The Political Compass Test Thread

This is me:

Economic Left/Right: -2.62
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.46

pcgraphpng.php

For comparison:
axeswithnames.gif

Michael, I said jokingly you were a "leftist", but actually you're pretty close to the center in both dimensions. I'm betting I'll be in the upper-left quadrant.

This is me. It isn't what I had expected. I expected to be more "authoritarian" and more near the center:

Economic Left/Right: -6.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.26

pcgraphpng.php

That's insane Doug! You're an extremist!! :D And I'm completely opposed to you (on the L/R scale) - that's it, I'm never talking to you again. ;)

LOL... I'm a libertarian, Ian. I don't believe any person or group has the right to initiate force against another. I believe in voluntary cooperation among individuals and groups. I believe I own my body and my life, and the fruits of my labors are mine alone to use as I see fit. And personally speaking, I believe in compassion and charity for those less fortunate than me.

Doug

Jules said:
I have done the compass Doug and posted on the new thread. We have at least one dimension in common. So you see, we have found a bridge. You know I home schooled my children for 12 years because I wouldn't trust them to the State. My daughter went from home-schooled directly to uni. My son went in to a state school at age 13 (his choice). That was a disaster so we shifted him to a private school. Apparently that may reflect my libertarian streak. But its a leftish libertarian streak...:)

Yes, it looks like you're a left-libertarian, Jules. I'm impressed that you home-schooled your children. I wish more people would do so. It's actually illegal in some countries, you know.

Doug

Michael Larkin said:
And yet we seem to get on so well, Doug! :)

See, people with opposing political viewpoints can still have mutual interests in which they peacefully and voluntarily cooperate. The world is a better place for that.

Doug

Jules said:

Yes, it looks like you're a left-libertarian, Jules. I'm impressed that you home-schooled your children. I wish more people would do so. It's actually illegal in some countries, you know.

Doug
Yes, I'm aware. We have the best home-schooling legislation in the world in NZ. You have to teach as regularly and as well as in a state school but you don't have to teach the same curriculum. I unschooled and my kids have turned out voracious learners with 6 degrees between the two - and my son is about to start his third. (He was also Dux of his school, so don't let any tell you unschooling doesn't work)

LOL... I'm a libertarian, Ian. I don't believe any person or group has the right to initiate force against another.
Yes, it looks like you're a left-libertarian, Jules
I have trouble seeing how someone could rate completely at the bottom left corner. It seems if you go very far left, there's some coercion involved. I.e. if you compare me and Jules, my left-leaning answers might have lowered my libertarian score, and Jules' pro-libertarian votes might have lessened her left-leaning compared to me. Just an observation. I haven't studied politics & economics seriously. What do you think Doug? Can you think of a well-known figure who would fit in the bottom left corner?

If I refer to the first comparison graph above, it seems Jules, Michael and I are not "libertarians". We're in the "collectivist anarchists" quadrant.

Last edited:
Yes, I'm aware. We have the best home-schooling legislation in the world in NZ. You have to teach as regularly and as well as in a state school but you don't have to teach the same curriculum. I unschooled and my kids have turned out voracious learners with 6 degrees between the two - and my son is about to start his third. (He was also Dux of his school, so don't let any tell you unschooling doesn't work)

Wow, that's some achievement! Thanks to the Internet, home-schooling is becoming easier than ever. Lots of great resources online. One of the most thrilling, IMO, is the Khan Academy:

https://www.khanacademy.org/

Over the years, I've watched it grow from a few YouTube videos to a major player in self-education.

Doug

I have trouble seeing how someone could rate completely at the bottom left corner. It seems if you go very far left, there's some coercion involved. I.e. if you compare me and Jules, my left-leaning answers might have lowered my libertarian score, and Jules' pro-libertarian votes might have lessened her left-leaning compared to me. Just an observation. I haven't studied politics & economics seriously. What do you think Doug? Can you think of a well-known figure who would fit in the bottom left corner?

If I refer to the first comparison graph above, it seems Jules, Michael and I are not "libertarians". We're in the "collectivist anarchists" quadrant.
Agreed. I was drawing a relationship to Doug on just one variable.
I agree the scattergram would necessarily have a "lean". :-)

Wow, that's some achievement! Thanks to the Internet, home-schooling is becoming easier than ever. Lots of great resources online. One of the most thrilling, IMO, is the Khan Academy:

https://www.khanacademy.org/

Over the years, I've watched it grow from a few YouTube videos to a major player in self-education.

Doug
Interesting - don't know that one. I just focused on keeping the light turned on and following their interests. I tried not to direct them - I wanted them to find their purpose.

I find it puzzling that so many people buy into what some "test" outputs based on largely arbitrary points. At the base you have a bunch of people who think "Libertarians wear green shorts" and then formulate a quiz question of "what color shorts do you wear most often?"

I find it puzzling that so many people buy into what some "test" outputs based on largely arbitrary points. At the base you have a bunch of people who think "Libertarians wear green shorts" and then formulate a quiz question of "what color shorts do you wear most often?"
Its just a bit of fun Saiko. Don't take it to heart.

Back