Mod+ The Psychology and Science of Being Psychic

I just put this post up on Reality Sandwich:
The Psychology and Science of Being Psychic

This is a tremendously popular topic on my blog, The Weiler Psi. There are an awful lot of people out there who are absolutely starved for good information. And it's not surprising that this is so. Research into psychic ability is fairly common, but understanding about the characteristics that lead to psychic ability is not. This is not to say that researcher's haven't tried very hard to pin those characteristics down, they have, but it isn't very easy to do. Psychic ability is a unique ability.

Most people have no idea what constitutes a psychic person and it's hard to learn from TV, which presents a rather distorted picture. Is anyone for example really as good as Allison from "Medium?" (No, no one is ever that accurate. It's a TV show and subject to the need for drama over realism. However, much of what she does and how she does it is in line with what psychics actually do and certainly her personal life in the TV show reflects many of the challenges that psychic people actually face.)

Part of the problem is that being really psychic doesn't necessarily translate into good performance on tests for psychic ability. Psychologist Jim Carpenter, (who will be my guest on Jan. 15th in the Evolver Learning Lab) has a comprehensive theory of psi known as "First Sight" that explains this.

. . . . .

F

Frank Matera

Very nice. I pretty much resonate with everything you wrote.

What I have always found intriguing is that I have come across many Psychics that have all had similar horrific childhoods... if it wasn't an NDE it was more often that not sexual abuse. This made me start to hypothesis that these children were trying to "escape reality" and the physical and emotional pain they were going through and actually disconnecting from their physical bodies... which of course opened them up to being more prone to PSI.

Myself I have dyslexia... so much so that I can barely read the same line twice in a book and get the same thing. What I didn't know until only a few weeks ago is that my girlfriend who suffers from bipolar disorder opened up to me about her own experiences whenever she goes through one of the cycles... she has extremely spiritual experiences. It actually wasn't too dissimilar to what I have had in the past during OBE's or deep meditation. It was the first I had ever heard about bipolar sufferers having these spiritual experiences... so interesting to see you writing about it.

It made me start to wonder if bipolar and the neurological misfiring of the brain isn't actually creating delusion as much as it is actually opening up an opportunity in these sufferers where they are able to connect spiritually and see and hear things that others can't... because their brain for that period of time is not "getting in the way". Much in the same way deep meditation can slow the brain activity... so that the brain doesn't get in the way of spiritual experiences.

Very nice. I pretty much resonate with everything you wrote.

What I have always found intriguing is that I have come across many Psychics that have all had similar horrific childhoods... if it wasn't an NDE it was more often that not sexual abuse. This made me start to hypothesis that these children were trying to "escape reality" and the physical and emotional pain they were going through and actually disconnecting from their physical bodies... which of course opened them up to being more prone to PSI.

Myself I have dyslexia... so much so that I can barely read the same line twice in a book and get the same thing. What I didn't know until only a few weeks ago is that my girlfriend who suffers from bipolar disorder opened up to me about her own experiences whenever she goes through one of the cycles... she has extremely spiritual experiences. It actually wasn't too dissimilar to what I have had in the past during OBE's or deep meditation. It was the first I had ever heard about bipolar sufferers having these spiritual experiences... so interesting to see you writing about it.

It made me start to wonder if bipolar and the neurological misfiring of the brain isn't actually creating delusion as much as it is actually opening up an opportunity in these sufferers where they are able to connect spiritually and see and hear things that others can't... because their brain for that period of time is not "getting in the way". Much in the same way deep meditation can slow the brain activity... so that the brain doesn't get in the way of spiritual experiences.
Hi Frank. I think mental illness and the links with the spiritual dimension are very poorly understood. I have several friends with bi polar and all experience periods of spiritual expansiveness during certain times in the cycle. Bipolar is a very Western conceptualisation of something which has been around a long time in other cultures without the same type of negative associations. I think mental health disorders are what happen when a person loses control over their psychic opening, often in response to periods of stress and they become overwhelmed. Also Kundalini syndrome is often mistaken for biplolar or schizophrenia. At the moment Wiki has some good info on this.

Like many things there seems to be a requirement for many for the gene and the trigger to have psychic ability. If you ask about family history you often find secrets people don't talk about. I didn't know about my mother's psychic ability or that of other family members until I experienced a 'big event' which switched things on for me. There is even a book written about my great aunt's psychic life which I have only just obtained a copy of. She was a spiritualist, So there seem to be discernible patterns in how this stuff unfolds.

I'm not sure about 'escaping reality', although you might be right. I think stress creates a change in us beyond what we yet understand on a physical level. I find my endocrine system and digestion are very involved. When I open up my digestion shuts down and my endocrine system works harder. My husband has commented about how my body responds to the challenge of being 'on'. It turns off everything it doesn't need for survival. I also have a sense of a shield being down and my energy field being bigger. I don't know how this works but its very interesting.

Ask your girlfriend - does she see the colours?

Jules

Good topic. Until recent times the vast majority of mediums represented on UK TV (in daytime chat shows, mostly) were morbidly obese middle aged women, or gay men. Whether this is a representative of mediums generally, I don't know.

Hi Craig. I took a look at your site and found some interesting material about the characteristics of psychics. I wrote them down and handed them to my son asking him who this was. He responded that it was him. I have spoken to him about what may be in store for him over the last 2 years. He had his first OBE at age 12 (from memory). Previously he (metaphorically) stuck his fingers in his ears. This time he paid attention. So thanks for that.

Have you considered writing about transformative spiritual journeys? I think there are a cluster of experiences closely tied to psychic experience. I used to think they were not a Western phenomenon but now I know they are a cross-cultural phenomena. Just a thought...

Hi Craig. I took a look at your site and found some interesting material about the characteristics of psychics. I wrote them down and handed them to my son asking him who this was. He responded that it was him. I have spoken to him about what may be in store for him over the last 2 years. He had his first OBE at age 12 (from memory). Previously he (metaphorically) stuck his fingers in his ears. This time he paid attention. So thanks for that.

Have you considered writing about transformative spiritual journeys? I think there are a cluster of experiences closely tied to psychic experience. I used to think they were not a Western phenomenon but now I know they are a cross-cultural phenomena. Just a thought...
Hi Jules,
I know practically nothing about transformative spiritual journeys, never having had one myself. All of my successes have come from the long slow process of simply choosing to change and incrementally making the necessary adjustments as they came up. I've never had the big "Ah Ha!"

Hi Jules,
I know practically nothing about transformative spiritual journeys, never having had one myself. All of my successes have come from the long slow process of simply choosing to change and incrementally making the necessary adjustments as they came up. I've never had the big "Ah Ha!"
Fair point.