backs up what you are claiming. Believe me, googling "my mom made me gay" returns absolutely nothing of value.

I honestly don't care what you believe you know about LGBT folks. But when you start spouting crap for others to read, it needs to at least be addressed.

Please point to a single primary source where a gay person claims that they are gay because they have an overbearing mother.

Thanks.

And that's basically a bullshit answer one gives when they can't back up something that is complete bullocks. I'm asking you to point to an actual memior, documentary or even perhaps a study that backs up what you are claiming. Believe me, googling "my mom made me gay" returns absolutely nothing of value.

I honestly don't care what you believe you know about LGBT folks. But when you start spouting crap for others to read, it needs to at least be addressed.

Please point to a single primary source where a gay person claims that they are gay because they have an overbearing mother.

Thanks.
Bullshit or not my Google threw up pages of discussion on the issue of overbearing mothers, detached, hostile fathers, homosexuality and poor parent child relationships and debates from all sides. So to claim I just pulled it out my arse is not very smart. If I pick one you'll play the pseudosceptic and say that's not evidence, it's anecdote, so you'll have to go fishing yourself.

Just to be clear, I don't know the origins of homosexuality in human beings and I don't accept anyone else does. My claim is there's no more evidence of it being exclusively biological than of deism hiding in a coil of DNA.

Perhaps the reasons people are gay vary. I'm not sure why there would need to be a single cause for this - isn't it possible that people identify as gay for a whole range of reasons or factors and that no single factor triggers it? Maybe the sequence that led to a person being gay is almost unique to each individual?

Perhaps many people who identify as heterosexual would identify differently if they thought it would not adversely impact their lives?

Maybe the mother/early sexual experience/absent father line is simply correlation without causation?

Perhaps the reasons people are gay vary. I'm not sure why there would need to be a single cause for this - isn't it possible that people identify as gay for a whole range of reasons or factors and that no single factor triggers it? Maybe the sequence that led to a person being gay is almost unique to each individual?

Perhaps many people who identify as heterosexual would identify differently if they thought it would not adversely impact their lives?

Maybe the mother/early sexual experience/absent father line is simply correlation without causation?
Willing to settle in the middle ground.

I am surprised you aren't more interested in non-material explanations for people's sexuality. I remember the moment when I first began to understand sexuality. I was in Church, looking at the choir girls, and instead of seeing simply girls, they suddenly seemed breathtakingly beautiful! It certainly didn't feel as though I became heterosexual for any rational reason at all, nor did I feel I had any choice in the matter! The whole process could have been better described as a revelation!

David

I'll post the response from my trans kid. It seems fairly reasonable:

L O L. yeah I feel like if you only know like one or two gay people I can understand thinking that (people come up with all sorts of theories like that about trans people too) but once you meet a bunch of gay men and realize that their families /cultural and socioeconomic backgrounds are all so completely different, and that there have been people engaging in all sorts of queer behavior/relationships throughout time and cultures, it just makes no sense at all. also the trope of the "overbearing mother" seems... generally arguable.

I think people just want to figure out some sort of reason they can pinpoint to make themselves feel more in control (and sometimes to reassume themselves that their kids/nephews/etc wouldn't be queer).

Whoa, I come back to the forum to find this?

I know a lot of gay men, and none say being gay had anything to do with their mothers. That is another sexist cliche' -- a child is autistic? The mother. Child is gay? The mother. This is like some 1960s type thinking.

Can you link me to the research that says male children with older brothers increases the tendency to be gay? (And what does that have to do with "overbearing mothers"?) Or could it be that, statistically, the more male children in a family, the more likely one might be, you know, gay?

Do you believe your gay friend became gay because he was approached by an older man in a restroom? Or maybe in that moment, he realized that his feelings were not an outlier? (I am against older men approaching a child of any sex in a restroom, by the way, though I don't know how old your friend was at the time.)

And perhaps it is genes, or a combination of genes and environmental factors, or whatever. Why does it matter? I believe gay men and lesbians are telling the truth when they say they have always been attracted to the same sex. They don't need to find a "gay gene" to know this is true. Gay people have been around since the beginning of human history. It just IS. But the way we deal with it as a culture is different -- some cultures demonize, others "tolerate," and others accept them.

No disrespect to you, as you seem to be an intelligent, well-read fellow, but when it comes to this topic, I think you have failed here, and might be more informed by your personal beliefs, which is fine, but you should state those out-right.

L O L. yeah I feel like if you only know like one or two gay people I can understand thinking that (people come up with all sorts of theories like that about trans people too) but once you meet a bunch of gay men and realize that their families /cultural and socioeconomic backgrounds are all so completely different, and that there have been people engaging in all sorts of queer behavior/relationships throughout time and cultures, it just makes no sense at all. also the trope of the "overbearing mother" seems... generally arguable.

I think people just want to figure out some sort of reason they can pinpoint to make themselves feel more in control (and sometimes to reassume themselves that their kids/nephews/etc wouldn't be queer).

Your child sounds young -- I'm guessing late teens to maybe early twenties? She/he needs to flesh out their arguments a bit more, though they are off to a good start!

I'm prepared to bet I have more gay friends and acquaintances than anyone on this forum who isn't themselves gay, based on the areas I've worked in. So the claim I'm divorced from "queer" reality doesn't wash. Without getting into unfalsifiable cause and effect chains, I do think a lot of homosexual men (I have many fewer lesbian associates) have a range of environmental/social profiles that suggest same sex attraction is not exclusively biological. I think people latch on to biology because it de-problematizes the issue of same sex attraction, and places it as the same level as skin pigmentation and eye colour. Nor do I believe gayness is wholly experiential, I think straight people can be exposed to homosexuality without having any attraction to it. Some actively gay men are only attracted to straight men, who they identify with completely, and fail to see why they don't see the attraction. They clearly don't think homosexuality as a closed biological arena but an experiential one. Without labouring the point, I think there's a lot more going on with gayness than nature or nurture alone.

I am surprised you aren't more interested in non-material explanations for people's sexuality. I remember the moment when I first began to understand sexuality. I was in Church, looking at the choir girls, and instead of seeing simply girls, they suddenly seemed breathtakingly beautiful! It certainly didn't feel as though I became heterosexual for any rational reason at all, nor did I feel I had any choice in the matter! The whole process could have been better described as a revelation!

David
Put it this way, if Nature reported research that suggested people who believe in life after death were suffering vitamin D deficiency, would you consider it the last word on the subject? I don't think so. Most regulars here probably accept some form of Idealism or panpsychism as the way reality functions, a continued "dialogue" between transcendent reality and matter. So why when it comes to homosexuality do we assume it's an exclusively biological impulse awaiting the arrival of a complete genome, or a chemical imbalance looking for a "cure"? For political reasons, I suspect. We've moved as a society from homosexuals being depicted as predatory perverts to a suffering sainthood, and I think both are misplaced.

You were on to something when you asked whether homosexuals would prefer their offspring or sibling's children to be gay, but you didn't get a reply. I don't know the answer but I'd like to hear one. Mazda thinks it's a hangover from a previous existence. That sounds like the England football manager Glenn Hoddle's claim that disability was payment for karma (and which got him sacked) and I wouldn't want to go down that route, it's unprovable either way. You made a good comparison with cochlea implants, and the rights of the deaf to remain so. If homosexuality is a flaw, should medicine pursue a fix? All of this is mired in politics. I still maintain that same sex attraction is likely to be a combination of factors, and that conclusion is the most consistent with the majority view on this board of how reality works. If someone suggested cancer (and I'm certainly not equating same sex attraction with a disease, terminal or otherwise) or chronic back ache was the result of psychological factors, I bet most wouldn't bat an eyelid. We accept mind, body and psyche/soul/higher self work together to create the person, so the rush to biological judgement for homosexuality only fits physicalism. As I'm not a materialist, it's not a road I can go down. I'm not out to offend anyone (except the puritanical) and am only interested in people's sex lives and politics for the sake of discussion.

Back