The Donald Trump Thread

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/15/us/politics/russia-hack-election-trump-obama.html?_r=0
Obama Says U.S. Will Retaliate for Russia’s Election Meddling

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/jul/12/obama-admin-sent-taxpayer-money-oust-netanyahu/
Obama admin. sent taxpayer money to campaign to oust Netanyahu

The State Department paid hundreds of thousands of dollars in taxpayers grants to an Israeli group that used the money to build a campaign to oust Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu in last year’s Israeli parliamentary elections, a congressional investigation concluded Tuesday.​

Here is another way the democrats' strategy backfired:

http://esr.ibiblio.org/?p=7268
African-Americans, trained by decades of identity politics, simply failed to show up for a white candidate in the numbers you [democrats] needed.

More from the same article:

the gender card doesn’t work any more either. Trump is a feminist’s worst nightmare. He won anyway. He came close enough to winning the entire female vote to trigger bitter post-election denunciations of American women in general by feminists
Here’s a hot tip: people you dismiss as retrograde scum will not, in general, vote for you.

For the first time since records have been kept, U.S. life expectancy went down during the Obama years, led by a disturbing rise in suicides and opiate addiction among discouraged unemployed in flyover country. A Democratic Party that fails to address that while it screws around with bathroom-law boycotts is willfully consigning itself to irrelevance.

Right now, you have nothing. You have less than nothing, because your instinctive solution repels the Trump plurality. They don’t want welfare, they want jobs and dignity and a modicum of respect. (And, just as a reminder, not to be dismissed as retrograde racists and sexists.)
Donald Trump’s victory reads to me like a realignment election, a historic break with the way interest and demographic groups have behaved in the U.S. in my lifetime.​

I think it will take a few more election cycles to see if Trump's victory is really a sign of a permanent realignment. The republican dominance at the state levels might be evidence of it while Obama may have obscured it to some extent because of his peronal popularity ... but Trump might be unique in his own way too. After Bush won they said the republicans will keep power because of demographics. After Obama won they said the same thing. It seems to me there is too much misinformation going around and too few voters take the time to really investigate the issues to make elections predictable.

Last edited:
http://www.azcentral.com/story/news...proves-obama-birth-certificate-fake/95444730/

Sheriff Joe Arpaio: 5-year investigation proves Obama birth certificate is fake
Megan Cassidy , The Republic | azcentral.com 9:12 p.m. MST December 15, 2016

Arpaio and his aides announced that a five-year probe had proved that Obama’s birth certificate from Hawaii in 1961 was, in fact, a forgery.

Sheriff Joe Arpaio says a new video analysis shows that parts of Obama's birth certificate were copied from another certificate. Arpaio says he will turn this new evidence over to the feds.
Arpaio said he planned on turning over the information to the federal government this month.

I just saw clips from Trump's rally today on the news, (paraphrasing):

first clip: we are going to have powerful defense forces but hopefully we will never have to use them.

2nd clip: We are going to destroy isis.

Maybe he will make a deal with isi that will destroy them?
I think perhaps he asked Kanye to 'destroy' them in a rap.

Hey Isis, yo kno yo outta luck cos,
I'm coming to destroy yo black rag wearing muthafuckas.

Or something.

I just saw clips from Trump's rally today on the news, (paraphrasing):

first clip: we are going to have powerful defense forces but hopefully we will never have to use them.

2nd clip: We are going to destroy isis.

Maybe he will make a deal with isi that will destroy them?

All he has to do is stop the West's support of them. No military action required.

"...according to the Democrats, the electors should overturn the results of a legitimately won election, because the Russians exposed the lies, deceit, corruption and collusion, of the Clinton campaign, the DNC, and the media."

https://pjmedia.com/instapundit/252109/

justtobeclear-600x435.jpg

Cyber attacks on US Federal Gov't Agencies

Mar 2012: NASA

Feb 2013: Department of Energy

Dec 2013 Federal Election Commission

Sept 2014 US Postal Service

Sept 2014 Nat'l Oceanic and Atmospheric Admin

Oct 2014: White House

Nov 2014: State Department

Apr 2015: Department of Defense

May 2015 Internal Revenue Service

Jun 2015: Office of Personnel Management

Where was the outrage when the NYT published Trumps stolen tax returns?

If Wiki leaks had dirt on Trump like they have on Clinton the reaction would have been different.

https://hbr.org/2016/11/what-so-many-people-dont-get-about-the-u-s-working-class
What So Many People Don’t Get About the U.S. Working Class
Harvard Business Review
Joan C. Williams
November 10, 2016
One little-known element of that gap is that the white working class (WWC) resents professionals but admires the rich. Class migrants (white-collar professionals born to blue-collar families) report that “professional people were generally suspect” and that managers are college kids “who don’t know shit about how to do anything but are full of ideas about how I have to do my job,” said Alfred Lubrano in Limbo. Barbara Ehrenreich recalled in 1990 that her blue-collar dad “could not say the word doctor without the virtual prefix quack. Lawyers were shysters…and professors were without exception phonies.” Annette Lareau found tremendous resentment against teachers, who were perceived as condescending and unhelpful.

Michèle Lamont, in The Dignity of Working Men, also found resentment of professionals — but not of the rich. “ can’t knock anyone for succeeding,” a laborer told her. “There’s a lot of people out there who are wealthy and I’m sure they worked darned hard for every cent they have,” chimed in a receiving clerk. Why the difference? For one thing, most blue-collar workers have little direct contact with the rich outside of Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous. But professionals order them around every day. The dream is not to become upper-middle-class, with its different food, family, and friendship patterns; the dream is to live in your own class milieu, where you feel comfortable — just with more money. “The main thing is to be independent and give your own orders and not have to take them from anybody else,” a machine operator told Lamont. Owning one’s own business — that’s the goal. That’s another part of Trump’s appeal.

Hillary Clinton, by contrast, epitomizes the dorky arrogance and smugness of the professional elite. The dorkiness: the pantsuits. The arrogance: the email server. The smugness: the basket of deplorables. Worse, her mere presence rubs it in that even women from her class can treat working-class men with disrespect. Look at how she condescends to Trump as unfit to hold the office of the presidency and dismisses his supporters as racist, sexist, homophobic, or xenophobic.

Trump’s blunt talk taps into another blue-collar value: straight talk. “Directness is a working-class norm,” notes Lubrano. As one blue-collar guy told him, “If you have a problem with me, come talk to me. If you have a way you want something done, come talk to me. I don’t like people who play these two-faced games.” Straight talk is seen as requiring manly courage, not being “a total wuss and a wimp,” an electronics technician told Lamont. Of course Trump appeals. Clinton’s clunky admission that she talks one way in public and another in private? Further proof she’s a two-faced phony.
The thing that really gets me is that Democrats try to offer policies (paid sick leave! minimum wage!) that would help the working class,” a friend just wrote me. A few days’ paid leave ain’t gonna support a family. Neither is minimum wage. WWC men aren’t interested in working at McDonald’s for $15 per hour instead of $9.50. What they want is what my father-in-law had: steady, stable, full-time jobs that deliver a solid middle-class life to the 75% of Americans who don’t have a college degree.
Remember when President Obama sold Obamacare by pointing out that it delivered health care to 20 million people? Just another program that taxed the middle class to help the poor, said the WWC, and in some cases that’s proved true: The poor got health insurance while some Americans just a notch richer saw their premiums rise.
So my sister-in-law worked full-time for Head Start, providing free child care for poor women while earning so little that she almost couldn’t pay for her own. She resented this, especially the fact that some of the kids’ moms did not work. One arrived late one day to pick up her child, carrying shopping bags from Macy’s. My sister-in-law was livid.
“The white working class is just so stupid. Don’t they realize Republicans just use them every four years, and then screw them?” I have heard some version of this over and over again, and it’s actually a sentiment the WWC agrees with, which is why they rejected the Republican establishment this year. But to them, the Democrats are no better.

Last edited:
I think perhaps he asked Kanye to 'destroy' them in a rap.

Hey Isis, yo kno yo outta luck cos,
I'm coming to destroy yo black rag wearing muthafuckas.

Or something.

I'm so tempted to make a skeptic vs proponent rap battle thread now....

I keep wondering how much longer our resident Trump supporters are going to keep pretending that he's an anti establishment saviour and that he saved us from the evil establishment.

He's admitted in his recent rallies that half the stuff he said was nonsense that he didn't mean, and we have his cabinet of billionaires full of lobbyists and people from the swamp he was supposedly gonna drain.

I keep wondering how much longer our resident Trump supporters are going to keep pretending that he's an anti establishment saviour and that he saved us from the evil establishment.

He's admitted in his recent rallies that half the stuff he said was nonsense that he didn't mean, and we have his cabinet of billionaires full of lobbyists and people from the swamp he was supposedly gonna drain.

I don't know of any Trump supporters here on Skeptiko, other than Hurmanetar? I do think they are a few British sympathizers, though.

Go on, I dare you! :) I'm sure David wouldn't be bothered.
I wasn't referring to David but I deleted the post because he might be a British sympathizer, and anyway I had second thoughts about finger-pointing. Everyone is allowed to have their opinions, no matter how screwed up. :)

I wasn't referring to David but I deleted the post because he might be a British sympathizer, and anyway I had second thoughts about finger-pointing. Everyone is allowed to have their opinions, no matter how screwed up. :)
What exactly is this about? I am indeed a supporter of Donald Trump, and Nigel Farage. I think there are a few other Brits here that lean that way.

By the standards of the Left when I was a young man, both these guys would count as left of centre.

David

Back