Mod+ The Cult of Richard Dawkins

http://www.spectator.co.uk/features/9286682/the-bizarre-and-costly-cult-of-richard-dawkins/

Richard Dawkins website offers followers the chance to join the ‘Reason Circle’, which, like Dante’s Hell, is arranged in concentric circles. For $85 a month, you get discounts on his merchandise, and the chance to meet ‘Richard Dawkins Foundation for Reason and Science personalities’. Obviously that’s not enough to meet the man himself. For that you pay $210 a month — or $5,000 a year — for the chance to attend an event where he will speak.

When you compare this to the going rate for other charismatic preachers, it does seem on the high side. The Pentecostal evangelist Morris Cerullo, for example, charges only $30 a month to become a member of ‘God’s Victorious Army’, which is bringing ‘healing and deliverance to the world’. And from Cerullo you get free DVDs, not just discounts.

But the $85 a month just touches the hem of rationality. After the neophyte passes through the successively more expensive ‘Darwin Circle’ and then the ‘Evolution Circle’, he attains the innermost circle, where for $100,000 a year or more he gets to have a private breakfast or lunch with Richard Dawkins, and a reserved table at an invitation-only circle event with ‘Richard’ as well as ‘all the benefits listed above’, so he still gets a discount on his Richard Dawkins T-shirt saying ‘Religion — together we can find a cure.’

The website suggests that donations of up to $500,000 a year will be accepted for the privilege of eating with him once a year: at this level of contribution you become a member of something called ‘The Magic of Reality Circle’. I don’t think any irony is intended.

At this point it is obvious to everyone except the participants that what we have here is a religion without the good bits.

Do you mean the Richard Dawkins Foundation for Reason and Science? That's a 'religion'? It takes money to run foundations, his is for:
''
Founded in 2006 by Richard Dawkins, the foundation’s mission is to realize Richard’s vision to remove the influence of religion in science education and public policy, and eliminate the stigma that surrounds atheism and non-belief.""

If you have something against those goals, why not mention them?
Mel, this is a Mod+ thread. In case you don't know what Mod+ signifies, it means that the raiser of the thread does not want sceptical opinion here. That doesn't prevent you raising your own thread concerning this issue in the Critical Discussions Among Proponents and Skeptics forum. Anyone who wants to argue the point with you would be able to go to that thread, and this thread not be disrupted.

I suggest you read the forum rules here: http://www.skeptiko-forum.com/threads/forum-rules-please-read-before-posting.4/

Mel, this is a Mod+ thread. In case you don't know what Mod+ signifies, it means that the raiser of the thread does not want sceptical opinion here. That doesn't prevent you raising your own thread concerning this issue in the Critical Discussions Among Proponents and Skeptics forum. Anyone who wants to argue the point with you would be able to go to that thread, and this thread not be disrupted.

I suggest you read the forum rules here: http://www.skeptiko-forum.com/threads/forum-rules-please-read-before-posting.4/
I didn't realize it was MOD+...I'll delete my comment as well, as it didn't fall directly in line with the OP.

OK, I didn't know that, and that's fine with me, I wouldn 't even want to even talk to somebody doesn't allow being put on the spot for his positions. I guess I'm use to free and open, uncensored discussion, sort of like Socrates. Sorry for disrupting the tranquility here, and I won't post again.
If you're implying that there are sceptic forums out there that welcome criticism, about that I am sceptical. At least here you have a designated place to engage in critical discussion, and there are actually some proponents who like having a ding-dong there. Post something there if you like and I'll be happy to come along and rattle your cage if anything you say is worth responding to. Otherwise, the courteous thing to do is to respect the rules.

I wouldn't be surprised if Dawkins knew exactly what he was doing. Call him what you will, but he is a very intelligent man. I think he knows precisely how much like a cult and/or religion his own "following" is. Who knows, maybe in the end the entire thing will have been a ruse against the atheist community itself, showing just how evangelical they can be themselves. Wouldn't that be something!?

I wouldn't be surprised if Dawkins knew exactly what he was doing. Call him what you will, but he is a very intelligent man. I think he knows precisely how much like a cult and/or religion his own "following" is. Who knows, maybe in the end the entire thing will have been a ruse against the atheist community itself, showing just how evangelical they can be themselves. Wouldn't that be something!?
I think that's as likely as a deathbed conversion...