The Man Who Dreamed a Symphony

Imagine as a child you suddenly heard not just music in your head - but a full symphony note for note.
Imagine if it haunted you all your life until it broke up your marriage and you ended up living on the streets.
Imagine you finally persuaded a musician to write down the music and then worked for years raising enough money to employ a full orchestra to perform the symphony.
It all happened to Stuart Sharp and I've spent quite some time compiling the below links so you can follow the whole incredible story - and hear some of the symphony.
Stuart tells me a movie is in the offing.....

Watch this first

BBC interview today with Stuart
https://soundcloud.com/stuartjsharp/bbc-radio-4-stuart-sharp-interview-the-angeli-symphonywav

Newspaper account of his story
http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2013/may/18/experience-i-dreamed-a-symphony

Jim Davis interview with Stuart

Short clip from Jazz musician who helped Stuart write his symphony

8 minute clip of his symphony

Stuart’s book The Snow People
http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B00L8G68DI/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

Thanks for that Typoz - that was the same interview anyway but I used the Soundcloud link because it stood alone. It doesn't work for me now either.

Something I meant to make clear about his story....

As people may gather from the links, he got really motivated to write the music after the death of his new born son - but he first heard the music as a child - aged 11 I think.

The story ties in of course with the experiences of many musicians including Mozart, The Beatles and others who claimed some of their music arrived 'already written'. I remember John Denver saying that his famous Annie's Song came to him on a horse trail ride and he couldn't wait to get home to write it down.

And then of course there was medium Rosemary Brown who 'channels' quite a few famous dead composers.

So we have mediums channelling composers and composers saying they didn't compose it in the first place...one wonders who the heck did write it!:)

Do we really believe it was a bunch of angels?

Thanks for that Typoz - that was the same interview anyway but I used the Soundcloud link because it stood alone. It doesn't work for me now either.
By the way, I found the corrected version of that link now:
https://soundcloud.com/stuartjsharp...-with-stuart-sharp-and-his-angeli-symphonywav

So we have mediums channelling composers and composers saying they didn't compose it in the first place...one wonders who the heck did write it!:)
That's an interesting question, it almost goes around in circles with no obvious answer.

The above story and examples are major large-scale examples, and I don't have any experience of anything like that. However I did on once occasion have a dream in which a choir was singing in multi-part harmony a quite melancholy song which reflected some events in my life at the time. I tried to hastily make a note of the main melody line as I ate breakfast in the few moments I could spare before setting off for work. The result was a rather thin, single-line melody in the folk idiom. To this day I don't know where the tune came from, I don't compose music at any other time.

That's a pretty complex piece. It's not beginner stuff at all. There are certainly some familiar elements but the portion I heard surprised me in some of the unusual directions it took. It's a whole vision, not a bunch of pieces stuck together.

What I normally expect is for a piece to take a tune, usually a fairly simple one and keep building on it. Much of Beethoven's work is like that. He had a rather straightforward style, he just took it to unimaginable heights. His work is both catchy AND symphonic. This one didn't really have a melody you could hang your hat on, nor was it a mishmash, which I've also heard. Nor is it merely pedestrian. Paul McCartney did a symphony once and it is not this good.

So this homeless guy found out he needed a million pounds to realize his dream. Then he went out and made a million pounds in 15 years!!!!!. Wow. Just wow.

Yes Craig - this is really a wow story. I have suggested this guy to Alex for an interview. I have his email and have already fixed an interview with a survival family support group for him.
But no response so far from Alex - can somebody else nag him?

Yes Craig - this is really a wow story. I have suggested this guy to Alex for an interview. I have his email and have already fixed an interview with a survival family support group for him.
But no response so far from Alex - can somebody else nag him?
I agree that it's a 'wow' story, but I personally don't think he's the type of person that Alex wants/needs on the show. Apart from telling his story again, what do you think he could add ? What would Alex ask him ?